• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kids below 9 not welcome in "high-class" tea house

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
16459.jpg

In upholding the civility of enjoying English tea with style in a building retroffied with old world charm, the owner of a tea house has set a few rules for customers.

First, kids under the age of nine are not allowed in Mrs Christina Lim's Chris Tea House, a Upper Paya Lebar shophouse that has been restored to resemble a Victorian building.

Second, customers are encouraged not to conduct business meetings over the tea tables and place chunky materials like files and business plans on them.

While Mrs Lim is absolutely right to enforce such rules to allow genuine tea lovers to enjoy the stylish English tea ritual in peace, it has also offended those who don't quite understand the philosophy behind the guidelines.

One angry mother said it was unfair to ban her three-year-old as he enjoyed eating designer macarons and tea.

But there are those who prefer not to have children around in genteel venues like Chris' Tea House.

Mrs Lim's move to keep young children away was nothing new or unusual although most hotels serving afternoon tea or Sunday brunch do not turn away children.

There are fine-dining places that ban children as they behaviour can be unpredictable. Certain orchestral concerts and music recitals also ban kids.

While most kids don't cause trouble in restaurants, we do see the occasional brat upsetting the peace. And you certainly don't want kids running into expensive crockery at fine-dining places or mishandling them.

Explaining her position on the cafe's Facebook page, Mrs Lim said: "Chris' Tea House is suitable for adults gathering and corporate functions. Children below age 9 are not allowed as we do not have food/drinks suitable for them. The place is also not conducive for the small ones. Considerate parents should bring their young ones to places where kids' food are served and space for them to enjoy."

On disallowing business meetings to be conducted over a cuppa, she said on Facebook: "My intention of opening this tea house is for adults to relax with friends and business partners to communicate. However, meetings with files and plans being laid down all over the tables should not be done in this small tea house."
This would deprive customers, genuinely there for tea or food, of adequate space to enjoy it what with the tea paraphernalia that's laden on the table, from tea cup with saucer and the cutlery, to serving plate and the tiered tray.

Instead of turning away such customers, she offers them a thoughtful solution - she has office space for ad-hoc rental if they want.

While stating clearly her cafe's dos and don'ts might reduce misunderstandings with customers, the unwritten ones that fall in fuzzy grey zones could turn out to be problematic.

Just like the recent case between her and customer Kenneth Lee, who aired his unhappiness online.

He was taken aback when she kicked up a fuss over her stained floor tiles after his friend's glass tipped over the table edge and broke on the expensive flooring.

She could not believe that his friend could be so careless in a setting which called for one's attention to handling and placing fragile china and glassware in a safe manner.

So who says it's only kids who can be so blur or ungovernable?

But many netizens are up in arms after a representative of Chris' Tea House, in a reply to Mr Lee on SoShiok.com, called him "cheapskate" for he had the cheek to make a lot of complaints when he had bought only the cheapest drink on its menu.

She also reminded him that he was visiting a "high-classed" cafe.

That angered Mr Lee and many netizens, who saw her response as being condescending. So they have called on people to boycott the tea house.

Read the latest posts by netizens -> HERE (http://www.soshiok.com/where_to_eat/restaurant/article/2332)

But there are also those who felt that Mr Lee had been unreasonable too. Like wanting to split his group of eight into four so that each pair could take up a table each, hence depriving subsequent walk-ins of a table in the small 25-seat cafe.

They also urged him to tell his friend to pay for the broken glass and removal of floor stains.

While the debate on who's right, who's wrong rages on, it's clear what both parties want and expect, and hopefully the twain shall meet.

Mr Lee and his supporters would like restaurant owners to treat the customer like a king with good service, and be flexible in accommodating their requests.

On the part of business owners like Mrs Lim, they would like the customer to observe restaurant rules and etiquette for certain food traditions so that the majority of the customers could enjoy them.

They also expect customers to have a sense of decorum and respect for the eatery and its staff. And understand that they must run a viable business.

With the opening of more eateries serving a wider variety of cuisines from different nationalities and the entry of new restaurant owners, perhaps it would be good to promote the different kinds of dining etiquette and the right customer service.

Then the dining scene would see fewer of such spats.

