• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Woman who unknowingly purchased three PICASSO plates for just $6 at a thrift store sells them for a whopping $40,000 at auction

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

Talk about a hidden gem! Woman who unknowingly purchased three PICASSO plates for just $6 at a thrift store sells them for a whopping $40,000 at auction​

• Nancy Cavaliere, 36, is an Italian immigrant who moved to New York as a child
  • She went viral on TikTok after sharing how she found the plates at a thrift store
  • The mom bought the set of four for $1.99 apiece and kept one for herself
A woman has shared the incredible story of how she unknowingly bought a set of Picasso plates at a thrift store for $1.99 apiece and auctioned off three of the four collectibles for a total of $40,000.

Nancy Cavaliere, 36, is an Italian immigrant who moved to New York City with her family when she was seven years old. She is known as @casacavaliere on TikTok, where she shares videos of her incredible second-hand finds.

The thrift shopper went viral after she detailed how she stumbled upon the Picasso plates during a routine shopping trip in 2017.

'I'm about to tell you the wildest story of how I thrifted Picasso plates from Salvation Army and made a s**t load of money,' she said, setting the scene.

Nancy Cavaliere, 36, from New York, went viral on TikTok after sharing how she unknowingly bought a set of four Picasso plates for $1.99 apiece at a thrift store in 2017

• Nancy Cavaliere, 36, from New York, went viral on TikTok after sharing how she unknowingly bought a set of four Picasso plates for $1.99 apiece at a thrift store in 2017
She explained that she was on her way home from work when she made a pitstop in the thrift store. She was about to leave when she saw the plates

• She explained that she was on her way home from work when she made a pitstop in the thrift store. She was about to leave when she saw the plates
Cavaliere recalled how it was a scorching summer day in New York when she made her daily pitstop at the thrift store that is on her way home from work.

'I pursue the china aisle, which is always my first thought... I see nothing. I almost leave. I go back when they put out new stuff, and I see these sitting on the aisle,' she said of the plates.

She used the app's green screen function to share a photo of herself holding one of the plates in her hand.

'This is the actual picture from the thrift store that day,' she explained. 'As you can see, the plates say $1.99.'

Cavaliere, unaware of their value, initially planned on using them to make a tablescape until she saw Pablo Picasso's surname engraved on the back.

'Although I am very well-versed in art, furniture, period styles... I did not know Picasso made ceramics,' she said.

Picasso designed 633 different ceramic editions between 1947 and 1971, according to Christie's auction house, including plates, bowls, and vases.

The Spanish painter, sculptor, and ceramicist was one of the most influential artists of the 20th century and a pioneer of Cubism.

LINK

Cavaliere, unaware of their value, initially planned on using them to make a tablescape until she saw Pablo Picasso's surname engraved on the back

• Cavaliere, unaware of their value, initially planned on using them to make a tablescape until she saw Pablo Picasso's surname engraved on the back
Pablo Picasso designed 633 different ceramic editions between 1947 and 1971, according to Christie's auction house, including plates, bowls, and vases

Pablo Picasso designed 633 different ceramic editions between 1947 and 1971, according to Christie's auction house, including plates, bowls, and vases

• Pablo Picasso designed 633 different ceramic editions between 1947 and 1971, according to Christie's auction house, including plates, bowls, and vases
Cavaliere admitted that when she went home and googled the 'visage noir' set to see how much they were worth, she almost 'passed out'

• Cavaliere admitted that when she went home and googled the 'visage noir' set to see how much they were worth, she almost 'passed out'
Picasso remains one of the highest-grossing artists at auction to this day.

Cavaliere admitted that when she went home and googled the 'visage noir' set to see how much they were worth, she almost 'passed out.'

'I contacted all the auction houses in New York, Christie's, Sotheby's, Bonhams, and I started talking to them to see how much they would sell them for and if they could authenticate [the plates] for me,' she recalled.

The video included footage of her talking about the plates with someone from an auction house.

'They are all hand done, as you can see, and they are editioned by alphabet,' she told the person. 'I have two L's, a G and an E.'

'They really are exceptional,' she said while looking back at the moment.

Cavaliere ended up auctioning three of the plates and keeping one for herself, which she has stored in a safe deposit box at a bank.

She told Newsweek the auctioneers estimated that the plates would sell individually for between $3,000-$5,000 each, but she ended up making far more than that.

In her video, she shared that one of the plates sold for more than $16,000, while the other two went for about $15,000 and $12,000, respectively.

Cavaliere ended up auctioning three of the plates and keeping one for herself that was signed by the legendary artist, which she has stored in a safe deposit box at a bank

• Cavaliere ended up auctioning three of the plates and keeping one for herself that was signed by the legendary artist, which she has stored in a safe deposit box at a bank
One of the plates sold for more than $16,000, while the other two went for about $15,000 and $12,000, respectively. She made roughly $40,000 from the sale

• One of the plates sold for more than $16,000, while the other two went for about $15,000 and $12,000, respectively. She made roughly $40,000 from the sale
'I was in my office on my lunch break, watching this live auction go down, crying my eyes out, because I am an immigrant,' she said. 'I came here from Italy when I was seven, and this is huge. I'm sure anybody would have felt the same, immigrant or not, but this is a big deal.'

Cavaliere pulled up a picture of the Picasso plate that she has stored in the bank, pointing out that it is hand-signed by the artist.

'[It's] crazy that I actually own something that Picasso signed himself,' she marveled.

The mom plans on selling the plate in 20 years and giving the money to her daughter to fund a once-in-a-lifetime trip across Europe, or whatever she wants to do.

'Go ahead, go thrift, go pick some garbage. May you find some crazy f*****g things,' she concluded.

The video has been viewed nearly 380,000 times and has received more than 1,200 comments since it was posted on March 25.

'The person who donated the plates coming across this video,' one person joked.

'I wonder if the people who donated it just like didn’t know or what???? So crazy,' another responded.

'I would totally buy that just thinking they’re cute lil guys and never realize,' someone else admitted.

Others were inspired to share their own thrift store hits and misses.

'I got Leonard Cohen['s] "Let us compare mythologies" signed [for] $2. It’s worth $30,000. I sold it right after I found it for $100. I haven’t slept since,' one user lamented.

However, the plates weren't the only treasures Cavaliere has thrifted over the years.

She told Newsweek that after she bought the plates she came across an Alexander McQueen jumpsuit from his second-ever collection.

Cavaliere bought it for $20 and sold it for a whopping $8,5000.

Source:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...thrift-store-ended-PICASSOS-worth-40-000.html