• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NS deferment

loneshark

Alfrescian
Loyal
Would like to learn more from brothers here.

Under what circumstances would NS be defered?
I am not talking about white horse cases, just ordinary no-connection folks.

Typically if it is diploma course, NS is defered till after diploma course. What about uni degrees? My understanding is that all boys must serve NS before degree courses, except for SAF scholarship holders. Correct?
(2) Is there a case where the kid enrols in a degree course before age 16.5, he will be allowed to finish his degree course before enlistment? What is the procedure for this situation?
I have heard of people doing it a few years ago. But recently heard they closed it. Hope someone here can shed some light.

Kumsia!

koala88

Alfrescian
Loyal
My understanding is that all boys must serve NS before degree courses, except for SAF scholarship holders. Correct?
(2) Is there a case where the kid enrols in a degree course before age 16.5, he will be allowed to finish his degree course before enlistment? What is the procedure for this situation?

Uni degree program no deferment regardless whether he commenced his degree program before age 16.5.

BTW are you a PR or Singaporean?

loneshark

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uni degree program no deferment regardless whether he commenced his degree program before age 16.5.

Asking this on behalf of a friend currently based overseas. He is Singaporean, so is the kid.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

But my singaporean friend deferred his NS, did his degree in Aust first. Finish his degree then came back to sg to serve his NS.

One of my best mates. But happened about in 96/97, 16 years ago.. rules might have changed since then..

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Taiwan

Taiwan's conscription is 12month and they are pretty flexible about the age of enlishment too;
"All draft age males will receive notices requiring them to report to the conscription sections of their local government offices at age 19 for preliminary assessment. Deferments are available for students of higher education institutions up to certain cutoff ages (24 for a bachelors degree, 27 for a masters degree, and 30 for a doctoral degree), as well as for draftees with one sibling already serving. Following completion of the active duty service period, all draftees are demobilized with all emigration restrictions lifted and are considered reservists until age 36."

koala88

Alfrescian
Loyal
But my singaporean friend deferred his NS, did his degree in Aust first. Finish his degree then came back to sg to serve his NS.

One of my best mates. But happened about in 96/97, 16 years ago.. rules might have changed since then..

That is correct many years ago. Recent changes to the regulations does not permit finish degree 1st then come back to serve NS.