• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP, SPP, PKMS joins SDP soccer tournament

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In 2009 SDP organized the "Opposition - Where To?" forum. Unlike the recent SDP conversation, most opposition parties attended. It is noticeable that after 3 years, SDP has not pushed for it to progress into something more. Instead the process just repeats.

It is no surprise that their critics think it is to showcase themselves to look like the leading opposition party.

Actually since 2009 there were several attempts by the SDP to get the opposition together in a loose alliance, especially just prior to GE2011, to strategize and avoid multi-cornered fights. Some propositions were made behind the scenes, inviting the various oppo leaders to a closed door meeting, but they all fell through in the end.

There are many reasons why it's so difficult to get the opposition to co-operate – clash of egos, differing agendas, lack of trust – but you certainly can't blame the SDP for lack of effort.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually since 2009 there were several attempts by the SDP to get the opposition together in a loose alliance, especially just prior to GE2011, to strategize and avoid multi-cornered fights. Some propositions were made behind the scenes, inviting the various oppo leaders to a closed door meeting, but they all fell through in the end.

There are many reasons why it's so difficult to get the opposition to co-operate – clash of egos, differing agendas, lack of trust – but you certainly can't blame the SDP for lack of effort.

No one is saying SDP didn't put in effort. Certainly WP has put in one of the least efforts in this area. I am trying to reconcile some things I see that the private attempts to forge opposition unity do not match public attempts.

Example, SDP is not seen at forums organized by other parties. Not that it is the only one not to do so, but because here it is claiming to be the best worker on opposition unity. SDP also wanted to contest Tampines last round despite it being a NSP turf. Again I know WP is eyeing there but it has never claimed to be a unity worker.

SDP also needs to tidy up the party internally. I know at least 5 out of 11 candidates have resigned and some members too. Not many people may know because the PAP MSM doesn't see SDP as a threat and chooses to report only if it is WP candidates that resign, but if SDP want to work with other opposition parties, they may need to work among themselves internally first.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am trying to reconcile some things I see that the private attempts to forge opposition unity do not match public attempts.

AFAIK, the SDP now prefers to make private conciliatory moves so as to give the various parties more room to manoeuvre should things not work out.

Example, SDP is not seen at forums organized by other parties. Not that it is the only one not to do so, but because here it is claiming to be the best worker on opposition unity.

If SDP was not seen at a forum, it probably wasn't invited in the first place. CSJ has never backed down from inter-opposition co-operation.

SDP also wanted to contest Tampines last round despite it being a NSP turf.

Am not aware SDP ever wanted to contest Tampines. The east was never SDP's stronghold. Probably misinformation.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
AFAIK, the SDP now prefers to make private conciliatory moves so as to give the various parties more room to manoeuvre should things not work out.

That should have been the way from the start. The forum and this SDP conversation was never necessary.

If SDP was not seen at a forum, it probably wasn't invited in the first place. CSJ has never backed down from inter-opposition co-operation.

You don't need to wait for any invitation. Nothing is stopping him from appearing as an audience.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

I heard of this

One of these " intention" was when a female SDP rep approach GMS privately and ask if SDP could stand in Tampines GRC instead of NSP.

GMS been the gentleman that he is, said: NUTS!!!!!!!!