• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Question: If I have not returned a library book which I borrowed way back in 1986, and if I sign up as a NLB member now, will they be able to trace?

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't want to end up paying thousands in fines. That's why I have not borrowed a book from the library for decades.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Probably not. Anyway, there is no need to be a member, you can just borrow the books with your NRIC card. The 'perks' involved with membership are just not worth it.

Also, the library books/cards in that era should have the old NLB lion logo printed somewhere. They are collector's items, keep them.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Probably not. Anyway, there is no need to be a member, you can just borrow the books with your NRIC card. The 'perks' involved with membership are just not worth it.

Also, the library books/cards in that era should have the old NLB lion logo printed somewhere. They are collector's items, keep them.

You mean don't even need to register as a member? Just self checkout with NRIC and scan the books? I haven't stepped into a NLB library since school days.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You mean don't even need to register as a member? Just self checkout with NRIC and scan the books? I haven't stepped into a NLB library since school days.

Yes, it's just like scanning your items at the supermarket self-checkout counter now. Scan the books you want to borrow, then scan your NRIC. Taking a receipt is optional, you will be prompted.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't want to end up paying thousands in fines. That's why I have not borrowed a book from the library for decades.

'000s in fines? ... wat book u borrowed? ... whole set of encyclopedia? ...

if dey wan so much moni, u buy ze same book n gif 2 dem la ...

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

You're an oppie who stole from the State. Return your book to NLB now, pay the fines and we'll forgive your terrible crimes.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I remember correctly, the local libraries only computerised in the early 90s. It has probably gone through several more rounds of migrations. I think it's safe to assume your loan record from 1986 no longer matters

MaximiLian

Alfrescian
Loyal
scared don’t borrow, borrow don’t scared.
juz scan ur ic @ ze self service kiosk 2 ownself check ownself 4 any outstanding fine :wink:

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
scared don’t borrow, borrow don’t scared.
juz scan ur ic @ ze self service kiosk 2 ownself check ownself 4 any outstanding fine :biggrin: :wink:
The kiosk will display that he has to appear in court for those overdue outstanding fines..... :biggrin:

Last edited:

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
That mean TS ish taking out the book w/o scan IC or authorised mean?

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal

Means interests penalty should become astronomical. Better to declare and explain the reasons for the delay. Else sure GG.