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some sinkies doesn't seems to realize that not all places are for kids...

No money to hire baby sitter or maid, isszit?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why don't she suggest:

a) all passengers must come in horse drawn carriage, accopanied by butlers
b) gentlemen in tophats and suits
c) ladies in hats & corsets

to be in line with the atas - victorian setting?

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder if the day will come when Singaporeans bring their kids to Geylang, insisting that kids be permitted

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some sinkies doesn't seems to realize that not all places are for kids...

No money to hire baby sitter or maid, isszit?

Kids below 18 should be banned. Bloody spoiled rascals most of them. Why should other customers pay to tolerate their nuisiance?

why don't she suggest:

Good idea. That should be the way to enjoy an aftenoon's high tea.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why don't she suggest:

Ah!, she must provide hitching post, outside the shop, & supply a scoop & bucket; must conform to NEA directive 12529 & AVA directive 69696969 & LTA permit No: 20112345678. So troublesome, just go coffee shop , order set A & forget about breaking the glass. When i was younger, there used to be shops like this, but for the common people, where you order tea or coffee ( usually tea), they will bring a tray of cupcakes or cakes, you pay for what you eat. They used to have one in Chinatown & that Red Coloured Cake shop in Katong. A bit upper class, will be some Cafe, I couldn't remember, I think Polar Cafe at High Street, you get scones etc, with English Breakfast Tea
. You don't have to worry about the floor tiles or decor or drop crumbs on the floor. What an Obnoxious cafe this woman is running.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Where got people call customer cheapskate for ordering the cheapest drink? if like that, then dun place that drink in the menu loh.

She say her cafe is "high-class" but her action very "low-class" leh.

But many netizens are up in arms after a representative of Chris' Tea House, in a reply to Mr Lee on SoShiok.com, called him "cheapskate" for he had the cheek to make a lot of complaints when he had bought only the cheapest drink on its menu.

She also reminded him that he was visiting a "high-classed" cafe.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If can rubba chiobu mother then I dont mind LOL

lianbeng replies, "such things always happen at high tea mah u dunno meh?":biggrin:
man: hey u look familiar, my upstairs new neighbor? gee, u look sexy in that gown - ops theres a chocolate stain on ur shoulder.
woman: hey ya saw u downstairs with ur lovely wife n kids. maybe can have tea at - my place or ur place?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng replies, "such things always happen at high tea mah u dunno meh?":biggrin:
man: hey u look familiar, my upstairs new neighbor? gee, u look sexy in that gown - ops theres a chocolate stain on ur shoulder.
woman: hey ya saw u downstairs with ur lovely wife n kids. maybe can have tea at - my place or ur place?

Woman: " Hey!, ya!, saw you downstairs with your lovely wife & kids"
Man: "Dammit!, there goes the tea party & the fish got away":biggrin:

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal

Are you Ramseth clone LOL

Always sian charbor one LOL

Last edited:

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
why don't she suggest:

Yeah, and she should rename the place to White Horse Cafe, where only the whitest of white horses are welcome. :biggrin:

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
why don't she suggest:

hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. red, not even london does that type of setting mah.
3. honest, i had attended some tea thing while revisiting london and many parts of england.
4. yes, the embience and setting is serene and very pleasant.
5. definitely not a place for small children.
6. one more thing: got to dress for the occasion too!

Last edited:

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
First of all in all fairness, she is right in imposing a children ban because most sinkies parents really do not know how to control their infestation! Second of all, the risks of breaking the cutleries & sinkies just never have the courtesy to offer to pay for the damage is very real! But on hindsight, such things do not need to be spelled out clearly if she is really high class in her upbringing, and also Paya Lebar of all the location in Singapore, high class???
Stupid bitch most probably grew up in a HDB estate most probably the damnedest of all like Bukit Ho Swee or some dilapidated estate in the 70's or 80's and happen to hook up with a "HIGH CLASS ANG MO GUI from BRADFORD" equally trying to shake off his public housing social welfare upbringing!

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Lianbeng is not my clone. He's not qualified. Nobody is as qualified as me in linguistics and looks.

hi there

1. ram, linguistics no comment hoh!
2. but for looks, from that pic, you are more than above average (for your age).