• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore's been named the world's 6th Blue Zone. Some locals are skeptical

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporean Charlotte Mei was traveling in Europe when she first heard that Singapore was named a Blue Zone.

"The minute people hear that I live in Singapore, they are like, 'Oh I just recently saw Singapore. It's like the new Blue Zone.'" the 31-year-old nutritionist told Insider.

"I was like, 'Where did you read this fake news?' And then I realized it was part of the Netflix show," Mei said.

Mei was referring to author Dan Buettner's hit Netflix documentary. "Live to 100." Blue Zones, per Buettner, are regions where residents live the healthiest, happiest, and longest lives — sometimes well past the 100-year mark. He added Singapore to his list in August.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

Life expectancy in Singapore rose to an average of 83 years in 2022, according to demographic data released by the Singaporean government in May. That is more than 10 years higher than the global life expectancy of 71 years, per the World Bank.

However, some people Insider spoke to felt that people having statistically longer lives did not necessarily make the country a bona fide Blue Zone.

Mei told Insider that it was hard to say if Singapore was really a Blue Zone.

"There's one thing to set up the people for success, but whether or not they take it on is a different thing," Mei said. "I can see why we're on the list, but it would be interesting to see it in practice, whether that's the case.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mei was not the only Singaporean to express skepticism about the country's Blue Zone status.

Kian Peng Er, a photographer, told Insider that he didn't think Singapore fulfilled the basic characteristics of a Blue Zone.

"Our life is quite stressful. The cost of living is high and housing is expensive," Er, 54, said. "You can live longer merely because of better medical support. But you are not healthy or happy."

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Homemaker Karen Lim told Insider that her lived reality was also a far cry from Buettner's description.

"Honestly, I find it hard to believe," Lim, 65, said of Singapore's Blue Zone status. "Singaporeans are usually sleep-deprived and don't exercise that often."

"Just look at their diets," Lim added. "Young people these days are chugging bubble tea daily. Food sold outside is also quite salty and oily."

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sugyanto Suryono, an executive director who frequently volunteers to care for the elderly, believes ease of access to medical care in Singapore is why many people live longer.

"Every four kilometers, you can find a polyclinic or hospital. We have Medisave too, which helps cover the costs whenever we get sick," Sugyanto, 36, said. MediSave is a scheme that requires Singapore citizens and permanent residents to save part of their income for their medical needs.

And while public healthcare remains relatively affordable, the cost of living in Singapore has been a cause of concern for many people looking to grow old in the city-state, Sugyanto said.

Last year, Singapore was named the most expensive city in the world, beating out major financial hubs like London and Hong Kong, according to a report by the Economist Intelligence Unit. It ranked first out of 172 cities, tying with New York City, per the report.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's see:

1. Life Expectancy: #4 (excluding principalities and SEZ)

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 12.25.25 PM.png

2. World Happiness Report: #25

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 12.30.34 PM.png

3. Quality of end-of-life-care: #23

country-rankings-based-on-eol-quality-survey.png

4. Health care: #14

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 12.37.29 PM.png

Apart from life expectancy, we fare miserably in the other health and social indicators.

Blue zone my foot. We're just a nation of aging, unhappy and unhealthy people.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
more like blue balls zone as sinkie unkers can’t seem to break hymens of sinkie virgins’ golden cheebyes (gcb).

Last edited:

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Simi lanjiao blue zone? Most sinkies fall into the twilight zone lah!

Last edited: