• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Want to move Australia...

merlino

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys,

I was in Perth for 2.5 years studying and graduated with an Arts degree.

After graduating, I applied to work, but didn't pursue hard the idea after getting no replies, so I packed and returned to S'pore - a decision which I now regret dearly.

2 years of working in S'pore passed since, now I have never felt more than ever the urge to relocate to AU. Firstly, my current gf who is Australian will be working in Adelaide.

I don't know if I'd be able to get PR because I am not sure if an Arts degree will work in my favour. However, I am working in IT now, my job being heavily Linux based. I am very open to working in any fields of work, as long as I am offered work there. I understand that the idea of finding work in AU is far fetched, given the preference to allocating work to residents/citizens.

Besides marrying an Australian, what are my options to move? Should I take up another course of study?

Pointers?

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys,

After graduating, I applied to work, but didn't pursue hard the idea after getting no replies, so I packed and returned to S'pore - a decision which I now regret dearly.

2 years of working in S'pore passed since, now I have never felt more than ever the urge to relocate to AU. Firstly, my current gf who is Australian will be working in Adelaide.

I don't know if I'd be able to get PR because I am not sure if an Arts degree will work in my favour. However, I am working in IT now, my job being heavily Linux based. I am very open to working in any fields of work, as long as I am offered work there. I understand that the idea of finding work in AU is far fetched, given the preference to allocating work to residents/citizens.

Besides marrying an Australian, what are my options to move? Should I take up another course of study?

Pointers?

For skilled migration route, the DIAC will require you to have a degree/ certified qualification, in the case of IT, it would be an IT degree. An arts degree might not do unless it is in one way or other related to your profession, even then you may only get about 40/50 points instead of the full 60. You should also not be >45. However, as your partner is an Aussie, one option that you could consider is partner migration but you must first be married to your partner for that. Not very sure about your arts degree but most employers prefer people to have local Australian experience before they could consider them for permanent positions so your best bet would be to go for a temp/ contract role for a few months to a year and then use that as a leverage to go on to a permanent job. The economy is not really good but that having said, many employers would prefer to hire staff on contract instead of committing themselves to full time staff so you may have an advantage if you are going to be looking for a temp position.

merlino

Alfrescian
Loyal
For skilled migration route, the DIAC will require you to have a degree/ certified qualification, in the case of IT, it would be an IT degree. An arts degree might not do unless it is in one way or other related to your profession, even then you may only get about 40/50 points instead of the full 60. You should also not be >45. However, as your partner is an Aussie, one option that you could consider is partner migration but you must first be married to your partner for that. Not very sure about your arts degree but most employers prefer people to have local Australian experience before they could consider them for permanent positions so your best bet would be to go for a temp/ contract role for a few months to a year and then use that as a leverage to go on to a permanent job. The economy is not really good but that having said, many employers would prefer to hire staff on contract instead of committing themselves to full time staff so you may have an advantage if you are going to be looking for a temp position.

Hi Satan,

Thanks for the reply.

Would Australian employers be keen on hiring foreigners for a temp/contract position? Would that be considered "Employer Sponsored Workers"? I always had the impression that employers would only hire residents.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Satan,

Thanks for the reply.

Would Australian employers be keen on hiring foreigners for a temp/contract position? Would that be considered "Employer Sponsored Workers"? I always had the impression that employers would only hire residents.

Well,unfortunately no. Most employers would rather hire someone who is a citizen or permanent resident even if it is for a temp/ contract position unless the position involves some very sought after skills that could not be found or is very difficult to find in the local market or you are being transferred to Oz by your company that has an office here. There is however a working holiday visa where a person may be able to work as a tourist for a period of time but that only applies to certain countries like the UK, US or some other countries in Europe, (I'm not sure of the list but please feel free to check the DIAC website) and if I'm right, Singapore is not one of them.

merlino

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well,unfortunately no. Most employers would rather hire someone who is a citizen or permanent resident even if it is for a temp/ contract position unless the position involves some very sought after skills that could not be found or is very difficult to find in the local market or you are being transferred to Oz by your company that has an office here. There is however a working holiday visa where a person may be able to work as a tourist for a period of time but that only applies to certain countries like the UK, US or some other countries in Europe, (I'm not sure of the list but please feel free to check the DIAC website) and if I'm right, Singapore is not one of them.

