• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mudland citizen consumed average 320 eggs a year

jw5

Loyal
The recommended egg intake is about 3 per week, which comes to about 150 per year.
That's because of the high cholesterol in the yolk.
One egg a day is pretty easy, considering that there is egg in mee siam, mee rebus, lontong, etc.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You go die lah, you try eat 1 egg a day lah...

I've averaged an egg a day for the last 10 years with no adverse effects. Annual blood tests show everything within an acceptable range cholesterol included.

I'm sure most sinkies would be consuming an average of an egg a day too. They just don't realise it because it's served as an ingredient in some other dish.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
February 11, 2009 10:17 PM

An Egg A Day Is OK!

(CBS) A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association reverses what we've thought to be true for a generation. Researchers say there is no link between egg consumption and heart disease. CBS News Correspondent Elizabeth Kaledin reports.

"People are afraid of eggs because the cholesterol is so high and their reputation is so bad," said researcher Dr. Frank B. Hu, a nutritional epidemiologist at Harvard School of Public Health. "But eggs, per se, I don't think they deserve such a bad reputation."

Diabetics, however, did face higher risks of heart attacks or strokes with increased egg consumption, according to the study.

Researchers analyzed the diets of more than 100,000 people for at least eight years. They found that when it comes to dietary cholesterol, eating one egg a day or two every other day, won't hurt you.

"Eggs weren't really as bad as they were made out to be, and this study provides the most direct evidence that the case against eggs has been overstated," Dr. Walter Willett of Brigham and Women's Hospital says.

Because eggs are high in cholesterol, there is often the misperception that they are also high in saturated fat. But they're not, and saturated fat is the real villain when it comes to heart disease.

Big egg eaters tend to have high fat diets according to the American Heart Association, which says that eggs are okay, as long as you give up the buttered toast, bacon or ham that go with them.

"Does it vindicate the egg?" asks Dr. Alice Lichtenstein of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's nutrition center at Tufts University in Boston, who is also an AMA spokesperson. "Well it just reconfirms that the egg can fit into a heart healthy diet."

That's music to the ears of the American Egg Board which has campaigned for years to mend the egg's cracked reputation.

Donald Macnamara heads the Egg Board's Nutrition Center.

"This is a marvelous day for the egg," he says. "We've waited 20 years to get this kind of good news that shows the public eggs are not a heath risk."

However, Lichtenstein warns that the new data doesn't conflict with AMA recommendations that people limit their consumption of dietary cholesterol to no more than 300 milligrams a day. A large egg contains about 215 milligrams of cholesterol, far more than most other foods with the same number of calories.

But she agreed with the study's authors and what many experts have said for a long time: that it is more important to limit consumption of saturated fats and trans fats -- the processed fats that make doughnuts, commercial cakes and french fries so delicious.

Hu, whose study was funded by the National Institutes of Health, noted that past research has shown dietary cholesterol to be less of a culprit than initially believed in raising levels of cholesterol in the blood. He said his is the first to actually look at whether egg consumption had an effet on the rate of heart attacks and strokes.

Meanwhile, diabetics who averaged eating one egg daily were at significantly higher risk than diabetics eating one egg or less a week.

Diabetes alters the body's ability to use cholesterol, a fatty substance important to in building cells and in making hormones. Cholesterol becomes an artery-clogger when the body develops an excess.

Copyright 2009 CBS. All rights reserved.

jw5

Loyal
I've averaged an egg a day for the last 10 years with no adverse effects. Annual blood tests show everything within an acceptable range cholesterol included.

I'm sure most sinkies would be consuming an average of an egg a day too. They just don't realise it because it's served as an ingredient in some other dish.

That's probably true.
In addition to the malay dishes, there's also egg in char kway tiao, mee goreng, chye tow kuay, egg prata, some sandwiches, some soups, etc etc.
Not forgettting omelettes, sunny side eggs, salted egg, etc.
If too worried, be like Jerry Seinfeld and order egg white omelette! :p

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have 6 or 7 eggs a day before to bulk. Nothing. Helped me bulk too. I'm not even big anyway.

I also used to eat low carb high fat,high protein diet close to the ketonic diet and it helped me lose weight cos i had a bit of a tummy that time due to eating too much rice.

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritionist/f/eggs_protein.htmAnswer: Eggs are nutrient dense (lots of vitamins, protein and fats), and they're energy dense, at about 80 calories per egg. That makes sense when you think about how a fertilized egg has to feed a baby chick until it hatches. The eggs you eat are not fertilized, but all of the nutrients are still present.
One egg contains over six grams of protein and several important nutrients. Unfortunately, one eggs also contains about 212 mg of cholesterol, which is quite a lot. Since the recommendation for cholesterol consumption is about 300 mg per day, the large amount of cholesterol in eggs may prevent many people from eating them.

The cholesterol in eggs really shouldn't scare you away from eggs completely. Most of the cholesterol in your body is made by your liver and the amount of cholesterol in your diet may not have as big an impact on your blood cholesterol as people once thought. You can eat one egg every day without harming your cholesterol and other blood-fats.

That's really good news for dieters because the combination of fats and protein means eggs are very satisfying. Eating one egg as part of a healthy breakfast may help you lose weight by keeping you from getting hungry later in the morning.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i consume easily 1000 eggs a year ... no big deal

chicken eggs or ......?

miyabi_sushi001.jpg

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a rule you should not rely on any studies not done by some who has previously not be nominated for a Nobel prize. The more nominations, the better.
February 11, 2009 10:17 PM An Egg A Day Is OK! Copyright 2009 CBS. All rights reserved.
k

Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was reading Star, omg.... Why they eat so much of eggs?

I think I eat about 2 egg/day on average. Bread/cake also have egg.
Plus I always eat 2 half boil egg in morning few day/week( about 2 or 3 day/week)
So 320 egg/year is not alot.
So far my health is good.