• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

why schools dont teach wisdom but only knowledge?

B

Baluku

How come we dont get well rounded education?

Proverbs 2:1-22 NIV

My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding— indeed, if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord
and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom;
from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He holds success in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just
and protects the way of his faithful ones. Then you will understand what is right and just
and fair—every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart,
and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. Discretion will protect you,
and understanding will guard you. Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men,
from men whose words are perverse, who have left the straight paths
to walk in dark ways, who delight in doing wrong
and rejoice in the perverseness of evil, whose paths are crooked
and who are devious in their ways. Wisdom will save you also from the adulterous woman,
from the wayward woman with her seductive words, who has left the partner of her youth
and ignored the covenant she made before God. Surely her house leads down to death
and her paths to the spirits of the dead. None who go to her return
or attain the paths of life. Thus you will walk in the ways of the good
and keep to the paths of the righteous. For the upright will live in the land,
and the blameless will remain in it; but the wicked will be cut off from the land,
and the unfaithful will be torn from it.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Is it folly to be wise or not?

ECC 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. :wink:

1CO 1:19: "For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent." :wink:

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it folly to be wise or not?

ECC 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. :wink:

1CO 1:19: "For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent." :wink:

Yes....we must be wise...but wise in the eyes of God and not wise in the eyes of man!

It is dangerous to just quote one or two verses from the Bible and disregard the preceding verses and/or the whole context of what Jesus, the apostles or the prophets are telling us.

For example, in 1 Corinthians 1:19, it says: For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent - we have to look at the preceding verses: 1 Corinthians 1:17-18 which say: For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

The context here is that people - meaning many 'wise people like scientists, philosophers' belittle the preaching of the gospel of Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross. Instead, they believe in their own world foolish 'wisdom' that they are merely the bi-products of monkeys or apes.

So, get the context right first.....one should have the wisdom from God. When King Solomon was asked by God what he wanted most, his reply was for God to give him the wisdom because only wisdom from the above can give him the much needed resource to rule his kingdom. And with that God-given wisdom granted to him, King Solomon, had indeed ruled his kingdom bringing peace and properity to his subjects. If King Soloman himself claimed to he tbe second wisiest man that had ever lived on this earth, no one would dare to claim to be the first! [Perhaps foolish people liie Doggie, Fishy, some rotten rojak scientists or those who are drifted from the truth would stand up and claim there are the wiisiest, and I can't think of any others.]

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal

and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord
from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He holds success in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just
and protects the way of his faithful ones. Then you will understand what is right and just
and understanding will guard you. Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men,
and who are devious in their ways. Wisdom will save you also from the adulterous woman,
from the wayward woman with her seductive words, who has left the partner of her youth
and ignored the covenant she made before God. Surely her house leads down to death
and the blameless will remain in it; but the wicked will be cut off from the land,

that is for the jews.

"oh the OT is meant for the jews, old is gone.. new wine cannot be put in old wineskin."

either you are FOR Old Testament, or AGAINST it. dont pick them up for convenience. Even Marcion wanted to get rid of the OT in the early days.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes....we must be wise...but wise in the eyes of God and not wise in the eyes of man!

It is dangerous to just quote one or two verses from the Bible and disregard the preceding verses and/or the whole context of what Jesus, the apostles or the prophets are telling us.

For example, in 1 Corinthians 1:19, it says: For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent - we have to look at the preceding verses: 1 Corinthians 1:17-18 which say: For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

The context here is that people - meaning many 'wise people like scientists, philosophers' belittle the preaching of the gospel of Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross. Instead, they believe in their own world foolish 'wisdom' that they are merely the bi-products of monkeys or apes.

So, get the context right first.....one should have the wisdom from God. When King Solomon was asked by God what he wanted most, his reply was for God to give him the wisdom because only wisdom from the above can give him the much needed resource to rule his kingdom. And with that God-given wisdom granted to him, King Solomon, had indeed ruled his kingdom bringing peace and properity to his subjects. If King Soloman himself claimed to he tbe second wisiest man that had ever lived on this earth, no one would dare to claim to be the first! [Perhaps foolish people liie Doggie, Fishy, some rotten rojak scientists or those who are drifted from the truth would stand up and claim there are the wiisiest, and I can't think of any others.]

the fools will say, "surely, they are no one smarter than us! for all who claimed otherwise, are greater fools than us!".

chinese saying; 人外有人 天外有天

if you want to be wise, then question your faith. would you believe David copperfield if he say he is the son of god? surely he can make train and plane disappear, walk through walls. why wont you worship him?

[video=youtube;rfDJbi5gfC0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfDJbi5gfC0&feature=related[/video]

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal

wisdom? you mean this??

Go and smite the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead with the edge of the sword, with the women and the children ... utterly destroy every male, and every woman that hath lain by man. And they found among the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead four hundred young virgins, that had known no man by lying with any male: and they brought them unto the camp to Shiloh. Judges 21:10-12

Have ye saved all the women alive? ... Now therefore ... kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. Numbers 31:14-18