• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Dumb residents of Serangoon Gardens

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry to be harsh but this is what happens when the half educated and retired mid level civil servants get together.

The issue is the location of a workers' dormitory complex housing shift workers in the middle of a residential estate. It affects the value of people's homes which many spent their lifetime paying for. Its an absolutely legitimate reason.

I actually told one of these half -wits not to make any minor suggestions as these will be readily agreed upon and the end result will be PAP and Toa Payoh brothel will paint a picture of meaningful dialogue, compromise and accommodation - with the dorm still there. Notice how Lim hweeHua was portrayed as the hero that rushed toi help the residents when she learnt about it.

The side effects are that the residents are perceived by the world as xenophobic and rightly so. How can you restrict a fellow human being from patronising shops and the use of infrastructure.

Any town planner with an average IQ will know that it is wrong. The issue is not exactly foreign workers. Even if the dorm houses singaporean males or females, it still does not fit in with the landscape.

Will anyone build a worker's dorm next to the zoo? And you know why?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
these dim wits think the pap will listen to them...... thats why they are dimwits....

Clearly these chaps have no clue about the body politics of this country. PAP support has always come from HDB and the rich ones from good class bungalows who want to keep their financial status quo. Private estates have always shunned the PAP grassroots politics and its now pay back time.

I do recall that after many years of trying, their first success was at Pasir Ris 99 yr landed property private sector in the 90s when it was led by a chap called Happy Tay. In return, the PAP made sure that the Estate got first class treatment.

When Happy Tay migrated to vancouver, then PM Goh actually graced an occasion at Vancouver to thank him for his support.

Serangoon garden resident leader are not politically correct either. Instead of talking about proper town planning, property value, they talk about about the impact of foreign workers on crime, safety , fear as though they are all criminals etc.

Look at Teachers Estate at Yio Chu Kang, which was developed by their union which was controlled by the PAP with the likes of Lawrence Sia, late MP etc. Try putting a dorm there.

l

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is the price they r paying for voting for the oppostion in the last election.

pap sure know how to improve their vote count for the next round.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is the price they r paying for voting for the oppostion in the last election.

pap sure know how to improve their vote count for the next round.

I won't be surprised if Serangoon Gardens go back to Marine Parade GRC or to AMK GRC in the next GE.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I won't be surprised if Serangoon Gardens go back to Marine Parade GRC or to AMK GRC in the next GE.

merge into AMK GRC is good! wonder what would happen when the PAP loses AMK with LHL in the team... :biggrin::eek::biggrin::eek:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

they keep changing goal posts and changing the boundaries...and keep changing the markers...now no use liao. people are sick. they need bitter pills and more bitter pills. damned jialat liao. you want to form the next gahment, be my guest. it's all yours. take it together with the kitty!!!

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

AMK is most likely given its location but chances r, LHL's votes could go lower and i dun think he want to risk that.

keeping them within aljinued is still the best option as i dun think GCT want to take them into marine parade as well just in case his vote count goes down as well.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

With S Gardens full of retired mid level civil servants I would have though that they would have seen the situation better. Whilst the issue is one of a place for foreign workers to stay versus the perceived property values of the residents, there is a deeper underlying systemic reason and the result of conflicting government policies run awry.

1. No one has asked why WAS the Dormitory the only option for that piece of land ? Why not offices, ? Play School, New Office Blocks for Civil Servants moving out of expensive office place. What were the alternatives when the land was tendered out ?

2. Granted SLA having taking over empty properties from the ministry has a mandate to rent it out to maximize yield , but shouldn't they as the OVERALL master land lord of estate Singapore excercise some zoning or local controls ? Its done in other countries why not here ?

3. SLA having charged undeveloped Raffles Place price for undeveloped land according to NGIAM .......just basically means no cheap option for housing of foreign workers ( essential ). Is it any wonder that a cheap disused school becomes a viable economic solution ?

Cheers

Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

With S Gardens full of retired mid level civil servants I would have though that they would have seen the situation better.

1. No one has asked why WAS the Dormitory the only option for that piece of land ? Why not offices, ? Play School, New Office Blocks for Civil Servants moving out of expensive office place. What were the alternatives when the land was tendered out ?

2. Granted SLA having taking over empty properties from the ministry has a mandate to rent it out to maximize yield , but shouldn't they as the OVERALL master land lord of estate Singapore excercise some zoning or local controls ? Its done in other countries why not here ?

3. SLA having charged undeveloped Raffles Place price for undeveloped land according to NGIAM .......just basically means no cheap option for housing of foreign workers ( essential ). Is it any wonder that a cheap disused school becomes a viable economic solution ?
Locke

Agree with everything you say. I too thought the some of retired civil servants would have stepped in and guided them.

According to the grapevine, there appears to be 2 schools of thought among the better residents. (1) payback for lack of political support over the decades and therefore a lost cause (2) the "do-gooders" have been entrenched in that estate for so long making petty suggestions and improvements that when the big guns were called to handle this issue there were allegations of hidden agenda etc.

Anyway after what happenned, the entire estate is now against the PAP so Ramseth was spot on with the gerrymandering angle.

What troubles me is the angle of xenophobia and economic needs that the press is focusing on and not wrong land use, hard earned value and next egg eroded by the stroke of a pen.

Albeit I should not be surprised but I still think that prostitutes still do have compassion.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree with Scroobal. The first step taken in the line of xenophobia, racism and even class segregation was horribly misguided and misdirected. Finding more suitable alternatives for land use, and finding more suitable alternatives for foreign workers' accommodation, should have been the way.

Anway, looks like Mah B.T. screwed George Yeo big time with this one. However, still conciliable (from election point of view) by relieving Yeo of custody of this problem child in the next GE.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anway, looks like Mah B.T. screwed George Yeo big time with this one. However, still conciliable (from election point of view) by relieving Yeo of custody of this problem child in the next GE.

I say this is fertile ground for the next GE. Except for the cursory attempt to accommodate workers, no attempt has been made by the govt, the MPs, the state press on (1)why universal land use dogma has been turned over its head and (2)which alternatives were considered and why (3) serangoon gardens

Let keep this current and there are number of principles involved;
1) failure to engage those impacted
2) town planning rules not followed
3) with CPF failing as a retirement fund, the only bastion of hope for someone would be their property
4) failure of the 4th estate
5) labelling fellow singaporeans as racists