• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mrs Lina Chiam’s speech in Parliament

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=1]SPP in Parliament: Mrs Lina Chiam’s speech in response to Ministerial Statement on MND’s Town Councils Review
[/h]
Madam Speaker,

MPs and Town Councillors are public servants. In Section 21 of the Penal Code, a public servant is defined as an “officer whose duty it is, as such officer, to take, receive, keep or expend any property, on behalf of Government”. Their status was the same before and after the Town Councils Act was passed in 1988. Through that Act, HDB merely divested its powers in the management and maintenance of their estates to the individual Town Councils.

The Town Councils Act might have been enacted to give the elected MPs as much latitude as possible to run the Town Councils within broad and general rules. But they are still fully subject to the Penal Code as public servants.

Singaporeans therefore find some key points in the AIM transaction puzzling. The Review before us has not satisfied the questions in their minds: -

- How can a two-dollar company, with no staff, be deemed to have an established track record in providing IT services to Town Councils? The fact that AIM was awarded the tender seems to have hinged solely on their past working experience with the PAP Town Councils.

- How can the Review report say that there was no conflict of interest in the AIM transaction, simply because ‘no one made money’? I am not sure if any lawyer will be satisfied with how ‘conflict of interest’ is defined here.

Even if Town Councils are understood to be political, as provided for by the Town Councils Act, it does not mean that we can just forget about the concerns of residents over governance and due diligence.

What ever happened to the mantra that we must strive to observe best practices in public transactions? The Review report does not mention anything about best practices.

So if the Review concludes that the AIM transaction is in compliance with the Town Councils Act, then the Act is not well drafted. The Act must be revised to better address public concern over conflict-of-interest issues and criteria for the award of tenders.

The Review Team recommended a strategic review of TCs in their current form. One question that has been posed is – should Town Councils revert to centralised control under HDB, as in the pre-1988 situation?

When the Town Councils Act was passed in 1988, it was said that the Government wanted to make life harder for Opposition MPs in running their constituencies. Nevertheless, Potong Pasir Town Council, the only Opposition-held town council then, took up the challenge. We worked hard to run the town. I believe we did a good job, and I believe we earned the trust of our residents throughout 27 years.

But a lot of unfair obstacles were thrown at the Potong Pasir Town Council.

To obtain CIPC funds, we had to seek the endorsement of the Advisor of the Residents’ Committees, who had always been the PAP’s candidate for the constituency. Indeed, no Opposition politician has ever been allowed to become the Advisor of the RCs, even when that politician is the sitting MP for that constituency.

When it was under the Opposition, Potong Pasir did not obtain a single cent from the CIPC fund or any HDB-related funding. The sole exception was funding for improving barrier-free accessibility, granted in 2010. That was, after all, a nation-wide exercise for wheel-chair bound residents.

Recently, Potong Pasir obtained $5 million from MND for the Neighbourhood Renewal Programe, or NRP. I am happy for the residents of Potong Pasir, but I would have hoped that the residents be more informed and involved in the planning of the NRP exercise to decide what they really want for their estate. After all residents have a stake in their estate. While physical structures and beautifications can be bought with money, the ‘software’ of community ties and interactions can never be bought.

All Town Councils, whether they are held by the PAP or not, should be able to benefit from community improvement grants from the HDB. Residents are all tax-payers and deserve equal treatment.

Advisers to the RCs cannot be given the power to endorse community improvement projects or otherwise. Why should the sitting MP, who is democratically elected by the people, be at the mercy of the RC Adviser? MND has got to change this.

MND started publishing the Town Council Management Report in 2010 as a form of a report card on their town councils’ performance in estate management.

The Opposition-held constituencies of Potong Pasir and Hougang were always ranked lowly. The residents however, are happy with our management of the Town Council.

The evaluation process for the purpose of the TCMR must be led by investigators independent of the MND and HDB, to avoid biasness in the reporting and branding of the performance of Town Councils.

Town Councils should retain their current powers to manage estates, and MND should not have central control over them – for example, when implementing ad-hoc policies at any time, without debate in Parliament.

In conclusion, my question to the Minister is this – is the Government willing to improve the framework for running the Town Councils in the best interests of Singaporeans? Whether they live in a PAP- or an Opposition-held Town Council, they all pay taxes.

Going forward, I urge the MND to review the best practices that Town Councillors must adopt for the running of their Town Councils, as public servants.

Thank you.

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://forums.delphiforums.com/3in1kopitiam/messages?msg=66232.37
To: ALL (37 of 37)
66232.37 in reply to 66232.35
Is it just me or is Lina getting better each day?

I hope the daft, silent majority in PP SMC can open their eyes to see, open their ears to listen and open their heart to feel, the couple who had served them tirelessly for decades.

http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/05/3...to-debate-mda-licensing-regime-in-parliament/
NCMP Lina Chiam files motion to debate MDA licensing regime in Parliament
DMCA.com May 31st, 2013 | Author: Editorial

Mrs Lina Chiam

NCMP Mrs Lina Chiam of the Singapore People’s Party (SPP) has filed an adjounment motion for Parliament to debate the Media Development Authority’s (MDA) latest licensing regime for websites, pending the confirmation of the Parliament Secretariat.

The primary object of an adjournment motion is to draw the attention of the House (Parliament) to a recent matter of urgent public importance having serious consequences and in regard to which a motion or a resolution with proper notice will be too late. The House is required to pay its attention immediately by interrupting the normal business of the House.

In a press statement released to TR Emeritus (TRE) today, SPP said that it “views the Media Development Authority’s latest licensing regime for websites with grave concern” and “finds it even more worrying that the regulations were not brought for debate in Parliament, the body of elected representatives of the people”.

As such, SPP said that its NCMP, Mrs Lina Chiam, has filed an adjournment motion to speak on the matter at the next Parliamentary sitting, pending the confirmation of the Parliament Secretariat.

Additionally, the SPP said that it wants to be the representative of the community-at-large and is seeking to “hear from bloggers and concerned citizens as to how the MDA’s latest internet regulations” will affect their activities.

The SPP invites bloggers and concerned citizens to write to [email protected].
Meanwhile, about 20 websites have issued a joint statement calling on the MDA to withdraw the new licensing regime.

Related: Major S’pore websites jointly protest against licensing rule

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mrs Chiam, at times I think you are braver than Chiam See Tong who himself admitted that he's not a very brave man. Keep it up, Lina. You will win support come next election.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Understand uncle leong has been helping out with the empirical work. The political calls and positioning is however still done personally by uncle chiam.

Lina Chiam comes across as the unlikeliest person ever to become an opposition politician. She has clearly grown and appeals for the same reason that LLL appeals - a simple Singaporean woman driven by the PAP to stand up against them. I would say she has a more than fair chance of taking back Potong Pasir from the PAP.

Excellent points - the hand of Chiam.

Last edited:

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Understand uncle leong has been helping out with the empirical work. The political calls and positioning is however still done personally by uncle chiam.

Lina Chiam comes across as the unlikeliest person ever to become an opposition politician. She has clearly grown and appeals for the same reason that LLL appeals - a simple Singaporean woman driven by the PAP to stand up against them. I would say she has a more than fair chance of taking back Potong Pasir from the PAP.

Provided PP is not being absorbed come next GE.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please understand people, Lina has no real constituency to take care off like her husband had for ages. So of course she is free to file so many motions.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
She's on the right track, with CST's coaching. She is getting into the swing of being a politician. By the next GE, she will be even better.