• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious [ Singapore News ] Beware of Indian Snakes Cross Fire : Zam Zam vs Victory Restaurant

grandtour

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/black-magic-spat-spices-rivalry-between-murtabak-restaurants

Singapore
‘Black magic’ spat spices up rivalry between murtabak restaurants

Screen-Shot-2017-11-21-at-1.38.11-PM.png

Hariz Baharudin
Reporter
Nov 22, 2017 06:00 am

The longstanding rivalry between famous murtabak restaurants Singapore Zam Zam and Victory in North Bridge Road has just become spicier.

The restaurants, once on good terms, now share a history of competitive touting, aggressive expansion and even a slashing. With that checkered past, it's hardly a surprise when allegations of supernatural activities are thrown into the mix.

On Sunday, Singapore Zam Zam uploaded two CCTV videos on its Facebook page showing men scattering what appears to be a powdery substance in the area outside the two restaurants.

In the posts, the restaurant used the phrase "black magic", hinting that its neighbour Victory was up to no good.

Before the video was removed by Singapore Zam Zam, it had more than 91,000 views.

Responding on its own Facebook page on Monday, Victory explained that employees were applying insect repellent powder in front of their restaurant and "no one else's".

As of press time, that post had been shared more than 300 times and had attracted more than 40 comments.

When The New Paper contacted the restaurant, a staff member, 65-year-old Rashid Rahman who has been working there for 40 years, elaborated.

Said Mr Rashid: "What can we do if they want to say such things? We did not put it at their shop, and there was certainly no black magic involved."

When approached by TNP, Singapore Zam Zam's manager Zakir Khan, 46, explained that the reason his establishment made the post was to stop Victory from scattering such powder as it disrupted operations.

"They say its at just their shop but every day for the past week there is powder near our shop. It's not nice to see and not hygienic," said Mr Zakir, who has been a manager for about six years.

When asked if he believed the powder was "black magic", Mr Zakir said that he did not think it was but he used the term in the post to send a clear message to Victory that the practice must stop.

He did not speak to Victory's staff because he said the managements of the two restaurants are not on talking terms.

Mr Zakir added: "I don't believe all this black magic, but the powder can get into my food, so I said that for them to stop."

Singapore Zam Zam opened in 1908 and Victory opened two years after that in 1910.

The two restaurants, which have similar Indian Muslim menus, used to be on better terms, even celebrating festivals together - but a rivalry developed as the years passed.

Before the latest bust-up, the last development in their conflict was a slashing case in which a court heard that Singapore Zam Zam owner Mr Zackeer Abbass Khan had allegedly hired a secret society gangster to slash Victory Restaurant supervisor Liakath Ali Mohamed Ibrahim.

The incident left Mr Liakath with a 7cm scar cut over his right upper lip, which extended to his right cheek.

The man who slashed him, 23-year-old Joshua Navindran Surainthiran, was sentenced to 6½ years' jail and six strokes of the cane for the slashing as well as other crimes last year.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...k-restaurant-workers-face-gets-612-years-jail

Zam Zam v Victory dispute: Gangster hired to slash murtabak restaurant worker's face gets 6½ years' jail, caning

combi.png

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
About the same. Victory is better imho but my favourite is the now defunct Jubilee also along the same stretch. Islamic also along same row is the worst

In the "70s Islamic had the best briyani rice, chicken curry and Mysore mutton along North Bridge Rd. Also the only restaurant to serve northern roti. (In those days these south Indian Muslim restaurants didn't serve northern fare like naan, rogan josh, tandoori chicken.)

But standards have dropped a lot ever since the new management took over in the '90s and brought in chefs who are clueless about traditional south Indian food. Victory is better these days.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My malay friend's aunt who used to run a nasi padang stall got hexed by a rival stall owner. Lost her mind for a few months until a they had to get a bomoh in to undo the hex.

better go 7-11 and grab a sandwich if you need a late night snack. Don't get caught in the bomoh wars

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the "70s Islamic had the best briyani rice, chicken curry and Mysore mutton along North Bridge Rd. Also the only restaurant to serve northern roti. (In those days these south Indian Muslim restaurants didn't serve northern fare like naan, rogan josh, tandoori chicken.)

But standards have dropped a lot ever since the new management took over in the '90s and brought in chefs who are clueless about traditional south Indian food. Victory is better these days.
yup, in the old days, islamic resto was de rigueur for biryani and south indian dishes, same like swee kee in middle road, lai wah canto resto, fut sai kai for veggies, sin leong / red star for dim sum etc for those special occasions. most of these traditional eateries (with some of them shuttered) are past their sell-by dates and nowhere near their prime standards, but merely existing on their past reputation. good riddance :eek:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you know your stuff across the spectrum. Agree with Yellow and you that Islamic was the best for Briyani. They had a branch at basement of T2, used to drop by before flight. Victory and Zam Zam for Murtabak, not much difference.

yup, in the old days, islamic resto was de rigueur for biryani and south indian dishes, same like swee kee in middle road, lai wah canto resto, fut sai kai for veggies, sin leong / red star for dim sum etc for those special occasions. most of these traditional eateries (with some of them shuttered) are past their sell-by dates and nowhere near their prime standards, but merely existing on their past reputation. good riddance :eek:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I miss the Siamese chicken, frogs leg,...from Sin Leong.

Haven't eaten at fit Sai Kai in years. Do they still sell the pau on Saturdays?

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
where are the enforcements when they are needed ?

NEA (touting), TP(traffic blockade).

Are they bribed by Briyani?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fut Sai Kai closed down already.
Now got a clone opened nearby along Jalan Besar main road. Not sure if it’s related to the old one.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

the 64 year old fut sai kai resto has closed down as per Narong. there was an article / interview on it sometime back as the 80 year old owner had no one to continue the biz. also, could be due to drop in patronage ("less" older folks who know this place) and there's only so many things you can do with pure veggies, and not resort to gluten which is not that popular nowsadays.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the 64 year old fut sai kai resto has closed down as per Narong. there was an article / interview on it sometime back as the 80 year old owner had no one to continue the biz. also, could be due to drop in patronage ("less" older folks who know this place) and there's only so many things you can do with pure veggies, and not resort to gluten which is not that popular nowsadays.

I'm not a vegetarian but like their noodle dishes & pau. I remember that at one time they had expanded to a second location just a few doors away.

They must have scaled back due to the difficulty of getting manpower, rent, .. etc

Not really surprised that they have closed. Surviving old businesses are the exception in Spore.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not a vegetarian but like their noodle dishes & pau. I remember that at one time they had expanded to a second location just a few doors away.

They must have scaled back due to the difficulty of getting manpower, rent, .. etc

Not really surprised that they have closed. Surviving old businesses are the exception in Spore.
yeah, those were their more popular dishes, and also vege dumpling soups that were hearty and wholesome which makes one feel like having a system detox. their seasonal veg mooncakes were also popular as I remember my m-i-l and others buy these for the Buddhist nuns and monks which they enjoyed.