• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New Yorkers explain their fears about being the next crime victim: ‘I’m definitely moving’

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

New Yorkers explain their fears about being the next crime victim: ‘I’m definitely moving’​

By
Jack Morphet and Georgett Roberts

July 12, 2023 4:54pm
Updated

New Yorkers have unleashed in detail about how they are feeling increasingly unsafe on the city’s streets and subways — and how they fear they could be the next victim of crime.

The Post spoke to several locals on Wednesday about the current state of crime in the Big Apple after a grim new Siena College poll found 41% of New Yorkers have “never” been so on-edge about their own safety.

Some said their feelings of insecurity was driving them to carry pepper spray, constantly have their guard up — and even leave the city.

Here’s what they had to say:

Paula Gavioli: 32
The 32-year-old, who said she loves the Big Apple so much that she has “NEW YORK” tattooed on her calf, now feels so unsafe she’s relocating from the Financial District to New Jersey.

“I’m definitely moving. I’m going to Jersey soon because it’s safer and cleaner,” Gavioli said. “It’s sad to be looking for another place to live that’s safer and where I can have a better life.”

The executive assistant said she also now carries pepper spray in her handbag at all times.

“It’s usually in my bag but whenever I don’t feel safe walking around I carry it in my hand,” she said.''

NYPICHPDPICT000013942551.jpg

“I am concerned I will be the next victim of crime, especially being a woman,” Gavioli continued. “I have friends who have been threatened with knives.”

In addition to feeling unsafe on the subway, Gavioli said she now even has her guard up in areas like West Village where she’s noticed more people shooting up drugs.

“I used to only feel unsafe late at night, but nowadays you have to watch out all the time in New York,” she said.

“There are a lot of homeless and people doing drugs in the streets and you never know how they’ll react when you walk past. There are a lot of people with mental health problems who don’t want to be in shelters. We have enough shelters but they don’t want to be there.”

Marjorie Mann: 39
“I am concerned about being a victim of crime,” Mann said.

“I have lived in New York for 16 years and this is the first time I find myself nervous at subway stations — making sure no one’s going to push me off and being aware of the other people on the train.

“I didn’t even think about my safety before and now I think about it every time I walk down to the subway. I want to make sure ‘m not oblivious.”

Mann, who lives in East Village and works as a chef, said walking on a street now also made her feel uneasy.

NYPICHPDPICT000013942569.jpg

“Being in public places feels more unsafe than ever before. I have got into the habit of only wearing one headphone,” she said.

“There’s been an increase in violence. People seem they have much shorter fuses. People seem like they’re looking for fights a little bit more than they used to. People seem angry and like they’re looking for an excuse to get it out.”

Speaking about Mayor Eric Adams, Mann said: “The Mayor’s not new anymore and I’m not seeing anything improve.”

Maurice Marbles: 62
The Manhattanite, who works in construction, argued the subway was among the most dangerous parts of the city nowadays.

“The subways are full of shootings, slashing, people get pushed on the tracks… People are just trying to go to work,” he said.

“Of course I’m concerned. Everybody is taking a chance when they go out. The police can’t be everywhere at every time so it’s people.”

NYPICHPDPICT000013954030.jpg

“I have bought pepper spray. I’ve always had pepper spray,” Marbles added. “I try to protect myself, definitely, you have to. You have the right to.”

Despite the apparent decrease in major crime across the city last month, the construction worker said he doesn’t feel the difference.

“This s–t is more crazy now since the pandemic. I’ve been live here 20 years and it seems things of gotten worse since the pandemic,” he said.

Felecia Quarles: 64

“New York City isn’t safe,” Quarles said, adding she commutes from Long Island to the West Village each day for her property management job.

“The streets and the subway are equally unsafe. Unfortunately I catch the subway every day to come into work.”

NYPICHPDPICT000013954648.jpg

“I come here for work and I go home, that’s it, I don’t like it in the city,” Quarles continued. “I’m glad every day when I get home to Long Island. It’s safer on Long Island.”

She added that Mayor Eric Adams may think it’s only a perception of crime but “I’ve been threatened right here on this street by a homeless person who just jumped in my face and said ‘I’m going to effing kill you’.”

Seberina Levine: 62

“We are not in a safe environment,” the Brooklyn grandmother said.

“As long as I’m in the house I’m safe. While I’m out here I’m not safe but I have to come out. I’m always thinking I’m going to be a victim of crime.”

NYPICHPDPICT000013954640.jpg

Levine, who has seven grandkids and one great-grandchild, said: “You gotta keep your eyes open. It’s dangerous out here, real dangerous.”

She added: “It’s not a perception of danger, it’s really dangerous. We have to walk out here every day not knowing if someone is going to slash us across the face, knock us down or rob us. It’s dangerous out here in the streets.

“It’s all the same — the streets, the subway, it’s all dangerous.”

Screenshot-2023-07-12-184447.png

Source:https://nypost.com/2023/07/12/new-yorkers-on-why-they-fear-becoming-crime-victims/