• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China, GuangZhou Advice

SanShuGong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello all, would be visiting GuangZhou for a free and easy trip in May and it is my first time there. Can I have some advice on the following?

1. Best area to stay in terms of convenience in public transportation.

2. Places worth visiting as I only have 4 days.

3. Night markets in Guangzhou.

Thank you so much.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hi, would anyone be able to give some information about GZ?

I'll try to find something for you over the weekends. Too tired to do it tonight and tomorrow will be the busiest day for me in a week. Cheers :smile:

Erection69Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Credit goes to Wikitravel

Guangzhou is divided into ten districts. Among them, Yuexiu and Liwan, the cradle for the Cantonese culture, has been the city center since the imperial era. Tianhe, which was a farming village decades ago, has been constructed into a new business center with some biggest shopping malls and highest skyscrapers in the city.

Very useful map for first timer to GuangZhou

n1vwqw.png

Personally, I will recommend you to stay in Yuexiu area. Yuexiu (越秀 Yuèxiù) — The Zhongshan 6 Road area, which covers the original area of Yuexiu before its expansion in the 2005, has been the very core since 214 AD. Highlights include Yuexiu Park, Guangzhou Museum located at Zhanhai Tower, Orchid Garden, Mausoleum of Nanyue King, Guangxiao Temple, Temple of Six Banyan Trees, Beijing Lu Shopping District, Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall, Shishi Cathedral.

When to visit

In terms of climate, the best time to visit Guangzhou is between October and November. Alternatively, April and May are also good months. Guangzhou has a sub-tropical climate with humidity levels at their highest in the summer. Temperature can reach almost 40 degrees Celsius. Typhoon season is from June to September. Please note that the Canton Fair takes place annually during the Weeks from Mid-April to Early May and Mid-October to Early November, so finding accommodation at those times can be difficult and expensive.

Get around

Guangzhou has an efficient public transportation system. If you stay in Guangzhou for long time, purchase a multi-purpose Ling Nan Tong - Yang Cheng Tong (岭南通-羊城通) stored value card, which can be used to pay fares in metro, bus and ferries and used for many convenience stores, public phones and vending machines. However, to return the card at the end of the trip, you need to go Gongyuanqian (Exit J) and Tiyu Xi Exit G, and East Railway Station. (Exit HJ). It may be worth simply keeping the card as a souvenir.

Guangzhou Metro

Opened in 1999, the ever-growing Guangzhou Metro system covers much of the city center. The fare ranges from ¥2 to ¥12. Most of the signs and announcements are in Chinese and English. If you stay in Guangzhou for extended period, think of getting a Yang Cheng Tong transportation card. Card holders can get 40% off on any rides since the 16th uses in every month.
There are currently 8 lines in operation: You need to keep in mine these 3 lines.

Line 1 is the most useful for tourists, horizontally cutting through the center of Guangzhou. Five major stations Huangsha, Changshuo Lu, Chen Clan's Academy, Ximenkou, Gongyuanqian cover up to 80% tourist sights.

Line 2 runs horizontally through Guangzhou South Station and Yuexiu Park.

Line 3 is a Y-shaped eastern Guangzhou. The 'main line' runs from Panyu Square to the Tianhe Intercity Coach Station, whilst the 'branch line' splits off at Tiyu Xilu and heads towards Airport South.

ohcle.png

songsongpunggol

Alfrescian
Loyal
no need so much infos. they will confuse you. like watching travel channel?

just drop in an explore the place very much like singapore during the 60s and 70s.

with a little mixed of shenton way high rise.

you will be surprise. dunno ask the locals loh.

explore yourself and enjoy the solid food at solid prices.

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I find this really useful.

Denominations of Chinese Money

The basic unit of Chinese currency is the yuan (元 /ywen/), spoken colloquially as kuai (块 /kwhy/). There are 10 jiao (角 /jyaoww/), known colloquially as mao (毛 /maoww/), to the yuan. The fen (分 /fnn/), 1/100th of a yuan, is so seldom used now that fen coins and notes are almost out of circulation.

