• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What the SDP Means to Me – Jeremy Chen

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is the impression I got too since he has been tracking the blog for 10 years.

Yeh, I've been reading Mr Brown for 10 years too. I guess that would make me another stalker who has a problem with Mr Brown. We've all been Straits Times for most of our lives - no wonder we've all got a problem with the Straits Times!

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cut and thrust - well you basically put up an effigy of Jeremy to get whacked, and if they didn't start whacking me instead they'd still be whacking him.

Effigy? Who started the flames by condescendingly calling him a "mathematician" with the wrong kind of "brightness" (post #6) and said that he should remain a "wonk" who should never be let near a "podium" (post #10)?

I put him up as a bright young Democrat, a potential future SDP cabdidate, an example of the kind of idealistic youth drawn to SDP and rising through its ranks. You, on the other hand, damned him wuth faint praise and wrote him off completely as a budding politician. You put the knife in and twisted it.

But you don't have to believe me! At the same time, you posted up an article which resulted in him being portrayed as out of touch, you mention that argument on convexset - I'm wondering if you're the one who has a real problem with him.

Nice little lie. I didn't mention the argument; you did. You embarrassed him by fishing out an old, old argument on convexset about progressive GST (post #6) to ... ridicule him? And reinforce your prejugdement that he'll never cut it as a politician? Or to show that he isn't as bright as he's made out to be, as you perhaps?

Wonder why everyone but you could pick out the — dare I say it — subliminal rivalry between the lines? Come to think of it, not so subtle: now the world knows that metalmickey is not only an expert on convex set optimization, but also slightly older and wiser than Jeremy.

Boy.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeh, I started calling him a mathematician. Next think you’ll say is that I’m the one who thought up the name convexset for Jeremy. Maybe you’d also say that I wrote post 2, or post 4, or post 7, or post 8, or post 11, or 18, or 21, or 22.

Now everybody thinks that I’m an expert in convex optimization. That’s good. As for being smarter than him, you know sometimes I can’t help myself.

SDP has no shortage of critics on this board. I’ve tried to defend them in the past but people like you are wearing me down. If you want me to switch sides and start being a true anti-SDP person, I’d be quite happy to oblige. It’s not really my fault if – when I point out the reasons why your performance is inept, you answer that with even more ineptitude. Whether or not you intended him to be flame bait or not, if you know him in real life, I think you owe him an apology. I think you owe the SDP an apology.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whether or not you intended him to be flame bait or not, if you know him in real life, I think you owe him an apology. I think you owe the SDP an apology.

If you hadn't noticed already, every time someone put up an article on SDP, it would invite all manner of SDP-bashing from the PAP IB and WP IB. It's par for the course. The SDP supporters can never put a foot wrong when it comes to generating debate in this forum.

If apologies were indeed needed, they would have to come first from all the SDP-bashers, yourself included. Interesting how you character assassinated a young SDP guy, criticized the SDP and its supporters while managing somehow along the way to preen to the whole wide world about how smart you are, and then turned around and called yourself an SDP supporter! It would be laughable if it weren't so devious and pathetic.

But I'm a forgiving guy. No apologies needed. :smile:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jeremy needs to translate his mathematical formulas into concrete policy and work on communicating to wider audience. Otherwise the only people who will understand him are vamjok and aurvandil

Agree. Actually policy is his strength at this juncture; he was the chief contributor to the SDP Housing Policy:

http://yoursdp.org/news/sdp_proposes_non_open_market_flats_in_housing_policy/2012-11-04-5430

which has received praises from Yeo Lam Keong (http://yoursdp.org/news/2012-11-05-5432) and Property Guru (http://yoursdp.org/news/2012-11-29-5473)

For detractors like mickeymetal who insist on substantial evidence of Jeremy's contribution, they can take their time to peruse the SDP Housing Policy (all the stuff on VCG auction for housing allocation came from Jeremy):

Housing a Nation: Holistic Policies for Affordable Homes

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Character assassination usually means that I'm calling somebody despicable. I'm calling him daft. That's different. In fact I'm not even calling him daft since what he wrote is pretty reasonable if it's only going to be on his own blog. I'm calling you daft for putting it up here.

We all owe the SDP an apology, isn't it? Especially since I've written at length about how you could do better, and wondering if there will ever be a day when you guys actually start "getting it".

I suppose with SDP supporters like you and myself, there wouldn't really be a need for PAP IB and WP IB.

Oh, and ...

Nice little lie. I didn't mention the argument; you did.

Methinks they've crossed swords before on Jeremy's blog. And he thinks I'm Jeremy. That would explain it nicely.

