• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Workers in the service industry experience sexual harassment from customers

G

General Veers

Lifestyle
Apr 4, 2010

Stop unwanted advances
Workers in the service industry experience sexual harassment from customers

<!-- by line --> By Akshita Nanda <== FTrash

Where to get help

Hotlines that offer help or advice:

Tripartite Alliance for Fair Employment Practice: 6838-0969
Association of Women for Action and Research (Aware): 1800-774-5935
Upcoming workshops on sexual harassment:

Dealing With Sexual Harassment
Where:
Aware Centre, 5 Dover Crescent 01-22

When: Wednesday, 7pm
Admission: $20 a person or $32 a pair
Harassment: Protect Your Organisation
Where:
Singapore Council of Women's Organisations, 96 Waterloo Street

When: April 22, 4pm
Admission: Free. Open to senior managers, HR policy-makers, corporate counsel and anyone with an interest in workplace harassment
For more information on both events, go to www.aware.org.sg or call 6779-7137

<!-- end left side bar -->
04life11.jpg

ST ILLUSTRATION: MANNY FRANCISCO

<!-- story content : start --> TWO months after starting work at the Mandarin Orchard Singapore and donning the distinctive red cheongsam worn by guest services staff, Ms Melissa Biacora <== FTrash found herself being harassed by one of the hotel's clients. 'He would come and look for me every day. He wanted to take pictures with me, he would put his arm around me,' recalls the 32-year-old, who joined the hotel three years ago. 'I was so scared but I didn't want to offend him.' Fortunately, her supervisor Daisy Yew soon noticed what was going on. The leader of the guest services team at the hotel had had six years of experience handling difficult guests and was able to advise the younger woman on how to deal with her stalker.

Encouraged, Ms Biacora made it clear to the guest that she did not wish to be touched or photographed. And Ms Yew took it upon herself to deflect the guest's attentions. 'If he approached her after that, I would assign her to another task,' says Ms Yew, 45, who considers herself a mother figure to the women under her charge. Called Meritus ambassadors, their duties include providing personalised services such as receiving guests at the airport, helping them check in and out and even taking them to the doctor if they fall ill.

[email protected] <== FTrash
Have you been sexually harassed? How did you deal with it? Write to [email protected]

promisedland

Alfrescian
Loyal
what is it so difficult for women to kick guys in their groin?

one kick is 10 times more effective than any legislations from those jiak liao bees legislators..

National Education should include this kick groin lessons for young women in classes.

then we have more time to concentrate on more important issues...

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
HAHAHA! The 154th doing its rounds to make it seem like Jack Neo's sexual harassment is an everyday thing!

:oIo::oIo::oIo:

Whatever you read in the 154th and see on MEdiacorpse, you must understand what is happening aroundyou in SG. Otherwise, you become their victims.

To save ou the rouble, everything from the 154th and Mediacorpse has been vetted by ISD agents who are indebted to the garment who are PAPies.

Open your eyes and your minds if you want to know what's going to hityour head!