• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lee Hoon Leong - grandfather of Lee Kuan Yew

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Lee Hoon Leong - grandfather of Lee Kuan Yew[/h]

lee%20hoon%20leong.png
Lee Hoon Leong

Situated at a nondescript corner of Bukit Brown Cemetery sits the grave of one Lee Hoon Leong. If one had not known better, one would just give it a cursory glance, just as one would perhaps the more than 100,000 other graves at the graveyard just off Lornie Road. But Lee Hoon Leong is no ordinary man, given the distinguished lineage of which he is part of, and his role especially in the early life of his grandson, Lee Kuan Yew, the former Prime Minister and Minister Mentor of Singapore.

In his memoirs, Lee Kuan Yew refers to his immigrant background as a fourth-generation Chinese Singaporean: his Hakka great-grandfather, Lee Bok Boon (born 1846), emigrated from the Dapu county of Guangdong province to the Straits Settlements in 1862.
“My grandfather, Lee Hoon Leong - whom I addressed as Kung or ‘grandfather’ in Chinese - was born in Singapore in 1871, and according to my father was educated at Raffles Institution up to standard V, which would be today's lower secondary school,” Lee Kuan Yew said in his memoirs. “He himself told me he worked as a dispenser (an unqualified pharmacist) when he left school, but after a few years became a purser on board a steamer plying between Singapore and the Dutch East Indies. The ship was part of a fleet belonging to the Heap Eng Moh Shipping Line, which was owned by the Chinese millionaire sugar king of Java, Oei Tiong Ham.”
Lee Hoon Leong later became a managing director of the Heap Eng Moh Steamship Company Ltd.
“In between his travels he married my grandmother, Ko Liem Nio, in Semarang, a city in central Java. There is a document in Dutch, dated 25 March 1899, issued by the Orphan's Court in Semarang, giving consent to Ko Liem Nio, age 16, to marry Lee Hoon Leong, age 26,” Lee Kuan Yew said in his memoirs.
Lee Hoon Leong had two wives, five daughters and three sons. Lee Chin Koon, one of the sons born to Lee Hoon Leong and Ko Liem Nio, would marry Chua Jim Neo who gave birth to Lee Kuan Yew, their eldest son, in 1923, at 92 Kampong Java Road in Singapore.
Lee Kuan Yew would later marry Kwa Geok Choo in London in 1947, and would have three children, one of whom is the current prime minister, Lee Hsien Loong.
One of Lee Hoon Leong’s daughters, Lee Choo Neo, “was the first woman medical doctor in Singapore. She overcame a level of cultural hostility to attain this distinction, and her concern for the status of other women led her to help establish the Chinese Ladies' Association of Malaya, in which she was active for many years. Lee was also a leading member of the Malayan Branch of the British Medical Association.”
Lee Hoon Leong’s influence over the family was notable even in the names he chose for his grandsons. In those days, it was unusual to adopt British names. However, Lee Hoon Leong, who had much respect for the English, felt that his grandchildren should have these names. Thus, “Harry” was picked for Lee Kuan Yew, a name which, while seldom used by the former Minister Mentor himself, is nonetheless well-known as his English name. Lee Kuan Yew “was mostly known as ‘Harry Lee’ for his first 30 or so years, and still is to his friends in the West and to many close friends and family. He started using his Chinese name after entering politics.”
A cursory search of the Internet reveals that the name has a German origin and means “home ruler” or “Army ruler” or “house ruler”.
Lee Hoon Leong had risen to riches but saw his fortunes decline with the Great Depression in the 1930s. His son Lee Chin Koon “recalled his childhood in a wealthy family, and a time when he was allowed a ‘limitless account’ at Robinsons and John Little, two high-end department stores in Raffles Place.”
“My grandfather was very fond of me and I used to visit him and live with him on weekends and school holidays,” Lee Kuan Yew recalled in an interview.
Lee Hoon Leong passed away just after the Japanese occupied Singapore in 1942.
At his grave at Bukit Brown Cemetery, the picture on Lee Hoon Leong’s tombstone could hardly be seen. But when our photographer, Han Thon, converted the photo to black & white, the face in the picture became more visible.
dsc_2030-2.jpg
Lee Hoon Leong's tombstone - unclear picture

dsc_2030.jpg
Lee Hoon Leong - picture clearer in black & white

lee%20hoon%20leong%20grave%20640.jpg
Lee Hoon Leong's grave (Picture by Jacklee, WIkipedia)

Inscriptions:
Top Right Hand Side: Guandong
Top Left Hand Side: Dapu (China, where Mr Lee originated from.)
In the middle: Xiankao (ie male) Yunlong ("cloud dragon", name of the deceased) Ligong (Mr Lee) fen (grave).
Bottom RHS: Minguo 31st year established (this is around 1942).
Bottom LHS: July 11th died.

---------------
Further readings:
Lee Bok Koon – Lee Hsien Loong’s paternal-great-great-grandfather.
Lee Hoon Leong (wife Ko Liem Nio) – Lee Hsien Loong’s paternal great-grandfather.
Lee Chin Koon (wife Chua Jim Neo) – Lee Hsien Loong’s paternal grandfather.

matamafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
这个证明李光耀不是真正姓李的。

已经很多书写李光耀的妈是跟荷兰洋人鬼混怀来李光耀这个野种,然后赶快嫁给姓李的客家人。

所以他姓李的(便宜假)爷爷样子跟李光耀根本不像。跟他姓李的客家(便宜假)爸爸也不像。还有李金耀,李泉耀这些姓李的弟弟的样子也一点都不像。李光耀就有一些洋人样子。体高也比他所有的(假)姓李的弟弟,爸爸,爷爷高。

因为那个和李光耀妈妈怀野种的荷兰洋人就是像李光耀这样的高个子。姓李的弟弟,爸爸,爷爷比一般人矮。肤色也比李光耀深。李光耀的肤色具有洋人的白。

李光耀所以一直出卖亚洲人保护洋人的利益。他自己知道自己不是姓李的客家人。他不知替日本皇军当汉奸,也替所有的洋人西方势力当汉奸。因为他知道自己就是洋人所生的野种!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
chinese ladies' association of malaya (clam) played an important role in the clamping of male genitalia in between two clam shells. appropriate acronym for asian aunties who have authority over their arseluck assbands.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can bet that when they build the new road across bukit brown cemetery, this grave will not be disturbed. So much for equality.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can bet that when they build the new road across bukit brown cemetery, this grave will not be disturbed. So much for equality.

It's a nostalgic place for me. When recruit in PA, every Saturday X-country run around there. Didn't even know famous people were buried there until recent news.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, with the whereabouts of the tomb being reported, expect Tonychat to report there soon and kneeling and begging for his RC's job back.

prinzy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a lit bit sad. Judging from the condition f the tombstone and surroundings, the tomb had been poorly maintained and not visited regularly. Have we forgotten our ancestors? How are we going to explain to our children and teach them filial piety? Maybe a new culture had been preached.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a lit bit sad. Judging from the condition f the tombstone and surroundings, the tomb had been poorly maintained and not visited regularly. Have we forgotten our ancestors? How are we going to explain to our children and teach them filial piety? Maybe a new culture had been preached.

LKY is a very, very pragmatic man.
A dead grandfather is of no use to him.