• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wow - SDP Heard the Masses

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nearly flipped when I saw this. Looks like they got an accurate idea what Singaporeans think of them. Spot on all points. In typical asian style of not losing face by admitting it, at least it is good to know that they are reading the ground. Wonder if someone new has joined them.

Tuesday, 03 February 2009
Singapore Democrats

Through the years, much has been said about the SDP. As a result many views have been formed and propagated about what we stand for, our beliefs and how we go about achieving our goals – some accurate and others completely false.

We take a moment here to address these misconceptions so that Singaporeans can get a better understanding of the party. The information below will also be useful to counter the propaganda put out by the PAP.

Misconception No. 1: The SDP is not interested in parliamentary elections

Parliamentary elections are the cornerstone of a functioning democracy and we cannot emphasize more that we see elections as the only legitimate way of political parties gaining power. We have taken part in every election in the past and will continue do so in the future.

What we don't believe in, however, is that an opposition party, under present political circumstances, should focus exclusively on elections. This is because elections in Singapore are not free and fair. The PAP amends electoral rules to suit its own needs, controls the media, and victimises opposition leaders. Where else in the world can a prime minister openly say that he needs to "fix" the opposition and "buy" votes -- and get away with it?

The truth is that it is impossible for the opposition to make any meaningful inroads into Parliament through the existing electoral process. This is why, over and above taking part in elections, opposition parties – together with civil society – must work to reform the election system.

What the SDP wants to see is a truly fair parliamentary election system in Singapore, one acceptable by international standards.

Misconception No. 2: The SDP wants to effect change through "extra-legal" means

As explained above, when effecting change through undemocratic elections is impossible other peaceful, non-violent approaches are the only other options open.

What the SDP is fighting for are the freedoms of speech and peaceful assembly for Singaporeans, rights that are enshrined in our Constitution. They are the building blocks of free and fair elections without which we cannot press the Government to reform the electoral process.

But when the PAP continues to violate the Constitution and bans citizens from peaceful assembly, Singaporeans must stand up and protect our Constitution. The only way that this can be achieved is by defying the repressive laws put in place by the PAP.

Protecting the Constitution is not extra-legal because the Constitution is the supreme law of the country. It is the PAP that has resorted to extra-legal measures by violating the supreme law of the land.

Misconception No. 3: The SDP is an extremist party that advocates breaking laws

Let us be absolutely clear: Citizens cannot go about breaking a law just because they don't agree with it. This is not what civil disobedience is about. Civil disobedience is about standing up and not submitting to unjust laws put in place by governments to deny citizens their most basic rights. These rights are universally accepted as inalienable to all persons and the PAP has no right to take them away.

In fact it is the PAP that does not adhere to the rule of law. Case in point: The police arrested Tak Boleh Tahan protesters on 15 Mar 08 while allowing Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) members to conduct their protest. Such discrimination clearly infringes Article 12 of the Constitution which demands that the law must apply equally to all without favour or fear.

We, the Singapore Democrats, are protecting our Constitution and there is nothing extreme about that. In fact it is the duty of all citizens of this republic to stand up for our Constitutional rights.

In any democratic society, we would be considered a moderate party. It is only in an authoritarian system that the ruling party tries to brand reformers as extremists.

Misconception No. 4: The SDP does not offer constructive alternative ideas

Like the other misconceptions, this is one that the PAP likes to spread despite abundant evidence to the contrary.

Way back in 1994 the party adopted Dr Chee Soon Juan's book Dare to Change: An Alternative Vision for Singapore as its manifesto. The book explicitly spells out alternative policies as well as the rationale for these ideas, including those for the economy, politics, society, culture and the arts, education and the media.

These ideas were subsequently expanded in Your Future, My Faith, Our Freedom: A Democratic Blueprint for Singapore. They are further developed in A Nation Cheated. Our flagship publication, The New Democrat, and pamphlets consistently focus on our alternative ideas to the PAP programmes. A look at Our Manifesto in this website would nail the lie that the SDP does not offer constructive alternatives. The latest example is our Budget proposal to help Singaporeans and the economy.

But Singaporeans don't know much of this because the state media will not publish our ideas and keeps printing lies that the Singapore Democrats simply criticise and don't offer constructive ideas.

Misconception No. 5: The SDP is only interested in human rights and not bread-and-butter issues

The SDP has always been at the forefront of raising concerns about the escalating prices of essentials. Again, a quick glance through this website would show clearly that issues such as health care costs, CPF savings, public transport fares, etc are regularly addressed.