You got to start keeping track of stuff that you wrote.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Actually policy is his strength at this juncture; he was the chief contributor to the SDP Housing Policy:

http://yoursdp.org/news/sdp_proposes_non_open_market_flats_in_housing_policy/2012-11-04-5430

which has received praises from Yeo Lam Keong (http://yoursdp.org/news/2012-11-05-5432) and Property Guru (http://yoursdp.org/news/2012-11-29-5473)

For detractors like mickeymetal who insist on substantial evidence of Jeremy's contribution, they can take their time to peruse the SDP Housing Policy (all the stuff on VCG auction for housing allocation came from Jeremy):

Housing a Nation: Holistic Policies for Affordable Homes

Finally taking my advice to heart?

So let's start with step 1. I don't care that you're going to save the world. Just tell us how you're going to do it. Maybe if you say things like "we have the best housing plan in Singapore" or "we have the best health plan in Singapore" it's more useful. Or "here's what we're going to do that the PAP doesn't do" is also good.

Oh yeah, you're welcome.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You got to start keeping track of stuff that you wrote.

You mean this argument?

Originally Posted by yellowarse
Methinks they've crossed swords before on Jeremy's blog. And he thinks I'm Jeremy. That would explain it nicely.

Ah, I was only surmising, speculating, to TFBH that there might have been a past altercation between you two, seeing the kind of vitriol that was spewed. You confirmed it. :wink:

Last edited:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Finally taking my advice to heart?

And where were you when news of the SDP Housing Policy hit town, got debated on this forum (thanks to yours truly), and even made the Zaobao?

Oh, I forgot. You're an SDP supporter who makes sporadic guest appearances to bash SDP.

All right, here you have it. You can feast on Jeremy's photo as well, if that's your cup of tea.

SDP proposes non-open market flats in housing policy

<tbody>
</tbody>
Added on: Sunday 04 November 2012
Total comments: 3
Singaporeans Democrats

HousingANationcover2.jpg

The SDP has proposed a new Non-Open Market, or NOM, scheme in public housing to help reduce prices of HDB flats. Under the scheme a segment of new HDB flats will be priced at cost minus the land "cost" that is currently factored into HDB prices.

As a result, prices of flats will be substantially lower, ranging from $70,000 for 2-room flats to $240,000 for 5-room flats.

As stated, the prices reflect only the cost of building a flat (that is, administrative, material, labour costs only).

As the name implies, however, flats bought under this scheme will not be allowed to be re-sold in the open market. Owners wishing to dispose of their NOM flats will have to sell them back to the HDB.

This innovative idea was introduced at today's launch of SDP's alternative housing policy,Housing A Nation: Holistic Policies For Affordable Homes. The paper was presented by Mr Jeremy Chen (pictured below), a decision science expert, who is currently pursuing his PhD at the National University of Singapore.

Others involved in the SDP's housing panel include Mr David Goh, an accountant and property consultant; Dr Leong Yan Hoi, a medical practitioner and member of the SDP's healthcare panel; and Dr Toh Beng Chye, also a medical practitioner and another member of the SDP's healthcare panel.

JeremyChen.jpg

Singaporeans who purchase these flats will take an estimated 9 to 15 years to pay off their housing loans (based on an interest rate of 3 percent) using no more than 20 percent of their gross income. This further reduces the financial burden of home buyers many of whom currently service their loans on a 30-year basis.

The lowered housing expenditure will free up capital for homeowners to save for their retirement or use it for other purposes such as starting a business, paying for education or medical care, investing in other instruments, etc.

NOM flats will only be available to Singapore citizens. Owners of such flats will not be allowed to own private property and will only be allowed to rent out their flats under strict restrictions such as when owners are posted overseas in their work.

The rationale behind this scheme is that the Government should not profit from Singaporeans when it comes to public housing and Singaporeans should not use it as a means of investment for capital gain. Public housing is a social good and should be used to meet the housing needs of the population, not profit-making for the government or citizens.

Current homeowners

Existing HDB owners of flats can continue to sell their flats in the open market, hence they will be termed Open-Market (OM) flats. In addition, OM flat-owners can simultaneously own private property or rent out their flats. In other words, policies regulating OM flats will remain relatively unchanged.

However, owners who wish to dispose of their OM flats to take advantage of the NOM scheme can simply convert the status of their existing flats.

The Government will return the difference between the original price of their flats (as purchased from the HDB) and price of an equivalent NOM flat subject to a cap. This money will be credited back to the owner's CPF account or used to pay any outstanding housing loan that one may have taken.

The converted flats will then be subjected to rules governing NOM flats.

Advantage homeowners

The NOM scheme essentially gives Singaporeans an added option of buying a home at a greatly reduced price. Current HDB owners also have the choice of converting their flats to an NOM one if they so wish. As mentioned this will free up capital for use for other purposes. However, the trade off will be that they are bound by the restrictions under the scheme.

