• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Workers Party. The only opposition in the world helping the ruling Party

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please explain how do you rate SDP as a third rate party? I would rather trust the SDP and NSP than the WP. Please remember you do not speak for ALL opposition Singaporeans. I for one certainly do not think that the WP is the only one which is trusted and viable. In fact, I do not even consider the WP as trusted and viable, let alone being considered the only one. Just my two cents. Thanks.

He may not speak for all opposition supporting Singaporeans, but looking at the numbers from GE2011 it's fair to say that he speaks for most opposition supporting Singaporeans. Sure there are some who would disagree but these people are in the minority.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
He may not speak for all opposition supporting Singaporeans, but looking at the numbers from GE2011 it's fair to say that he speaks for most opposition supporting Singaporeans. Sure there are some who would disagree but these people are in the minority.

To Trust SDP is like trusting the Tea Party in America

mojoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would rather trust the SDP and NSP than the WP. Please remember you do not speak for ALL opposition Singaporeans. I for one certainly do not think that the WP is the only one which is trusted and viable.

nothing more need be said; GE2011, Hougang and PE speak volumes; go with the flow; channel your energies into making WP even more credible; MCFs in elections will exist and more so because of the egos of these other anti establishment politicians ....

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
nothing more need be said; GE2011, Hougang and PE speak volumes; go with the flow; channel your energies into making WP even more credible; MCFs in elections will exist and more so because of the egos of these other anti establishment politicians ....

SDP already saw they were no match for Hammer.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hope that SDP, which claims it is a great supporter of democracy, will encourage MCF in the areas it will stand in GE2016. :biggrin:

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quote Originally Posted by alantan27 View Post
I think singapore need a second opposition party in parliament. If not there will be one day when WP has enough seats , they will from a coalition with PAP. This will be back to square one again

This is a forum that is free for all. There is no need to call another person stupid just because that person thinks differently from you. Please do not be too arrogant to judge alantan27's comments as ignorant. The WP is not the only opposition party in Singapore. There is a silent group of opposition supporters here in this forum who are not WP's worshippers. The WP supporters here are judging and "bullying" other opposition supporters so much so that many of us do not feel like talking here anymore. I won't be surprised that someday soon Sam's forum would become "WP forum". Please do not forget the phrase of "dissent in democracy". It is dissent that gives strength to democracy :-)

perhap he dont know that it need a 2/3 majority to change the consitiution.

WP can merge with PAP to get this 2/3 Majority.

This is just a case of stupid people call other stupid

It alway happen in life

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It alway happen in life

This is stupidity at its extreme. Every member here knows it except you.

Who doesn't know that it takes 2/3 majority to change the constitution? At the moment, PAP can do this outright without need for any opposition's help. What you don't seem to know is that in a two party parliament, the winning party which is given the right to form the govt must already have a majority in parliament (otherwise how can it be the winning party?) and does not need any coalition to form the govt. Most laws and policies, including the White Paper on Population, can be passed with a simple majority and the ruling party do not need further votes from any other party.

Of course if they need to change the constitution they will need enough votes from the other party to obtain at least a 2/3 majority? But that is not a coalition. It is simply a vote of parliament. Even today, if some members of the PAP vote against a motion to amend the constitution, it will not be carried although PAP already got more than 2/3 of the seats. But you know PAP can use the whip.

But you seem to imply if that second party is SDP instead of the WP, PAP will not get its 2/3 majority on a constitutional issue. What makes you so certain?

Last edited:

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It alway happen in life

Wow I don't even have to prove that you are stupid, you are doing an excellent job doing that yourself.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
The way most of these SDP supporters make their points is the clearest indication why that party will never again get one of its candidates elected as an MP. :biggrin:

mojoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
i do not subscribe to the notion that we need a second opposition party in parliament; if any succeed to get in, then the electorate in that constituency must be accorded wisdom status and gain our respect, in that they see a tortured way forward if the incumbents can continue to bulldoze their way with disastrous policies; it needs more than noise, antics, debating skills and intelligence, to be able to get elected; i see none in the making yet, in other opp parties; charisma, patience, dedication and common sense is what many lack, in my view; LTK, CSM and SL are by now held in high esteem in the eyes of voters; the WP brand which they champion is coming across as credible and this is what matters; lets not cut our nose to spite our face; this brand brought LLL into parliament when coupled with extreme unhappiness on the ground; i am not a die hard WP supporter but see value in what they are doing and that it will be good for Singaporeans; we have about 3 years before the next GE and lets all work together for the common good; lots need to be done and lets cooperate and help WP develop into a formidable entity; we have waited for 30 long years ...

