• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Social Security & Filial Piety - Poor article by former brothel editor.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the first time I came across an article where the author attempts to link provision of social security to eroding filial piety. Not only is the link tenuous but ridiculous. Not that I am surprised as it came from the brothel but even this is stretching it. He seems to think that people will neglect or abandon their parents if there is social security in place. Why? Many of the elderly would have contributed to the country in their early days and the CPF failing miserably in its original mission, there will be some that no longer can support themselves. And among these, some would have children who are struggling to make a life for their own families and may not be able to support their elderly parents sufficiently.

This notion of social service where people get what they want is erroneous. There surely must be the appropriate means test or equivalent to determine who needs it.

In fact the law which Walter Woon introduced when he was an NMP to make it an obligatory for children to support their elderly parents backfired when a murder took place within the Ministry premises arising from this very law.

The only reason I suspect that this article surfaced is because Chee has been beating the drums in recent days about more support for the needy on his daily rounds in Bukit Batok. SDP has also provided food packages for rental flats 2 day ago highlighting that this is an area of concern.

Social security needs not be excessive and no one is asking for anything in excess and that includes Chee. No is asking that every child has to have a playstation or that every elderly couple be given free tickets to the Jack Neo movie ( they will probably turn it down). A reasonable safety net which Paul Thamyah help architect and articulated is all that is asked for.

And the author has clearly passed his use-by date when he ends the article with the glass half-full half-empty nonsense which does not even make sense. Lim Swee Say's up the down turn makes more sense sadly.

Excessive social security may erode filial piety
PUBLISHEDMAR 29, 2016, 5:00 AM SGT
FACEBOOK1,366TWITTEREMAIL
There has been much debate on how much more Singapore should spend on providing greater social security for the poor, and on the pitfalls of excessive welfare ("Pitfalls of excessive welfare in Nordic model" by Mr Olli Muurainen; last Saturday).

There is mounting electoral pressure on the Government to increase spending on welfare - and the ruling party is responding.

Helping those who have fallen through the cracks is laudable, as long as the country can afford it.

But will the electorate know where to draw the line and not keep using the ballot box to demand more and more spending?

This is what worries me and, I suspect, many others who have watched with great trepidation how countries elsewhere are being pushed to insolvency by their excessive welfare spending.

Yet, affordability is just one aspect of this complex issue.

What an inordinate emphasis on providing more social security will do to Singapore's values system is another important, though often overlooked, consideration.

Let me draw attention to a recent lecture by eminent but controversial Chinese economist Zhang Wuchang.

Among other things, he argued against what he called the mindless adoption by China of the essentially Western practice of government-funded social security.

The 80-year-old is no xenophobe. He had studied and worked in the United States for many years before he returned to China, and was close to some of the top economists of the day.

His assertion: Excessive social security will destroy the concept and practice of filial piety.

Peril awaits the Chinese civilisation once the duty of caring for one's old and helpless parents is shifted to the state, he added.

What he said jolted me, as did a recent survey by a government agency in Japan, which found that less than a third of young people agreed that it was their duty to look after their parents. The rest said it was the government's job.

Surveys throughout China also registered a distinct downward trend.

Will this happen in Singapore too? If the present trend continues unabated, then we may well be heading that way.

A national survey conducted a few years ago found that most people under 50 and earning $1,000 or more still regarded looking after parents as their duty.

But more of those above 50 and earning less than $1,000 said the Government should bear more of the burden.

Glass half-full? Or half-empty?

Leslie Fong

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
诚信忠孝,礼义廉耻。
These values have long been eroded. Folks these days 向钱看。

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
My MIL visited us a while ago. She was commenting how much "TAX" I have to pay here and how the "poor" is sucking on my tax payments in terms of "social welfare". I replied back, if they don't get any social welfare from the government they would steal, rob, create chaos on the streets, I'll rather they sit at home with the big screen tv and not do shits like this. After hearing that, she silently agrees. Its not a matter of who gets what, or who deserve what at the end of the day. If my monthly contributions to "society" via tax creates a better "environment" I'll gladly pay that. The idea of social welfare being detrimental to society and eroding your "pay" is wrong! If applied correctly it can enhance social cohesiveness and nation building. Why don't they use countries like Finland, Scandinavians countries as an example on social welfare?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The leeporter missed the point. If we have sufficient to spare y would we neglect the elders ? It's bcos the young dun have enuff for themselves n their kids that the government is expected to provide. And we r not asking for 100% the fear that help grow reliance can be negated with proper management.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Once upon a time in a land far away
Striving to keep old age poverty at bay
Politicians who were paid much less
Came up with system to make progress
Slogans to deceive swinish multitude
Shows all Lightning has wrong attitude
Social security complements filial piety
Together they make a better society

[video=youtube;j9AIsG_vXyI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9AIsG_vXyI[/video]

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shocking! All the effort on our kids wasted if they grow up and support other people's parents. No. Our children are long term investments for our retirement pension. Say no to politicians who want to steal our moneybags.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
My MIL visited us a while ago. She was commenting how much "TAX" I have to pay here and how the "poor" is sucking on my tax payments in terms of "social welfare". I replied back, if they don't get any social welfare from the government they would steal, rob, create chaos on the streets, I'll rather they sit at home with the big screen tv and not do shits like this. After hearing that, she silently agrees. Its not a matter of who gets what, or who deserve what at the end of the day. If my monthly contributions to "society" via tax creates a better "environment" I'll gladly pay that. The idea of social welfare being detrimental to society and eroding your "pay" is wrong! If applied correctly it can enhance social cohesiveness and nation building. Why don't they use countries like Finland, Scandinavians countries as an example on social welfare?

You have not been paying taxes to your wife's family? Loss of daughter is loss of their pension income. Can't take a hint?

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't see any " mounting electoral pressure on the Government to increase spending on welfare - and the ruling party is responding".
They just got re-elected with a larger majority (surprisingly)and fewer seats for the opposition-if anything there is less pressure.

The party has not reduced the number of foreigners and the special treatment given to them and the way it responded to public outcry over the imprisonment of teenager Amos, and the slap on the wrist "punishment " for the public officials responsible for the deaths in the SGH hepatitis scandal and of Pte Dominique Lee showed it is in fact getting more unresponsive to public sentiments.

Just look at the way it reacts to criticism over the CPF scheme by Roy Ngerng et al - a govt that will not even return your own money at 55 will throw monies at you ? Pigs can fly?

Another reason not to read the ST and its sister publications from SPH like Asiaone.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Classic false dichotomy again. If you want more welfare, we risk going to way of the great welfare states into insolvency. The braddell brothel and the govt always does this when debate concerning welfare is concerned. And now, this author comes up with a new angle: filial piety. And this is based not on sound extensive research but on anecdote. WTF

The fact is that SG is one country that spends little on its old folks, and the CPF which is supposed to help retirement has failed to do so.

Last edited:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Classic false dichotomy again. If you want more welfare, we risk going to way of the great welfare states into insolvency. The braddell brothel and the govt always does this when debate concerning welfare is concerned. And now, this author comes up with a new angle: filial piety. And this is based not on sound extensive research but on anecdote. WTF

The fact is that SG is one country that spends little on its old folks, and the CPF which is supposed to help retirement has failed to do so.

That call slippery slope sir. And no, more welfare for other old people means less welfare for me. If they want more retirement income, they should learn to raise better kids instead. :cool:

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkies can't handle the truth ..........

[video=youtube;aVQ7PIl3IDE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVQ7PIl3IDE[/video]

[video=youtube;5j2F4VcBmeo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo[/video]