• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wage Restructuring shock therapy worth considering - letter to TODAY

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many ways to skin a cat.....not enough for PAP to listen with ears, it has to learn to listen with the heart.

Wage restructuring worth considering
Letter from Chong Lee Ming 04:45 AM Apr 17, 2012

I REFER to the report "Wage shock therapy 'too risky': Lim Swee Say" (April 14).

While Professor Lim Chong Yah's proposal to raise salaries of low-income workers appears radical, it is worth reflecting on what prompted an eminent economist to put it forward.

As a high-income country, many basic services here are surprisingly cheap. I read a travel guide which introduced Singapore as a developed country where one could have lunch for US$2 (S$2.50).

While it appears that Singapore is able to keep living costs low, this is mainly due to depressed wages in these sectors. Conversely, the middle- to higher-income group has larger disposable income after paying less for basic services.

One result is higher property and car prices. Similarly, landlords are able to charge local businesses higher rental.

The usual reason given for the low wages in the basic services sector is that locals shun these jobs, hence, the need to hire foreigners who are prepared to work at low wages. However, the cause and the symptom might not be so clear-cut.

Many developed countries do not rely on large numbers of foreigners in the construction sector - construction workers command decent wages, sometimes comparable to professionals.

Hence, it might be acceptable to allow productivity growth of low-income workers to slightly lag their wage growth. While this might result in a slightly higher cost of living, it might be a worthy outcome if it helps to improve the social compact.

For the low-income group, as long as their income growth outstrips the increased living costs, it would be all right.

The middle- to high-income group would have less disposable income for cars and properties, with the result being car and property prices coming down. So, the net impact on this group could be zero.

For local businesses, this could mean a shift in the cost structure to paying more in wages and less in rental. For foreign investors, it is not certain if the higher cost of lunch or cleaning services would tip their decision on whether to do business here.

For the Government, it would mean less Budget resources would be required to indirectly narrow the income gap for low-income workers.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Of course it is worth considering. Just as it is worth considering not giving millions to whining ministers.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
This is one of the best forum article I read so far with regards to this issue.

Goh Meng Seng

Many ways to skin a cat.....not enough for PAP to listen with ears, it has to learn to listen with the heart.

Wage restructuring worth considering
Letter from Chong Lee Ming 04:45 AM Apr 17, 2012

I REFER to the report "Wage shock therapy 'too risky': Lim Swee Say" (April 14).

While Professor Lim Chong Yah's proposal to raise salaries of low-income workers appears radical, it is worth reflecting on what prompted an eminent economist to put it forward.

As a high-income country, many basic services here are surprisingly cheap. I read a travel guide which introduced Singapore as a developed country where one could have lunch for US$2 (S$2.50).

While it appears that Singapore is able to keep living costs low, this is mainly due to depressed wages in these sectors. Conversely, the middle- to higher-income group has larger disposable income after paying less for basic services.

One result is higher property and car prices. Similarly, landlords are able to charge local businesses higher rental.

The usual reason given for the low wages in the basic services sector is that locals shun these jobs, hence, the need to hire foreigners who are prepared to work at low wages. However, the cause and the symptom might not be so clear-cut.

Many developed countries do not rely on large numbers of foreigners in the construction sector - construction workers command decent wages, sometimes comparable to professionals.

Hence, it might be acceptable to allow productivity growth of low-income workers to slightly lag their wage growth. While this might result in a slightly higher cost of living, it might be a worthy outcome if it helps to improve the social compact.

For the low-income group, as long as their income growth outstrips the increased living costs, it would be all right.

The middle- to high-income group would have less disposable income for cars and properties, with the result being car and property prices coming down. So, the net impact on this group could be zero.

For local businesses, this could mean a shift in the cost structure to paying more in wages and less in rental. For foreign investors, it is not certain if the higher cost of lunch or cleaning services would tip their decision on whether to do business here.

For the Government, it would mean less Budget resources would be required to indirectly narrow the income gap for low-income workers.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great article.
I will tell you why you can have a USD2 lunch in Singapore. Because the workers are Malaysians and Ah Tiongs.
You want to increase their pay and cause massive inflation?

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great article.
I will tell you why you can have a USD2 lunch in Singapore. Because the workers are Malaysians and Ah Tiongs.

xenomorph

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great article.

myopic singaporean viewpoint. as these low-cost people move up the employee paths, they will command lower wages. result. there will be less decent paying jobs and more depressed wages for singkies.

excuse me, my pinoy maid has a uni degree and better work attitude. how?

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Har? I told you not to take 2 doses at one go. See you are going more cuckoo. Shall I call IMH to restrain you? Poor thing.......

Z

Zombie

quite surprised that almost everyone (including lcy) overlooked the chain effect.. particularly on a sector or a company

to increase 50% pay of a person earning below $1500, this group of person would earn as high as $2250 after the increase..

then how about the group earning $1501 to $2250, you got to pay them more (though lesser than 50%) to justify their "seniority"

then how about the group earning higher than... and so now

definitely the cost would be much higher than expected...

the hardest hit would be the retail trade and service sector (not construction).. because labour and rental are two major costs..

Last edited by a moderator:

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Great article.

Someone will be unduly worried if there was no inflation and btw how do you know there will be massive inflation when it has not been tried?

liongsum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great article.

If shock therapy is the father, work permit is the grandfather.
Sometimes, I feel the grandfather matters more than the father.
In fact, a work permit COE will solve many problems.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Great article.

I rather cook my own food than let these dirty foreigners feed me with their food. Besides, what make us think Singapore hawker foods are healthy? So increase in hawker food prices will not affect me because I don't eat out often. Singaporeans have had enough of high cholesterol, diabetic, high blood pressure already, so stop eating unhealthy outside food.

BIGGERFUCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
I rather cook my own food than let these dirty foreigners feed me with their food. Besides, what make us think Singapore hawker foods are healthy? So increase in hawker food prices will not affect me because I don't eat out often. Singaporeans have had enough of high cholesterol, diabetic, high blood pressure already, so stop eating unhealthy outside food.
Actually, it is Singapore hawkers because the rentals have become like China feudal lord rates - cannot blame them. Go to Malaysia and know you are eating shit in Shittypore. Do a bacterial count at how hawker centres and you will see that NEA is a lying cheat of an organization. HPB is even a bigger joke.