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the WP radicals believe in the annihilation of rest of opposition parties. only WP should represent the opposition cause in parliament. interesting mindset. the WP radicals are actually reactionaries too. today PAP has 60% votes, 90% seats. tomorrow if WP win 60% votes, they will have 90% seats too. i don't want to see both scenarios happen. PAP or WP. 60% votes and 90% seats. that's why we must really have some sort of proportional representation in the electoral system.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
the WP radicals believe in the annihilation of rest of opposition parties. only WP should represent the opposition cause in parliament. interesting mindset. the WP radicals are actually reactionaries too. today PAP has 60% votes, 90% seats. tomorrow if WP win 60% votes, they will have 90% seats too. i don't want to see both scenarios happen. PAP or WP. 60% votes and 90% seats. that's why we must really have some sort of proportional representation in the electoral system.

It is a simple notion of "to the victor the spoils". Why should the one who is the most popular distribute what he is entitled to to the rest? It makes no sense. Seeing the likes of CSJ or Ravi Philemon in parliament despite they being 3rd or 4th placed finishers is scary thought. :eek:

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is a simple notion of "to the victor the spoils". Why should the one who is the most popular distribute what he is entitled to to the rest? It makes no sense. Seeing the likes of CSJ or Ravi Philemon in parliament despite they being 3rd or 4th placed finishers is scary thought. :eek:

At this point in our country's political history, I do not think we can afford to put party before the country. There is no need for the WP (and their supporters) to think that they are the only people who can lead the opposition forward. You may have your prejudice against CSJ and Ravi, but there are other people who consider them as genuine and courageous opposition. My point is let the people decide, and let the various opposition parties, as well as the WP, work hard to win the votes of the people during the next three years before the GE in 2016. There is no need to be a wet blanket to write off the other opposition parties besides the WP. We all know that it is not easy to take the position of an opposition party in Singapore. The opposition uphill task against the PAP is a very difficult and thankless job. Our part is to support, encourage and motivate them as they fight the common enemy, which is the PAP. If the WP is not over-ambitious and greedy, there will be enough electoral seats during the next GE 2016 for the various opposition parties to share. Just my two cents. Thanks.

Last edited:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
At this point in our country's political history, I do not think we can afford to put party before the country. There is no need for the WP (and their supporters) to think that they are the only people who can lead the opposition forward. You may have your prejudice against CSJ and Ravi, but there are other people who consider them as genuine and courageous opposition. My point is let the people decide, and let the various opposition parties, as well as the WP, work hard to win the votes of the people during the next three years before the GE in 2016. There is no need to be a wet blanket to write off the other opposition parties besides the WP. We all know that it is not easy to take the position of an opposition party in Singapore. The opposition uphill task against the PAP is often a hard and thankless job. Our part is to encourage and motivate them as they fight the common enemy, which is the PAP. Thanks.

See what votes CSJ got in 1997 in a contest he asked for. See what votes Kenneth Jeyaretnam got in the PE BE -- 1.2%. Indeed, the people do decide. And indeed people are prejudiced against some politicians and not others. That is what politics is all about. It is not about everyone accepting that all politicians are equal. The PE BE saw how much unequal politicians are. :biggrin:

mojoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
the WP radicals believe in the annihilation of rest of opposition parties. only WP should represent the opposition cause in parliament. interesting mindset

wrong; annihilation? .. misconceived; i am not one who believes that only WP should represent the oppposition cause; BUT so far none have risen above the ashes; only WP proved themselves capable and savvy to get into parliament; rhetorics get you no where with the electorate

mojoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our part is to support, encourage and motivate them as they fight the common enemy, which is the PAP. If the WP is not over-ambitious and greedy, there will be enough electoral seats during the next GE 2016 for the various opposition parties to share. Just my two cents. Thanks.

share ... are we talking abt a piece of cake; we are talking abt people's lives; of course capable people who believes in democracy should be voted in but they must be able personalities ... so far i see none except the WP leadership and strategy that landed us with 7 in parliament; we can encourage and motivate but leaders have not appeared YET in other opp parties; we cannot wait too long hence i am throwing my lot with WP

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jeya seemed to think that being armed with a double first from Cambridge made him a good bet for Parliament. Only 1.2% or 353 voters in Punggol East (less than the 417 spoilt votes) agreed with that. The 1.2% can keep supporting him; most of the rest can keep ignoring him. Seems like that is fair and democratic, yes?.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Worker's Party simply represents the Path of Least Resistance to challenge the PAP's majority. Sure there are other ways to reach there involving the other opposition parties, but those are longer and more treacherous, unless something big changes. Afterall back in 2001 I did think that SDA looks like the path forward while WP was floundering. At the moment though, there's very little to indicate that WP is floundering nor any of the other parties are moving ahead at a speed that can match the WP.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jeya seemed to think that being armed with a double first from Cambridge made him a good bet for Parliament. Only 1.2% or 353 voters in Punggol East (less than the 417 spoilt votes) agreed with that. The 1.2% can keep supporting him; most of the rest can keep ignoring him. Seems like that is fair and democratic, yes?.

No doubt he can't beat the other double first, LKY