The ongoing Tak Boleh Tahan campaign, for example, is one of our main programmes to ensure that the Government keeps the cost of living affordable. The plight of working Singaporeans and SMEs remain high on our agenda. In fact during the general elections, we zero in on pocket-book issues such as the minimum wage, retrenchment entitlements, and the Singaporeans First Policy.

The reason why the wider public does not realise this is because the mass media censor much of what we say and do, especially on pocketbook issues that we raise. A good example is their refusal to report our proposals for this year's Budget.

At the same time, however, it is important to bring up human rights matters. Human rights and bread-and-butter issues are two sides of the same coin. In order for us to talk to the people about issues that concern them, we need freedom of speech. Without this freedom we cannot effectively communicate with the people.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

It amazes me how they have tried to errrr square a circle , or slot a camel through the eye of a needle. " We take part in elections but we do not believe that the present system is fair and transparent. The last other official statement stated that they took part in the elections because they felt that it was a " means of political education."

I believe that the SDP should stop whining about how bad and unfair the present system is and concentrate on winning seats. Does anyone believe that the PAP will reform an unfair electoral system which stacks the odds against the opposition to the advantage of the PAP ? Does anyone believe that ten , or even a hundred people getting arrested will shake the foundation of PAP political power ? Civil action can work hand in hand with Political Power as the Malaysian Opposition has proved but Political Power and the ability to gain political power REMAINS the Primary driving force with everything else being surbodinate including demonstrations and getting arrested. Anwar the DAP etc etc all were electable before they decided to get themselves arrested. They have put the civil action cart before the political horse.

The route might be unfair , tough, odds stacked against one and all, the 300 Opposition spartans against the Persian PAP hordes, etc etc but it is the only viable option that exists.

Whats the other alternative ? Show boating conferences ? Demonstrations ? Letters to G Bush , and Obama ? Getting arrested ? As it stands civil disobedience remains a novelty and for civil disobedience to gain even the remotest chance of forcing change on the PAP it must have mass in the hundreds.

Lastly with regards to the TBT campaign being demonstrative :_)) You might note what they were getting arrested for in the years leading up to the TBT arrests and that will show whether they are in fact more interested in Human Rights than Bread and Butter issues.

Locke

Last edited:

guavatree

Alfrescian
Loyal
more donations for CONBOX, please/:p

old fart faggot fake monk PAP dog Bob Sim Kheng Hwee,

temple thief, swindler, fraudster, cheat, con-artist, liar, hypocrite, deceiver, all rolled into one!

your PAP prostitutes' CONBOX?

did you donate with money you stole from the temples?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

It amazes me how they have tried to errrr square a circle , or slot a camel through the eye of a needle. " We take part in elections but we do not believe that the present system is fair and transparent. The last other official statement stated that they took part in the elections because they felt that it was a " means of political education."

Locke
Well said Bro. A real "gem" of an explanation. As I said, its the Asian mentality of not losing face. Initially I thought it was fake.until I saw the their explanation.

I was genuinely surprised that they came out with this. They were right about each and every misconception. I am sure there is a new kid in their block.

Actually the PAP is another well known entity who will acknowledge an issue, but refuse to admit its a mistake and then come out with another angle.

Hopefully they will revamp their website to make it relevant to Singaporeans. The neighbourhood ah soh and ah pek have no clue about swiss bank accounts, money laundering etc. It might make a lot of sense to some washington based NGOs but the for the Kopitiams in the heartland its liak boh que.

The other thing that they have to address is their current lot of supporters. The humane thing to do is to shoot them in the head to spare them the agony and move on to platform relevant to Singaporeans and something that will crucify the PAP. Already one appeared and seems truly lost for words. Could not complete the sentence or raise an argument or provide an explanation. Funny lot, the non members seem more SDP than the SDP.

A

Alu862

if they claim to be so people centred and hard fighters for democracy, why have they not made success like Zimbabwe's opposition? Or Aun San Suu Kyi? Why have they not receieved congressional medals or Nobel Prizes for peace? Why have they not even won the hearts and minds on residents in PP or in Hougang?

