• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Nam Seng Wanton Mee Old Fart UpLorry

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

Remembering 'Ah Po': Leong Yuet Meng, beloved owner of popular Nam Seng wanton noodle stall, dies at age 94​

She leaves behind a culinary legacy spanning over six decades, from the old National Library to Far East Square to Toa Payoh North​

Nisha Rahim
Nisha Rahim
·News and Lifestyle Producer
Thu, 8 February 2024 at 6:39 am GMT

Leong Yuet Meng, owner of Nam Seng Noodle House hawker stall, affectionately known as Ah Po or Granny, died at 94

Leong Yuet Meng, owner of Nam Seng Noodle House hawker stall, affectionately known as Ah Po or Granny, died at 94. (PHOTO: FB/namsengnoodles)
SINGAPORE —The owner of the well-loved Nam Seng Noodle House hawker stall, Leong Yuet Meng, fondly known to her customers as "Ah Po" or "Granny", has died at the age of 94.
Her stall announced her passing via a Facebook post on Wednesday (7 Feb), expressing gratitude for her years of service, "She has fed us her wanton mee with warmth, love, and fiery personality. She will be dearly missed. Let us celebrate her life."
Leong, believed to be one of Singapore's oldest hawkers, first operated her stall in 1962 with her late husband at the old National Library canteen along Stamford Road, according to the Nam Seng Noodle House website.

Leong Yuet Meng's culinary legacy​

For more than 40 years, the stall gained immense popularity for their delicious wanton mee and beef hor fun, before the library building was demolished in 2004. The Straits Times reported that throughout her tenure, Leong passed on her culinary skills to around five individuals, all of whom retired before her.
Conversant primarily in Cantonese, Leong eventually relocated her stall to Far East Square after the closure of the old National Library. However, amid the challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Nam Seng ceased operations in 2020.
In April 2022, Leong reopened Nam Seng for business, this time in a coffee shop named Che Kitchen in Toa Payoh North.

Outpouring of tributes​

Comments flooded in on the Nam Seng Facebook post. User Roger Loh wrote, "When I worked at SMRT from 1992 to 1994, we practically ate at her stall at National Library every other day. I miss her as well as the library."
Another user, David Wong, posted, "We have lost a legend! I always had fond memories whenever I visited her stall, and her delicious dishes (wanton noodles, beef hor fun, fried rice) always filled me up and recharged me.
"Deepest condolences to you and loved ones."

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always patronized her stall next to National Library in the 80s and 90s after hanging out at MPH. She has a big silver basin to cool her noodles. Really 古早味.

MotorXiao

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always patronized her stall next to National Library in the 80s and 90s after hanging out at MPH. She has a big silver basin to cool her noodles. Really 古早味.

Rarely in Sinkieland I can still find this kind of cooking method. However, Malaysia still have.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
R

Remembering 'Ah Po': Leong Yuet Meng, beloved owner of popular Nam Seng wanton noodle stall, dies at age 94​

She leaves behind a culinary legacy spanning over six decades, from the old National Library to Far East Square to Toa Payoh North​

Nisha Rahim
Nisha Rahim

Leong Yuet Meng, owner of Nam Seng Noodle House hawker stall, affectionately known as Ah Po or Granny, died at 94

Leong Yuet Meng, owner of Nam Seng Noodle House hawker stall, affectionately known as Ah Po or Granny, died at 94. (PHOTO: FB/namsengnoodles)
SINGAPORE —The owner of the well-loved Nam Seng Noodle House hawker stall, Leong Yuet Meng, fondly known to her customers as "Ah Po" or "Granny", has died at the age of 94.
Her stall announced her passing via a Facebook post on Wednesday (7 Feb), expressing gratitude for her years of service, "She has fed us her wanton mee with warmth, love, and fiery personality. She will be dearly missed. Let us celebrate her life."
Leong, believed to be one of Singapore's oldest hawkers, first operated her stall in 1962 with her late husband at the old National Library canteen along Stamford Road, according to the Nam Seng Noodle House website.

For more than 40 years, the stall gained immense popularity for their delicious wanton mee and beef hor fun, before the library building was demolished in 2004. The Straits Times reported that throughout her tenure, Leong passed on her culinary skills to around five individuals, all of whom retired before her.
Conversant primarily in Cantonese, Leong eventually relocated her stall to Far East Square after the closure of the old National Library. However, amid the challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Nam Seng ceased operations in 2020.
In April 2022, Leong reopened Nam Seng for business, this time in a coffee shop named Che Kitchen in Toa Payoh North.

Outpouring of tributes​

Comments flooded in on the Nam Seng Facebook post. User Roger Loh wrote, "When I worked at SMRT from 1992 to 1994, we practically ate at her stall at National Library every other day. I miss her as well as the library."
Another user, David Wong, posted, "We have lost a legend! I always had fond memories whenever I visited her stall, and her delicious dishes (wanton noodles, beef hor fun, fried rice) always filled me up and recharged me.

RIP. Condolences to family

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nisha Rahim
Nisha Rahim

Outpouring of tributes​

Moi jiak her wanton mee at old National Library, really got kung-fu wan.