• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thousands protest over Zimmerman acquittal

TrueColors

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thousands protest over Zimmerman acquittal
AFP Updated July 15, 2013, 7:09 pm

photo_1373879024892_10_0-18u7fm2.jpg

NEW YORK CITY (AFP) - Thousands protested in cities across the US Sunday against the acquittal of neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman, a day after his trial for killing unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin ended in Florida.

Demonstrators rallied noisily, but peacefully, in US cities including New York, San Francisco, Boston and Chicago.

In Los Angeles, police in riot gear deployed along Hollywood Boulevard, but they were not needed as the rally proceeded without incident. But about 150 protesters blocked traffic on a freeway elsewhere in the city, local media reported.

In the pre-dawn hours demonstrators smashed windows and vandalized cars in Oakland, California.

Spontaneous marches were also held in Washington, Philadelphia, Atlanta and the Florida state capital Tallahassee.

The most numerous rally Sunday was in New York City, where several thousand -- including families with children -- marched to Times Square under the watchful eye of police.

Many in the multi-racial crowd brandished signs bearing a portrait of Martin, while some, despite sweltering July heat, wore "hoodie" sweatshirts, as the 17-year-old did the night he was killed in February 2012.

"I am appalled," said Carli VanVoorhis, a 21-year-old hairdresser.

"The man was armed, the kid was not, and the man with the gun got away," she said. "If we say it was not a racial issue, we would be lying."

Chants included "the people say guilty!" and "No justice, no peace!"

One sign urged: "Jail racist killers, not black youth," while others declared "We are all Trayvon. The whole damn system is guilty."

At least one marcher wore a T-shirt proclaiming: "I'm black. Please don't shoot."

"We have a big problem with race, and another problem is guns," said protester Rodney Rodriguez. "If Zimmerman didn't have a gun, he couldn't have killed Trayvon Martin."

Fellow protester Derreck Wilson, 46, said the group had come "to say in a peaceful way why we are angry. We are angry, scared and anxious."

"It's cathartic," he said.

"We all have the same desires. I want to be able to have my son to come home," added Wilson, who came to the protest from the traditionally African-American neighborhood of Harlem.

Rhada Blank also came from Harlem with friends.

When the verdict was announced, she said she thought about leaving the United States permanently.

"I was sick to my stomach when I heard the verdict, I felt ashamed," she said. "I don't feel good about being American today. I think we have a lot of work to do."

"As far as people think we've gone, with the decision of electing (President Barack) Obama, this verdict shows we haven't moved beyond race," said the former teacher who now writes for the theater.

"People have not moved beyond their fears," she said. "That decision echoed what many people are feeling in the country. There is a fear of the black male."

The case has, since the beginning, pitted those who belive that Zimmerman, a 29-year-old Hispanic neighborhood watchman, killed Martin in self-defense, and those who believe it was a murder sparked by racist assumptions.

According to Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law, people who fear for their lives can use deadly force to defend themselves without having to flee a confrontation. Other states, including Texas, have similar rules.

The killing also resonated among those calling for stricter gun laws like New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who slammed what he called "shoot-first laws."

"Sadly, all the facts in this tragic case will probably never be known. But one fact has long been crystal clear: 'shoot first' laws like those in Florida can inspire dangerous vigilantism and protect those who act recklessly with guns," Bloomberg said in a statement.

He reiterated his call to eliminate such laws.

"The tragic death of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed child attempting to walk home from the store, will continue to drive our efforts."

TrueColors

Alfrescian
Loyal

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3bxV1wKzJ7M?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Black teen's murder Thousands protest against Zimmerman's acquittal across US

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Come on let's get real.. this guy is black and he'd been nothing but trouble prior to the shooting and was suspended from school at the time of his death.

Martin had been suspended from school at the time of his death, his third disciplinary suspension of the year.[SUP][46][/SUP] One suspension was for tardiness and truancy.[SUP][47][/SUP] Another suspension in October 2011 was for graffiti, when Martin was observed by a security camera in a restricted area of the school marking up a door with "W.T.F."[SUP][47][/SUP] When he was later searched by aMiami-Dade School Police Department officer, looking for the graffiti marker, the officer found several pieces of women's jewelry in his backpack, which Martin said a friend had given to him. A screwdriver was also found, which was described by the school police investigator as a burglary tool. The jewelry was impounded and given to the police, but no evidence ever surfaced to indicate that the jewelry was stolen.[SUP][47][/SUP] Martin's third suspension involved a marijuana pipe and an empty bag containing marijuana residue.[SUP][46][/SUP] Martin was not charged with any crime related to these incidents and did not have a juvenile record.[SUP][48][/SUP] Judge Nelson ruled that the defense may have access to Martin's records, including the details of these suspensions, as well as access to Martin's social media sites,[SUP][49][/SUP] but ruled they will not be admissible as evidence during the trial unless they can be shown to be relevant.[SUP][50][/SUP]