A

Alu862

Face it. No one wants to give up their iphone or their branded underwear and join a disgruntled sacked lecturer and protest. No US President, not even the "change" BHO will bother imposing sanctions on Singapore, who incidentally keeps Western firms money safe in the islands's tax haven. No UN Secretary General has bothered to criticise or prompt Security Council action to on this island.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I get the feeling that the article appears to be "timed", in the sense that this is the first day of a period where politics would be active - the Budget Debate - and earlier the news about LTK scoring a point over PAP and with anti-PAP netizens.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps some SDP gurus could enlighten me on these:

1) I am sure the SDP is interested in parliamentary elections except not the unfair elections that the PAP have put in place. Then again, the only elections in Singapore are the "PAP elections". So how does the SDP expect the changes they are looking for by contesting?

2) Why do they contest elections when they believe "extra-legal" means are the only way to change?

3) I don't think the SDP is only interested in human rights and not bread-and-butter issues but they do give the former much, much more coverage, such as their court trials taking up most of their website news. Is there any way the SDP can make more statements instead?

I have no serious disagreements with the rest and feel they are well-written.

A

Alu862

1) I am sure the SDP is interested in parliamentary elections except not the unfair elections that the PAP have put in place. Then again, the only elections in Singapore are the "PAP elections". So how does the SDP expect the changes they are looking for by contesting?
(They are not interested in proper debate. The pick constituencies because they have a grudge eg KBW's GRC)
2) Why do they contest elections when they believe "extra-legal" means are the only way to change?
(They lost the talent ot contest ever since they kicked out Chiam. From a 3 seat majoirty to nothing)
3) I don't think the SDP is only interested in human rights and not bread-and-butter issues but they do give the former much, much more coverage, such as their court trials taking up most of their website news. Is there any way the SDP can make more statements instead?
(Interested in bread and butter issues? They are more interested in aire dirty laundry of others. We do not know how clean the SDP is. Where is the information of their finances? )
(Fake Glamour. Even a Zimbabwean opposition member writes better).

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I get the feeling that the article appears to be "timed", in the sense that this is the first day of a period where politics would be active - the Budget Debate - and earlier the news about LTK scoring a point over PAP and with anti-PAP netizens.

This is not a new initiative, neither is it a cursory issue. Its a fundamental look at the operating philosophy or the attempt to address or explain it since Chee took over Chiam.

Not once in press conferences, interviews, GE, website or even with foreign groups has this surfaced. Chee has spoken, commented, written and articulated on many things except the perception of the masses. Though the author explains it away as one pundit puts it "threading a camel thru a needle", it nevetheless is a landmark document as it addresses what many have been saying including supporters, detractors and observers.

The error of course is that it gets buried in the budget debate which will take centrestage. My sense is that the timing is tactically flawed as I suspect that some who are not leaning towards SDP will do so now as the explanation may be welcomed by them.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP / Chee have always come with very well written documents and speeches from day one and that includes his books. Its the relevancy and appeal to the voting masses that seems odd.

Sorry, are you by any chance a new singaporean or have recently returned after many years away. Just curious as your questions and comments seem to suggest that.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps some SDP gurus could enlighten me on these:

first and foremost - what is sdp? who's manning it? then we come to the objective - the real issue: what really do they want? win wards or continue to go to jail, fined and/or bankrupted?

the real objective is simply this:

chee is using a bunch of brained washed goondus to execute his personal vengeance against the familee, the gov and then ending it with "fixing" singapore, the country that rejects his ideology.

think about that. does he really care if he were to be voted in as an mp and represent the peasants?

jw5

Loyal
SDP / Chee have always come with very well written documents and speeches from day one and that includes his books. Its the relevancy and appeal to the voting masses that seems odd.

Sorry, are you by any chance a new singaporean or have recently returned after many years away. Just curious as your questions and comments seem to suggest that.
Bro
At least the SDP dares to take on the PAP.
Let's at least give them credit for that.
Much more than what we can say for the rest of us.

guavatree

Alfrescian
Loyal
old faggot Bob Sim BULLSHIT !!!!

think about that. does he really care if he were to be voted in as an mp and represent the peasants?

old fart faggot fake monk PAP dog Bob Sim Kheng Hwee,

temple thief, swindler, fraudster, cheat, con-artist, liar, hypocrite, deceiver, all rolled into one!

fuckwit you care? how?

steal temple money bash your father call your mother LAU-CHEE-BYE

cheat and con 'frenz' try to con property steal handphones passwords

steal tienlor snails even steal men's undies ... LOL