• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Without PAP there is no Singapore today!!

Sammy-LEEBe

I learn that PAP win 43 seat out of 51 parliament seat in 1963.

Singapore start grow with the leader ship of Mr.Lee start from 1965.

Singapore is fully independent from 9 Aug 1965 lead by PAP.

Without the leadership of Mr.Lee and PAP members Singapore will be just a small fishing village.

I do not understand why some Singaporean do not recognize the fact?

By the way, I am not local Singaporean.
This is what i think and please contribute your views ..:p

coolfire69

Alfrescian
Loyal

Without the leadership of Mr.Lee and PAP members Singapore will be just a small fishing village.

Without seeming to get into any debate with you, how can you be so sure that we will remain a small fishing village?

Last edited:

JWNY

Alfrescian
Loyal
i choose to think, looking at the quality of the PAP...and what the opposition has to offer, 66% can't be wrong

JWNY

coolfire69

Alfrescian
Loyal
i choose to think, looking at the quality of the PAP...and what the opposition has to offer, 66% can't be wrong

JWNY

Valid point on the quality of the opposition bro. But sometimes I really wonder whether the opposition's quality is, somehow, "controlled"??

amol

PAP and Singapore

Independence

The merger proved to be short-lived. Singapore was separated from the rest of Malaysia on 9 August 1965, and became a sovereign, democratic and independent nation.

Independent Singapore was admitted to the United Nations on 21 September 1965, and became a member of the Common wealth of Nations on 15 October 1965. On 22 December 1965, it became a republic, with Yusof bin Ishak as the republic's first President.

Thereafter commenced Singapore's struggle to survive and prosper on its own. It also had to create a sense of national identity and consciousness among a disparate population of immigrants. Singapore's strategy for survival and development was essentially to take advantage of its strategic location and the favourable world economy.

Coming of Age

A massive industrialization program was launched with the extension of the Jurong industrial estate and the creation of smaller estates in Kallang Park, Tanjong Rhu, Redhill, Tiong Bahru and Tanglin Halt. The Employment Act and the Industrial Relations (Amendment) Act were passed in 1968 to promote industrial peace and discipline among the workforce.

The Economic Development Board was reorganized in 1968 and the Jurong Town Corporation and the Development Bank of Singapore were set up in the same year In 1970, the Monetary Authority of Singapore was established to formulate and implement Singapore's monetary policies.

In 1979, after the shock of two oil crises, the Government started a program of economic restructuring. This was achieved by modifying education policies, expanding technology and computer education, offering financial incentives to industrial enterprises and launching a productivity campaign.

Public housing was given top priority. New towns sprang up and Housing and Development Board apartments were sold at a low cost. To encourage home ownership, Singaporeans were allowed to use their Central Provident Fund savings to pay for these apartments.

With the British Government's sudden decision in 1967 to withdraw its armed forces from Singapore by the end of 1971, Singapore set out to build up its own defence forces. The Singapore Armed Forces Training Institute was established in 1966 and compulsory national service was introduced in 1967. A Singapore Air Defense Command and a Singapore Maritime Command were set up in 1969. In August 1967, Singapore joined Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand to form the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

Singapore entered the 1970s as a politically stable state with a high rate of economic growth. The one-party Parliament that emerged from the 1968 general election became the pattern, with the PAP winning all seats in 1972,1976 and 1980. In the 1984 and 1991 general elections, the PAP won all but two and four seats respectively.

On 28 November 1990, a new chapter opened in Singapore's modern history Goh Chok Tong became the second Prime Minster of Singapore when he took over the office from Lee Kuan Yew who resigned after having been Prime Minster since 1959.

<http://asnic.utexas.edu/asnic/countries/singapore/Singapore-History.html>

JWNY

Alfrescian
Loyal
Valid point on the quality of the opposition bro. But sometimes I really wonder whether the opposition's quality is, somehow, "controlled"??
Going by the resources available...it is difficult for "change" when one has comfort bro :smile:

I look at other goverments in the region, and i ask myself at times, what kind of political climate would i prefer?