Yeah, you're right, S'pore unfortunately is not in the work holiday visa scheme. What are my options? Should I go rogue, rough it out 3 months on a tourist visa and hunt for work there?

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah, you're right, S'pore unfortunately is not in the work holiday visa scheme. What are my options? Should I go rogue, rough it out 3 months on a tourist visa and hunt for work there?

I wouldn't recommend that you do that as your chances of finding any employment would be very slim and you would have to then go back to Singaproe after just having wasted time and money and feeling demoralized. Look to get your PR before embarking on your job search. There may be more than one option. Your study in Perth could qualify you for some additional points.

merlino

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wouldn't recommend that you do that as your chances of finding any employment would be very slim and you would have to then go back to Singaproe after just having wasted time and money and feeling demoralized. Look to get your PR before embarking on your job search. There may be more than one option. Your study in Perth could qualify you for some additional points.

I do need to meet the min. required number of points before I can get to apply for a PR, don't I?

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am actually surfing the site (http://www.immi.gov.au/) as I type this reply. Yes you are right, it is 120 points. Is there a program that can help me to work out the number of points I have?

I think the website has got a link that enables you to compute the number of points. Have a go through of the website. It has got all the details and is very informative.

U

UpYoz_olo

Guys,

Pointers?

Can sell backside also.
:oIo::oIo::oIo:

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can sell backside also.
:oIo::oIo::oIo:

The point is about working in Australia is that one has to be persistent. Even after no replies, you have to keep on sending. But it must be said that about an arts degree, I have read about Arts graduate students- in a Murdoch(actually its Curtin, my bad) student newspaper- who have high honours and yet unable to find a good paying job. Instead they have had to be satisfied with jobs that pay less and which doesn't appeal to their passion.

So in a way, its not only arts students who are suffering in Singapore. Even Australia, a more receptive country to arts in general, has a similar situation.

I guess most Arts students might start wanna applying to be lecturers in an university..even a teaching job might be a decent starting point.

Last edited:
U

UpYoz_olo

It is easier to sell backside in Singapore. :cool:
Do not need to migrate to do that.

Arh....., start a thread on starting biz in Oz lah. I don't know why people juz cannot switch mindset away from wanting to be employed. Why? Aren't you sick of taking orders from ppl? How far can non-whites climb the corporate ladder? Pleaseeeee.

Now, I hope to get some good discussions on set-up, startup and operating issues in Oz. State levels, province levels as well as city levels. Man, there are very successful non-whites doing honest biz in Oz lah. Don't think have to join triads to be successful right? Wrong?

How's that.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Arh....., start a thread on starting biz in Oz lah. I don't know why people juz cannot switch mindset away from wanting to be employed. Why? Aren't you sick of taking orders from ppl? How far can non-whites climb the corporate ladder? Pleaseeeee.

Now, I hope to get some good discussions on set-up, startup and operating issues in Oz. State levels, province levels as well as city levels. Man, there are very successful non-whites doing honest biz in Oz lah. Don't think have to join triads to be successful right? Wrong?

How's that.

You can do well in setting a small business operation catering to a few ethnic groups. And because the Rudd government is trying to boost small business growth, I expect there will be pressure to reform the tax system so as to boost small businesses which now employ more Australians, and Australian residents.

But as for going up the corporate ladder for bigger companies, I do not know yet because I don't have the real data. Assumptions do not make real data. If I do that, I'm basically lying and making a false impression. So I shall not do that at all.