• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Multiverse?

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
What are our resident physicists & theologists' views on this one?

The TV docus I watched talked about string theory (multi-dimensional) and dark energy level etc to support the case for a multiverse.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
What are our resident physicists & theologists' views on this one?

The TV docus I watched talked about string theory (multi-dimensional) and dark energy level etc to support the case for a multiverse.

bro,
the definition of a universe encapsulates everything that's possible and everything that's impossible.
the notion of parallel universes and multiple universes may well be contained within this observable universe.
have we been able to track anything faster than the speed of light? is the speed of light the limit? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
what we don't see doesn't mean it isn't there, merely a lack of capability to detect it, that's all. any reasons or cause for worship? not at this moment in the way me sees it, but me is still in awe nonetheless :smile::smile::smile:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
zhihau said:
bro,
the definition of a universe encapsulates everything that's possible and everything that's impossible.
the notion of parallel universes and multiple universes may well be contained within this observable universe.

I believe multiverse actually refers to a system of parallel universes or universes in other dimensions, universes that we cannot be observed directly but their existence do not directly contradict existing laws of nature and in particularly the String Theory or M Theory, if these are a true representation of the true state of things, which implies the existence of multiple universes. This is very much like square-rooting a negative number. You get a real and an imaginary component. At the beginning, the imaginary part was thought as just a useless imaginary by product of the maths. But we now know that we can use that to derive useful physical relationships to describe the real physical world. The mathematics in String Theory is like Tensor Calculus during Einstein's time when he propounded his General Theory of Relativity. During Einstein's time, no more than 10 people could follow him. Today a lot more could understand String Theory, anyone who takes up a formal university education on this module. But I am not one of them as I am from an earlier era.

But imagine the scenario if this is true. Our core concepts of conservation can be thrown out of the window or at least out of this observable universe and new conservation laws encompassing multiple universes must be developed. Energy-mass can be destroyed if conservation laws are broken.

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Energy-mass can be destroyed if conservation laws are broken.

agree, always thought the notion of the universe encompass all dimensions, even if we include the parallel universes within this observable universe :o:o:o

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GOD IS MY DOG said:
what's new ???

the Buddha have long said they are countless number of universes out there....................

If that is correct, then this aspect of Buddha's teaching is in line with one latest trend of scientific thought.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what's new ???

the Buddha have long said they are countless number of universes out there....................

Not only that, he also said that universes continually expand and then contract resulting in multiple big bangs. Of course, one cycle of expansion and contraction takes millions of years, which he calls an aeon.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kryonlight said:
Not only that, he also said that universes continually expand and then contract resulting in multiple big bangs. Of course, one cycle of expansion and contraction takes millions of years, which he calls an aeon.

This part about contraction after expansion followed by other Big Bangs have not been mainstream theory yet but there is a theory called the oscillation theory which some scientists are working on.

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all, thanks for the input.

1) My understanding of a multiverse is it's made up of (infinite) universes and these universes can exist on a 3-dimensional plane or otherwise. Acceptable?

2) Is the case for a multiverse considered pseudo-science or mainstream stuff? What are the criteria for such categorization?

Thanks.