There is fake money in circulation in China and unscrupulous traders particularly look for opportunities to give it in change to foreigners or other unsuspecting people. See also Avoiding Tourist Traps for tricks to beware of. Particularly check 50, 20 and 10 yuan notes.

The image of Mao Zedong should not be blurred and you should be able to feel the embossed surface of his coat shoulder.
The metal strip should be of the correct width and in the correct position, well-embedded in the note.
The number showing the denomination of the note on the front bottom left should be white and sharp when you hold it up to the light.
The round symbol with a square in the middle (like an old coin) next to it, front bottom left, should line up with the like image on the back of the note when held up to the light.
Carry some low denomination notes when buying things on the street to avoid being handed fake money in your change. Also avoid showing large numbers of 100 yuan notes in public to avoid attracting the attention of thieves. Money belts virtually eliminate the risk of being pick-pocketed.

Always check your change to be sure that you have not confused jiao and yuan. Jiao notes and coins can be useful if you want to drop small change into a beggar's bowl.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Anyone can recommend a good hotel in GuangZhou at the YueXiu district?

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Going GZ end of this month. In order to prevent myself from getting stopped with fake RMB, I did this. :biggrin:

HVZh8oe.jpg

Took photos of all the serial numbers. Just in case any disputes when face with the common "fake currency scam"

My wife thought I was crazy :biggrin: :o

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Did quite abit of research on Guangzhou and it seems that there is not much interesting places to go save for the close proximity to Shenzhen, Macau and HK whereby tourist can do a multiple cities hop. Will be flying there this Thursday. Stay tune for more updates.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
GuangZhou - Transportation

First impression was good. There were different buses out the arrival terminal waiting for passengers to send them all over GuangZhou. Bus number 5 is probably one of the most popular as it zips through Yuexiu district and stops at HaiZhu Square, the old wholesale centre of GuangZhou. The new wholesale centre, Onelink Plaza is just within a stone throw away.

The bus system in GuangZhou is complicated, at least its complicated for tourists like me. I do notice that locals also have to keep referring to the bus destination board to determine the appropriate road.

The metro system in GuangZhou is brilliant. In fact, I'm very impress. There seemed to be attraction/places of interest in nearly every station. The rail system looks complicated but after 2-3 times of taking the metro, you'll get used to it. Do note that the ticket machine only accepts $5 and $10 notes. So keep a lot of these if you are taking the metro often.

Taxis are not as clean as Singapore and the starting fare is $10RMB. There is a surcharge of $2.60 if you are taking the cab within the GuangZhou City. I have taken the taxi 6-8 times when I was there and each trip was smooth.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Got take the train to Dongguan or not? :o

Only managed to go to Foshan, Huangqi. :biggrin:

My travel mates got the best one dragon service in their life and mine was just ordinary. CIM and GFE feeling only. They had CIM, AR, lick toes, ice & fire treatment. Haizzz...Handsome men always got special... :(

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
Only managed to go to Foshan, Huangqi. :biggrin:

My travel mates got the best one dragon service in their life and mine was just ordinary. CIM and GFE feeling only. They had CIM, AR, lick toes, ice & fire treatment. Haizzz...Handsome men always got special... :(

Aiyah, wrong direction.
If you taken the train in the other direction, next stop would have been Dongguan and after that HK! :wink:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Aiyah, wrong direction.
If you taken the train in the other direction, next stop would have been Dongguan and after that HK! :wink:

Tomorrow then update this. Will touch on the saunas tomorrow. Little tigress lurking around me :o

Goodnight :biggrin:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This is how GZ regulates its metro passenger traffic. I remembered that TW uses a similar system. Surprised that Sinkieland do not do that.

4AC1CC90-0A24-4DA7-A664-78228E7C92D4-1927-0000012E7D10813D_zps231a8251.jpg