• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MI6 organised execution of DRC leader Lumumba, peer claims

Simmons

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

MI6 organised execution of DRC leader Lumumba, peer claims

British spies admitted helping to organise the detention and execution of the first prime minister of the Democratic Republic of Congo in the 1960s, a peer has claimed.

PD2243849_BELGIUM__2524504b.jpg

British spies admitted helping to organise the detention and execution of Patrice Lumumba the first prime minister of the Democratic Republic of Congo in the 1960s, a peer has claimed. Photo: AP

By Tom Whitehead 6:46PM BST 01 Apr 2013

Baroness (Daphne) Park of Monmouth, who was the senior MI6 officer in the African country at the time, said she had "organised it", according to the Labour peer Lord Lea. Independence leader Patrice Lumumba was arrested, tortured and executed just months after becoming the first democratically elected prime minister of the DRC in 1960.

Although rebel forces carried out the killing, it has long been claimed that foreign intelligence agencies played a part. Belgium, from which Lumumba won independence, apologised in 2002 for having some responsibility by failing to prevent his death, while in 2006 documents showed the CIA had plotted to assassinate him but the plot was abandoned.

However, Lord Lea of Crondall, claims he was told by Baroness Park herself that MI6 had also played a role. He made the revelation in response to a review of a book by Calder Walton in to British intelligence in the London Review of Books.

Lord Lea wrote: "Referring to the controversy surrounding the death of Patrice Lumumba in1960, Bernard Porter quotes Calder Walton's conclusion: 'The question remains whether British plots to assassinate Lumumba ever amounted to anything. At present, we do not know' .

"Actually, in this particular case, I can report that we do. It so happens that I was having a cup of tea with Daphne Park – we were colleagues from opposite sides of the Lords – a few months before she died in March 2010.

"She had been consul and first secretary in Leopoldville, now Kinshasa, from 1959 to 1961, which in practice (this was subsequently acknowledged) meant head of MI6 there.

"I mentioned the uproar surrounding Lumumba's abduction and murder, and recalled the theory that MI6 might have had something to do with it. 'We did,' she replied, 'I organised it.'"

Lord Lea went on to claim Baroness Park had indicated that the reason was because of concerns that Lumumba may be a communist siding with Soviet Russia.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sadly she was also his biggest supporter having known him as a young adult, grooming him to fight the Belgians. I suppose out of guilt, both she and her CIA kept in touch and visited each other after their respective retirement. The CIA led the coup and put the most corrupt dictator in African history in the form of Mobutu Sese Seko who ruled and robbed the country for 32 years.