• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Uniqlo-want to work there-read here first

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Uniqlo Operations Management Trainee, Singapore
August 15, 2011
Being a fresh graduate …..I was all excited to be part of their huge team as its goals and believes were very much in line with mine.
Despite, the contract and labor law stating the maximum working hours being 44 per week, we were not told it was a 50 work hour week, alternate single-double weekend shifts, hence clocking a 11.5 hour shift daily inclusive of 1.5 hour break...….Morning shifts ran from 0800-1930, while closing shifts ran from 1200-2330, with the usual expected delays...……
By the time I get off work, my own two legs can barely get me home. …….and broke down into tears from the exhuastion. By then I was losing sleep from the discomfort of my leg muscles, bruised knee caps, and loss of appetite from the depressing work day. I had not seen the world, and life had officially become a work-cry-sleep-work cycle.
By day 3, I tendered my resignation alongside 2 other trainees ……...I was limping and was completely drained physically, so it was only a matter of how I mentally held up...…....……..
The store were mainly made up of foreign full-time staff earning five times what they can get back home, or part time local students working for extra pocket money. ...…. And speaking to a senior full-time staff from the philipines, according to him, their turnover rate was exceptionally high, however, because most of them actually paid $6000 to come to Singapore, and thus, cannot afford to give up. By 9PM, I had done 3 hours of fitting room duty, probably burnt more calories than a 10-mile sprint (my heart of literally racing as if I had just finished a 2.4km jog), and usual shop floor duties. And eventually mentally cracked, broke down, and requested to quit with immediate effect and had no qualms about paying back the salary for notice period.
Note: In Japan, a worker is only allowed a maximum 8 hours of work a day. So how come that part of the japanese culture isn’t brought to Singapore but the greet-every-5-seconds is?
With such long hours at a physically exhuasting job, the company still expects top efficiency and customer service. Go figure...……….
……….. stay the fuck away.
This article is just my personal review of the experience

https://onesundaymorning.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/uniqlo-operations-management-trainee-singapore-2/

Your first reaction -Why do I post a 2011 blog?
Because it seems that things have not changed and may even be worse-now that they have opened more stores and are understaffed.
They have gone to all the local universities to recruit and kindly highlight to your friends the working conditions there before they accept a job from Uniqlo.
They will call selected "selected candidates" on the phone and only give them half a day to accept the job offer.
Those who agree to accept the job offer will have to go to their HQ to sign the offer letter where a clause will state that if they do not turn up for work on the first day , they will have to pay the company $2,400! .(is it ethical to do such a thing without informing employees first)
Those who have worked in Uniqlo ,share your experience here so readers can make an informed decision

Last edited:

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Youngsters nowadays r spoilt. Precisely y PAP has no qualms bringing in pinoys and chinamen.

Have you tried to stand for 12 hours a day , 5 days in a row ( can seat only during 1 hour lunch break/ half hour afternoon break at 4pm) without any rest and no chair at all to seat while working ?
The first 2 hours is spent cleaning, next hour stock replenishment and the rest folding clothes, cashiering ect2 with no seating allowed.(except for lunch/afternoon break).
You should try it for 5 days in a row and see the effect.
NOTE: Those with experience with other retailers kindly share your experience and compare for readers info

Last edited:

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Feb 19, 2018

uniqlo-squarelogo.png

"Be prepared to just give up your personal life."

• Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orchard (Singapore)

Doesn't Recommend

Negative Outlook
    I worked at Uniqlo full-time (Less than a year)
    Pros
    - Staff Discount (30% off)
    - If you’re into high stress and low fulfilment job, then yes, this is the place for you.
    - You’re not going to learn the ropes within a week. It takes a long way before you actually get to do the cashiering and all that other stuff. 2nd month into the job and you may still be LEARNING how to do fitting room job.
    Cons
    - You dont have a mentor with you at hand attached to you.
    - You’re going to be a lost sheep within the first week and you’re going to get shouted at. Its a norm.
    - Be prepares to work overtime if you get the closing shift. If it is a peak period you may well go home at 12+ (clock out) when you have 1pm clocked in. You dont get a say about it. Its basically a given since everyone else is still cleaning … up.
    - Super super anal and particular about stuff, you will fold clothes again and again and again even if it looks straight to you, they will point out the most minute mistakes. So if that doesn’t suit you, just go to other retail stores.
    - Opening shift is clean and clean and clean. So basically even though the pay is high-ish. You’re doing like 4 people’s job. Clean, stock, and replenish, cashier, fitting and yes! serve customers beck and call!
    - Whether you’re a male or female or alien. Carry large heavy denim boxes!! Yes!! From the shelve. with no one to help you!
    - Long long working hours no sitting down at all even when unpacking boxes (japanese culture I guess)

• https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Uniqlo-Singapore-Reviews-EI_IE320880.0,6_IL.7,16_IN217.htm?
  • All are welcome to read more reviews at Glassdoor and learn more about the company before joining.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[Undercover journalist infiltrates Uniqlo
Philip Brasor, Special To The Japan Times,Dec 17, 2016

In her Dec. 14 Tokyo Shimbun column, media critic Minako Saito mentioned how the press is excited about the buzzword of the year and the kanji of the year. They are much less interested in another annual prize, the Black Company Award for the firm that most egregiously exploits workers. ...…….. Consequently, those who have won the dubious honor in the past,...….. have never felt pressured to improve labor conditions.
One company that was not nominated this year is Fast Retailing Co., which operates the huge low-price apparel maker Uniqlo, even though it has had a reputation as a black company ever since it sued publisher Bungeishunju in 2011 over a book that claimed Uniqlo forced employees to work long hours for low pay. The book, “Light and Shadow of the Uniqlo Empire,” written by Masuo Yokota, was an extension of articles he did for Shukan Bunshun, a magazine also published by Bungeishunju. The plaintiff insisted that Yokota’s investigation of Uniqlo’s labor practices was faulty and incomplete.

