• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Should Wushu be included in the next Olympics?

Should Wushu be included in the next Olympics?

• Total voters

Loongsam

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know that the previous Olympics, Wushu was one of the events, but was taken out of this Olympics.

Put your vote here to tell us if your think it should be included in the next Olympics or not.

Last edited:

Himerus

Alfrescian
Loyal
why not ?
westerners are also into this sport.
we produce a few World Champions in this sport and have some local talents.
so maybe with this sport included in the next or future Olympics,we can get our own locally born talents to win us medals.
but i doubt it will be included in the next Olympic as it will be held in London - 2012.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most of the sports included in the Olympics are of western origins. Even games now dominated by China and other Asian countries, like badminton and table tennis, have their origins in the west.

Judo and taekwondo are Japanese and Korean martial arts but very popularly accepted and practised around the world. They're very well organised, structured and standardised, with little or no variance in the practices and rules. Even most Chinese (on mainland or overseas) practises judo or taekwondo instead of wushu.

Wushu doesn't seem to have that reach and appeal. I know that wushu is included in the SEA Games, like the regional game of sepak takraw, but I don't recall theese being included in the Olympics.

Last edited:

Loongsam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wushu doesn't seem to have that reach and appeal. I know that wushu is included in the SEA Games, like the regional game of sepak takraw, but I don't recall theese being included in the Olympics.

China is doing its best to have it included in 2020. Singapore will stand a chance of winning its medal if Wushu is included, as it has a strong following in RC activities here. :smile:

China is holding its own Wushu competition during this Olympics, from what I read.

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
Usually the host nation wil lobby for the type of sports to be included and if I'm not wrong there should be no fewer than 05 countries competing before it can be approved or sanctioned by IOC.

Loongsam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Usually the host nation wil lobby for the type of sports to be included and if I'm not wrong there should be no fewer than 05 countries competing before it can be approved or sanctioned by IOC.

For new events to be included, it has to be 2/3 from all representatives.
Tough call.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wushu are nothing more than dances. It a disgrace to call that martial art.

Shanda should be included but not Wushu.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
we should ban all events which requires an opinion based points!

That would take out gymnastics, diving, equestrian etc., but I think you have a good point. Opinion-based point-scoring events are more of shows than sports or games. However, these events are most unlikely to be scapped with the full backing of the big sporting powers (China, USA, Australia and many European countries).

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why no rugby? it shld be included

I find it strange that baseball is included. It's only played in a handful of countries in two regional clusters (North America and Far East), certainly much less than those playing rugby, as can be seen in the rugby World Cup, with participation of countries from all corners of the globe.