• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Politics-What Everyone Should Understand

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I may not have a PhD, just someone with a bit of commonsense. Let us look at the big picture and what it really tells us.

1. For every 10 citizens 4 have voted fot the opposition and 6 the PAP

These 40% voted in only 6 candidates into parliament to speak on their behalf. Is this right? I mean 40% of the population only has 7% representation in parliament, whereas the 60% has 93% representation in parliament.

2. The 40% who voted for opposition are truly against the PAP Party. What about the 60% who "voted" for the PAP? Was it of their own free will or were they coerced into voting for them?

Let us see who are these 60% who voted PAP.

- The PAP members themselves
- Their organisation, PA, CC, Labour Unions, etc
- The Civil Service
- The GLCs, Singapore Technologies Group, Temasek, Unicorn etc
- 100,000 new citizens
- MSMs
- The SAF
- Those that fear their votes are not secret
- The Elections Department which is under the purview of the PM's Office

Take away some of the above elements will cause the 60% points to decrease by a sizeable margin.

3. GRCs and The Change of Boundary Lines

This somehow sticks like a bone in the throats of many Singaporeans, yet it is not a big issue with the voters. If there had been no GRCs and therefore no constant changing of boundaries, PAP would have suffered a big loss.

Conclusion: The Hard Truth is the PAP actually lost, Singaporeans are being ruled by a government that is not really representative of the people but by a government that uses(abuses) the system to have the right to rule. By analysing the above, should it not be right that these 40% of unhappy voters should be represented by 40% of MPs? Why should these 40% be sidelined by 93% MPS? It makes a mockery of the Singapore Elections as it is skewed and does not truly reflect the will of the people.

I am putting this forth as food for thought and to listen to what you guys think about this. I understand that the majority rules but in Singapore the 40% being the minorities are being properly screwed.

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
I disagree with point 1 but totally agree with point 2. Whether it is 60/40 or 51/49, a win is a win. Now point 2 is far more interesting. PAP has been systematically engineering the entire system to perpetuate it's rule. As you have rightly pointed out. I wonder if such efforts have been made in bettering singaporeans as a whole, how much different would he average singaporean's life been... Bearing in mind that the median income for the last 10 years is essentially unchanged, it reflects a drastic drop in living standards. If you had done a good job, would here have been a need for all this?

As more and more tricks are dreamed up by aspiring scholars to prop up the failing regime, vultures circle. This system of handouts through growth share packages etc is frankly demeaning to the populace. Rather than thanking the government, it is a reminder of how much they were squeezed during the year.

SpareTyre

Alfrescian
Loyal
Allow me to rephrase and simplify that question - if the Straits Times becomes a truly independent newspaper and we get rid of LKY's brand of fear/blackmail politics....how many votes would have the PAP won this round?

My guess is probably just under 40%.

Does the PAP still represent me as my government?

I may not have a PhD, just someone with a bit of commonsense. Let us look at the big picture and what it really tells us.

1. For every 10 citizens 4 have voted fot the opposition and 6 the PAP

These 40% voted in only 6 candidates into parliament to speak on their behalf. Is this right? I mean 40% of the population only has 7% representation in parliament, whereas the 60% has 93% representation in parliament.

2. The 40% who voted for opposition are truly against the PAP Party. What about the 60% who "voted" for the PAP? Was it of their own free will or were they coerced into voting for them?

Let us see who are these 60% who voted PAP.

- The PAP members themselves
- Their organisation, PA, CC, Labour Unions, etc
- The Civil Service
- The GLCs, Singapore Technologies Group, Temasek, Unicorn etc
- 100,000 new citizens
- MSMs
- The SAF
- Those that fear their votes are not secret
- The Elections Department which is under the purview of the PM's Office

Take away some of the above elements will cause the 60% points to decrease by a sizeable margin.

3. GRCs and The Change of Boundary Lines

This somehow sticks like a bone in the throats of many Singaporeans, yet it is not a big issue with the voters. If there had been no GRCs and therefore no constant changing of boundaries, PAP would have suffered a big loss.

Conclusion: The Hard Truth is the PAP actually lost, Singaporeans are being ruled by a government that is not really representative of the people but by a government that uses(abuses) the system to have the right to rule. By analysing the above, should it not be right that these 40% of unhappy voters should be represented by 40% of MPs? Why should these 40% be sidelined by 93% MPS? It makes a mockery of the Singapore Elections as it is skewed and does not truly reflect the will of the people.

I am putting this forth as food for thought and to listen to what you guys think about this. I understand that the majority rules but in Singapore the 40% being the minorities are being properly screwed.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I disagree with point 1 but totally agree with point 2. Whether it is 60/40 or 51/49, a win is a win. Now point 2 is far more interesting. PAP has been systematically engineering the entire system to perpetuate it's rule. As you have rightly pointed out. I wonder if such efforts have been made in bettering singaporeans as a whole, how much different would he average singaporean's life been... Bearing in mind that the median income for the last 10 years is essentially unchanged, it reflects a drastic drop in living standards. If you had done a good job, would here have been a need for all this?

As more and more tricks are dreamed up by aspiring scholars to prop up the failing regime, vultures circle. This system of handouts through growth share packages etc is frankly demeaning to the populace. Rather than thanking the government, it is a reminder of how much they were squeezed during the year.

Well, maligning the citizens in order to perpetuate their rule goes against the rhetoric to serve the needs of the ordinary Singaporeans and blah blah blah. What makes people so gullible and to believe the government is about to change their lives for the better? It is so self-serving and as the saying goes "something smells rotten." The Singapore system is rotten when a 27 year old wet-behind-the-years woman can enter parliament and earn one peanut in a year besides all the perks she gets. I daresay there are maybe only a handful of people that can earn that amount before they reach 30 years of age, and that requires real talents in the right sense of the word.