• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Muud Hatter Gong Cheebye Why He Lost Jiuhu GE! Can Samsters Please Explain To Him Why His Party Lose Until Pants Drop?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
2022111112066759dff73e0d-2075-4340-bf3a-7ca92764c241_0.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR - Months after his disastrous defeat in last year’s Malaysia general election, former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad is still in the dark over the reasons why voters rejected him.

Expressing sadness over the turn of events, Tun Dr Mahathir insisted that he did not do anything wrong against voters on the tax-free island of Langkawi in Kedah, where he had failed to retain his parliamentary seat.

“I was voted out and lost 14,000 votes. I do not know what I did wrong. What did I do?” English daily The New Straits Times quoted him as saying.

In the Nov 19 national polls, Dr Mahathir, Malaysia’s longest-serving ex-premier, secured just 4,566 votes, losing his deposit to Perikatan Nasional’s Suhaimi Abdullah who had the backing of 25,463 voters.

It is the 98-year-old’s first defeat in Malaysia’s parliamentary elections since he lost in 1969.

Dr Mahathir admitted that the results were “a little upsetting”, especially since he has done a lot to develop the island.

“I’m not sulking, but I did a lot for Langkawi.”

Dr Mahathir’s loss came despite widespread appreciation for his contributions in Langkawi.

He is widely respected for bringing prosperity and development to the island by declaring it a tax-free haven in 1987, when he was Malaysia’s premier. The move drew a slew of tourism investments, including an international airport, ferry services and luxury hotels.

The loss dealt a final blow to Dr Mahathir’s Parti Pejuang Tanah Air (Pejuang), which contested and lost in all the 121 parliamentary seats nationwide.

Voters were unconvinced by Dr Mahathir’s promise of repairing the country’s economy and bringing back foreign investments and jobs by eradicating corruption within the government and cleaning up some RM42 billion(S$13.05 billion) in national debt racked up by former prime minister Najib Razak.

There were also voters who had grown disenchanted with Dr Mahathir’s leadership after he resigned as premier in 2020 and failed to hand over the reins of government to current prime minister Anwar Ibrahim as promised.

Days after his shocking defeat, Dr Mahathir said he will turn to writing about his country’s history.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/s...ys-malaysia-s-ex-pm-mahathir-on-his-ge-defeat

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
This muud old fool should wait another 5 years before contesting again. Hopefully everything will be forgotten by than n he can start fresh again @The ripe young age of 103.....