• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Researchers discover unfixable bug in Apple’s M1, M2, and M3 Chips

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow, SGI. Haven't heard that name in a long time. They made high end computers, were super fast running risc processors. Famous for using water cooled system in their computers.
SGI machines were far ahead of their time. Their ultimate machine, known as the Onyx 2, needed military clearance since it was a considered a supercomputer and being used by the airforce for flight-sim training. The fucking thing is like an ATM machine and fucking loud as hell. Installed one in person in Jakarta and it was used in movie VFX with a high-end software called Discreet Logic Flame.
SGI office in sinkieland only hired graduates. Even the fucking storeman was a graduate ! Staff there all damn yaya-papaya. They really had us vendors at their mercy. Man, those were the days...some were memorable but most were forgettable.

3487282944_d7a19695ef_b-314237183.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Most companies will have little success suppressing critics, and will be forced to own up eventually, unlike Apple which will elbow the media to its will.
Or is this your first day in IT ?

Never been in IT. However have been a customer of Apple for ages and my experience is that Apple just says nothing no matter what the media says.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
SGI machines were far ahead of their time. Their ultimate machine, known as the Onyx 2, needed military clearance since it was a considered a supercomputer and being used by the airforce for flight-sim training. The fucking thing is like an ATM machine and fucking loud as hell. Installed one in person in Jakarta and it was used in movie VFX with a high-end software called Discreet Logic Flame.
SGI office in sinkieland only hired graduates. Even the fucking storeman was a graduate ! Staff there all damn yaya-papaya. They really had us vendors at their mercy. Man, those were the days...some were memorable but most were forgettable.

View attachment 197661
Yeah those were supercomputers. If I remember correctly, it used it's own SGI Unix. Those days, all the main players had their own proprietary version of Unix. DEC (digital), HP, Sun Solaris, etc.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah those were supercomputers. If I remember correctly, it used it's own SGI Unix. Those days, all the main players had their own proprietary version of Unix. DEC (digital), HP, Sun Solaris, etc.
Yes, it was called Irix. Buggy as fuck and needed constant patching now and then. We had to beg SGI for those patches and needed to make appointment in advance for them to come down as we're not allowed to install those patches ourselves. And patching usually screwed up the expensive software it was running on, so it was always juggling on a tightrope. MediaCock was the biggest customer at the time and we always couldn't get our payment in full because of all these bugs. That's why I hated MediaCock and SGI to the bone to this day. Imagine placating a yaya customer and a yaya supplier while you're caught in the middle....

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Yes, it was called Irix. Buggy as fuck and needed constant patching now and then. We had to beg SGI for those patches and needed to make appointment in advance for them to come down as we're not allowed to install those patches ourselves. And patching usually screwed up the expensive software it was running on, so it was always juggling on a tightrope. MediaCock was the biggest customer at the time and we always couldn't get our payment in full because of all these bugs. That's why I hated MediaCock and SGI to the bone to this day. Imagine placating a yaya customer and a yaya supplier while you're caught in the middle....
Yah, they prided themselves as atas brand. Each computer was at least in the high five figures. No wonder they went bankrupt eventually.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yah, they prided themselves as atas brand. Each computer was at least in the high five figures. No wonder they went bankrupt eventually.
5-figure were the low-end Indy machines. The turquoise color higher-end Indigo started at $125,000 base model and $250,000 with 16Gb of ram. Software was another 5 to 6 figure depending on whether you're doing 2D or 3D.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Windows NT killed them with one swift stroke. When the professional 3D software called Softimage (used in Jurassic Park) was ported to the PC, SGI days were numbered.
Yes when NT came out, I was glad. Moved our multiple servers to it, and junked Novell. Never liked the complexities of unix and all its variants. PC servers (wintel) were becoming more powerful and cheaper.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes when NT came out, I was glad. Moved our multiple servers to it, and junked Novell. Never liked the complexities of unix and all its variants. PC servers (wintel) were becoming more powerful and cheaper.
Installing NT was a full-day event and you prayed hard the last diskette wasn't corrupted. I remember it was around 32 diskettes ! Those were the days, my friend.....getting paid to install diskette one by one, idle like fuck. :laugh:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
5-figure were the low-end Indy machines. The turquoise color higher-end Indigo started at $125,000 base model and $250,000 with 16Gb of ram. Software was another 4 to 5 figure depending whether you're doing 2D or 3D.
yes, the good ones were in the six figures. Only big companies could afford them, could justify their purchase.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Installing NT was a full-day event and you prayed hard the last diskette wasn't corrupted. I remember it was around 32 diskettes ! Those were the days, my friend.....getting paid to install diskette one by one, idle like fuck. :laugh:
Yes, installing with bloody diskettes was a pain in the ass. I can't remember the NT install process. Was there an option to have it on CD? I remember novell had so many diskettes.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, installing with bloody diskettes was a pain in the ass. I can't remember the NT install process. Was there an option to have it on CD? I remember novell had so many diskettes.
Only NT 4.0 came in CD form if I remembered correctly.
If you were from the media industry in the 90s we might have crossed paths....The industry was really small and everyone knew everyone then. Trade shows were like friends gathering. :biggrin:

Last edited:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Only NT 4.0 came in CD form if I remembered correctly.
If you were from the media industry in the 90s we might have crossed paths....The indusry was really small and everyone knew everyone then. Trade shows were like friends gathering. :biggrin:
Not in media but in business software. Buzz words those days were BPR (business process reengineering), SCM (supply chain management), ERP (enterprise resource planning) blah blah. It was fun attending tradeshows, can sian chabor and get lots of freebies. I even got a free polo shirt from SGI.:biggrin:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hardware made in China, not the software, you dumbass.
You dumb enuf not to install a fresh version of Windows OS yourself instead of using the hacked pre-installed one with backdoors all fully opened ?
Linpeh have been in IT since the early 90s dealing with high-performance computing used in Hollywood. Ever heard of Silicon Graphics ? Probably not. You're likely just a fucking sperm in your father's ball during that time.
Honestly, stupidity has no cure in your case.
lol u are really not that smart. Read more books, hang out with educated people and maybe there’s a teachable moment for you. Haha

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hardware made in China, not the software, you dumbass.
You dumb enuf not to install a fresh version of Windows OS yourself instead of using the hacked pre-installed one with backdoors all fully opened ?
Linpeh have been in IT since the early 90s dealing with high-performance computing used in Hollywood. Ever heard of Silicon Graphics ? Probably not. You're likely just a fucking sperm in your father's ball during that time.
Honestly, stupidity has no cure in your case.
By the way, MELVIN you don’t be so xia lan la. Haha

ChinaCommunistSG

Alfrescian
Loyal
今天你讲很多故事 @blackmondy 讲古