Those who wish to remain on the OM scheme can continue to do so and be able to sell/rent their properties on the open market. Of course, they are subjected to the vagaries of the open housing market.

First-time HDB buyers can choose to buy an OM or NOM flat.

Housing market

HousingLauch0.jpg
Under the SDP plan, there are enough restrictions/disincentives under the NOM scheme coupled with existing incentives under the OM system that will discourage homeowners from making an exodus out of the OM market into the NOM scheme.

In addition, the NOM scheme will be introduced in a gradual manner to prevent a shock to the existing system and a sudden market correction.

This will provide stability to the OM prices while making NOM flats affordable for those who want it. This is the strength of the SDP plan. We envisage that if there is going to be a market correction of prices (which is the desired outcome), it will take place in a gradual and measured way that will not cause financial distress to current homeowners.

Other policy initiatives

Housing a Nation also makes the following policy recommendations:

1. Implement the Young Families Priority Scheme (YFPS), a targeted priority scheme that grants balloting priority for first-timer families with children or couples who are expectant for Balance Flats or new Built-To-Order Flats in non-mature estates.

2. Increase the inclusiveness of public housing by enabling single-parent families with children as well as singles to purchase and own their flats. The SDP plan will also increase the range of lower-income Singaporeans for housing rental.

3. Enhance the Lease Buy-Back Scheme to more effectively assist needy senior citizens to have a secure retirement.

4. Bar Permanent Residents and non-citizens from buying or renting NOM flats.

Under the SDP plan, the NOM system will increase the affordability and access to public housing for all
Singaporeans. While our suggestions for young families and Singaporeans with special needs will ensure our public housing system is caring and inclusive.

Collectively, these SDP policies can contribute towards resolving some of the major problems affecting public housing in Singapore today.

The full document of the paper can be viewed here. As this paper is offered for public consultation, we welcome comments and suggestions. Please send your feedback to:[email protected].

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
You mean this argument?

Ah, I was only surmising, speculating, to TFBH that there might have been a past altercation between you two, seeing the kind of vitriol that was spewed. You confirmed it. :wink:

Ah, but you didn't say "there might have been a past altercation between us two".

You were more specific than that. You said that I could have crossed swords with him - not in real life, which is far more likely, but on that blog. Which means that you are telling the whole world that such an argument did occur.

Well let's make a distinction between speculation and fact.

An example of a speculation is that I might have argued with him - not in real life, mind, but on a blog.

An example of a fact is that your putting up his article on this thread resulted in everybody starting to attack him.

Mind you, I don't have a problem with you listening to what I have to say. You don't have to be an arse just because that is what you call yourself. You refrain from shooting SDP in the foot, you do political propaganda the right way, I will leave you alone.

Last edited:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah, but you didn't say "there might have been a past altercation between us two".

You were more specific than that. You said that I could have crossed swords with him - not in real life, which is far more likely, but on that blog. Which means that you are telling the whole world that such an argument did occur.

OMG. Now I have to give you an English lesson.

methinks: it seems to me. (Merriam-Webster Online)

It seems to me that they've crossed swords before on Jeremy's blog.

In other words, they might have crossed swords before on Jeremy's blog.
[Note: might have occurred, NOT did occur]

Was I not surmising? Do you need the meaning of 'surmise'? Let the others judge the adequacy of your English comprehension.

Last edited:

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
As far as I'm concerned, you initially made a mistake in this thread, putting up an article which didn't serve the SDP's interests, I pointed that out to you, and you put something out that's better. That's all. I'm done here. Now you want to go into an argument that's not worth getting into, that's none of my business.

I can't always save you from yourself.

SockPuppet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try "Crime and Punishment". "The Devils" is political but can be a little confusing. "Brothers Karamazov" takes a long time and I didn't read it.

You will find in his novels a lot of crazy people who are like the guys in this forum.

If you want to read about convex optimization - it is not totally useless, mind you - check this out:

http://www.ee.ucla.edu/~vandenbe/cvxbook.html

Thank you. your advice is appreciated. I have an admiration for learned people. i wish i was that learned myself.
No need to get into pushing opinions too much. There will be many opinions in life. Too many things matter too little.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you. your advice is appreciated. I have an admiration for learned people. i wish i was that learned myself.
No need to get into pushing opinions too much. There will be many opinions in life. Too many things matter too little.

Everybody here on this forum has an opinion. Otherwise come here for fuck.

Limpeh like reading books. Limpeh does not acquire knowledge in order to show off, and limpeh certainly does not do it for the sake of people like you.

Last edited:

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you hadn't noticed already, every time someone put up an article on SDP, it would invite all manner of SDP-bashing from the PAP IB and WP IB.

If I can prove you wrong will you apologize to both White Scum and WP IBs, whoever they are?