JWNY

jedilord

100 yrs ago, all the surrounding countries/states such as mynmar, melaka, penang , vietnam were more advanced than s'pore.

100 yrs on, s'pore has become 1st world and the rest hasnt progressed as much. its thanks to the government that we got food to eat, housing to live in, clean water, can hire maids. can you imagine if our women had to go to other countries to become maids? how would they be treated?

some other political party might have done a better job but we wouldnt know. as far as i am concerned, PAP has done well enough.

aman

Alfrescian
Loyal
100 yrs ago, all the surrounding countries/states such as mynmar, melaka, penang , vietnam were more advanced than s'pore.

100 yrs on, s'pore has become 1st world and the rest hasnt progressed as much. its thanks to the government that we got food to eat, housing to live in, clean water, can hire maids. can you imagine if our women had to go to other countries to become maids? how would they be treated?

some other political party might have done a better job but we wouldnt know. as far as i am concerned, PAP has done well enough.

I agree with you. 43yrs old now...still got many yrs to go on.
I hope after 100yrs still the same as now.

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
that is why i never understand the LKY basher.. to me LKY is GOD. Great character, Great leadership. if anyone has any sense and bothers to read up asia history,South east Asia in particular. He will understand why LKY did some of the unpopular things he did.:wink:

Peacock29

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree on the statement without "PAP there is no SG today"

But i personally feel, some policies lately had been debatable like the GST increase and the CPF increment of age of withdrawal

The GST refund etc help is a joke anyway.

Perhaps we do not have a big enough creditable opposition to oppose them as of now. We will see.

P.S. I am not saying PAP is not good, but i feel we need more creditable opposition in there.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore's success should be credited to the PAP. As ruling party, they did an excellent job to make Singapore what she was.

The PAP rule in Singapore, unlike what others think, is not homogenous. There are essentially three eras in Singapore political history.

There is the era of PM Lee Kuan Yew. It is essentially in this era that Singapore formed the foundation and built upon it. Some in a couple of forums are still using the excellent performance of that era to justify the present.

There is the era of PM Goh Chok Tong. It brings in a more compassionate side to the PAP where more dialogue was given to the public.

There is the era of PM Lee Hsien Loong.

This is the positive side.

There is the negative side.

There is also the question: Will this continue?

<Past performance does not guarantee future returns>

B

bluemilk

P.S. I am not saying PAP is not good, but i feel we need more creditable opposition in there.

its not easy to be a politician, minimum the person's got to be some CEO or big director of some company and has experience in dealing with thousands of staff. with this type of credentials, he would be also earning a big sum of money, if he wants to be a politician he would want to join the PAP and not the opposition.

the calibre of the current opposition is simply not good enough.

poorman4sex

Alfrescian
Loyal

whenever one individual or 1 single party stays in power for too long... it is not good for a country....
the members of the ruling party now are not the ones that bring make singapore today... they are just happily enjoying the fruits.
worst... they are demandiing more and more from the "trees" .... soon the tree will be dead~!

Last edited:

High Command

Alfrescian
Loyal
One very big difference is that the PAP of today is not the same as that of yester years. I admit they were good in the past but of late not so.

We need leaders not beaucrats! What we have now are beaucrats.

WOOHOO

Alfrescian
Loyal

yes just be happy with what we have. Man I can't imagine if my mum or sister had to work elsewhere as a maid. Damn that'll be very hard on them. I guess it's our thinking that has to change knowing what you want and what you need. We are a protected society which is safe and our female relatives also safe. They can come back at any time of the night and not worry about being mugged or raped. Can you imagine if Sg was like full of crime and so unsafe?? With safety and peace on hand of course we pay a price. A price of living and staying in SG. If you really cannot accept the fact then you always have a choice of leaving SG to venture abroad. Would You??

WOOHOO

Alfrescian
Loyal
One very big difference is that the PAP of today is not the same as that of yester years. I admit they were good in the past but of late not so.

We need leaders not beaucrats! What we have now are beaucrats.

no bro what we have now are dictators they decide we pay!! kekekeke!