The suit was dismissed in October 2013 by the Tokyo District Court, and the following year the Supreme Court rejected a second appeal, agreeing with the lower court that “core parts of the book (were) true,” according to a Jiji Press report. The suit was standard spin control for a powerful company such as Uniqlo.
In March 2015, Uniqlo’s imperious founder and chairman, Tadashi Yanai, was interviewed for the business magazine President. …...
“People who talk behind my back about such things have never met me,” Yanai answered. “They should actually experience working in our company.”

Yokota read the interview and decided to do just that.... .Yokota describes how in the fall of 2015 he assumed a new name and went to a Uniqlo outlet in Chiba to apply for a part-time job...…...Yokota is in his 50s, so he knew he would stand out...……... It wasn’t a problem. Uniqlo is always desperate for help, and they hired Yokota the same day they interviewed him...…...
He was at Uniqlo for about 13 months...…..” As a result of his earlier book and the attendant lawsuit, Uniqlo had made changes in its labor practices so as to cut down on overwork, but most of these changes seemed cosmetic …... During the two busiest bargain sales — the New Year’s holiday and an anniversary “thank you festival” in November — Uniqlo typically earns half its revenues for the year, and because last year’s “thank you festival” was considered a failure, management extended the sale from four to seven days in order to reach their targets more readily...…. Regular and semi-regular employees worked from 9 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. all seven days...…...
He often observed instances of regular employees signing off for the day and then continuing to work for free, since the new rules strictly limited official overtime. These illegal actions were a makeshift response to changing realities on the sales floor. ...…..
After the first of Yokota’s latest round of reports went public in Bunshun, Uniqlo management figured out who Yokota was and fired..him. …..
……….………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...r-journalist-infiltrates-uniqlo/#.W40eof4Z6mc

Some recent "history" about the company bearing in mind that Japan has a much freer press .
It also seems to be a good idea for those who want to work in Uniqlo to work there part time first to see if what people say are true. Work the full shift just like the full
timers so you get a feel of how its like .[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
UNIQLO

UNIQLO Employee Reviews

Horrible hideous workplace

Sales Associate (Former Employee) – Jem – August 5, 2018
Don’t work in this company if possible avoid it! Must work faster, given just 5 mins to complete the task, have to greet louder. Stupid idiot company’
Pros
Vending machine that sells cheap drinks situated inside the staff room
Cons
Long hrs & annoying managers telling you to work faster.

https://www.indeed.com.sg/cmp/Uniqlo/reviews

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have ocd with neatness, orderliness and cleanliness. when i shop at uniqlo and see clothes strewn about by inconsiderate and untidy customers, i would pick them up, fold them neatly and re-shelf them by order of color and sizes. sometimes i would spend countless hours doing it until my ocd is sextisfied and relieved. feel very shiok after that. :alien::barefoot::sick:

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Uniqlo unpaid worker action needed, says CCC
Written by David Styles Published: 24 August 2018
AMSTERDAM – In contrast to the celebratory atmosphere at the retailer’s opening party of its new Stockholm flagship store, Uniqlo has been challenged by Clean Clothes Campaign (CCC) to act immediately in order to settle a dispute with around 2000 Indonesia workers who claim to be owed a total of US$5.5 million in wages and severance pay.
This issue stems from April 2015, when workers at the Jaba Garmindo factory were told that their employer had gone bankrupt and their place of work was closing down.
Uniqlo was one of Jaba Garmindo’s largest customers, accounting for almost 40 per cent of production in 2014 (according to production records retrieved from the factory and shared by CCC). When entering bankruptcy proceedings, the owners of Jaba Garmindo cited the practices of buyers as a significant contributory factor in leading to the facility’s closure.
Initial contact regarding the Jaba Garmindo is said to have been made between labour rights activists and Uniqlo in April 2014, around the time Uniqlo made a statement explaining it had withdrawn production from the factory as a result of ‘quality issues’.
CCC states that final production at the factory was completed for Uniqlo in October 2014. In January 2015 workers reported that wages were no longer being paid on time, and three months later the company had gone bankrupt.
Workers reimbursement was made a priority in the credit arrangements of bankruptcy proceedings, and as a result almost half of the money owed was given to workers. Workers and campaigners are now asking Uniqlo – as the factory’s largest customer – to step in and ensure they receive the money which they are owed.
Clean Clothes Campaign says that if Uniqlo was to make payments to the displaced employees it would put them on the same footing as brands such as H&M, Nike, adidas and Walmart – which have provided severance following a bankruptcy and factory closures in the past.
Sam Maher, speaking on behalf of Clean Clothes Campaign, said: “Uniqlo is desperate to be known as an important and influential player in the fashion industry. It wants to be Japan’s answer to H&M.
“However, such recognition brings with it an expectation of responsibility. Uniqlo needs to show it is serious about such an international status by immediately agreeing to negotiate a settlement.”

https://www.ecotextile.com/20180824...n-needed-says-ccc.html#jextbox-login-module-0

https://cleanclothes.org/news/2018/...via-indonesian-garment-workers-demand-justice