• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Machiavelli: Unsinkification needed for LEEgime change to last

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A PEOPLE ACCUSTOMED TO LIVING UNDER A PRINCE, IF BY SOME ACCIDENT BECOMES FREE, MAINTAINS ITS LIBERTY WITH DIFFICULTY
(Book I, Chapter XVI of MACHIAVELLI’s Discourses on Livy - this is an abridged version, edited by me)

Many examples from history will show how difficult it is for a people used to living under a Prince (LEEgime) to preserve their liberty after they had by some accident acquired it, as Rome acquired it after driving out the Tarquins. Such difficulty is reasonable, because that people is nothing else other than a brute animal, which although by nature ferocious and wild, has always been brought up in prison and servitude. Later being left by chance free in a field, and not being accustomed to obtain food or not knowing where to find shelter for refuge, becomes prey to the first one who seeks to enchain it again.

This same thing happens to a people, who being accustomed to living under governments of others, not knowing to reason either on public defense or offense, not knowing the LEEgime or being known by them, return readily under a yoke, which often times is more heavy than that which a short time before had been taken from their necks.

To the above should be added another difficulty, which is that the state which becomes free makes enemy partisans, and not friendly partisans. All those men become its enemy partisans who avail themselves of the tyrannical state, feeding on the riches of the LEEgime, and who when they are deprived of the faculty of thus availing themselves, cannot live content, and some are forced to attempt to reestablish the tyranny so as to recover their authority.

It does not, as I have said, acquire friendly partisans, for a free society bestows honours and rewards through the medium of honest and predetermined rules, and outside of which does not honour or reward anyone. When one receives those honours and rewards as appears to them he merits, he does not consider he has any obligation to repay them. With regards to freedom from expropriation and the like in a free society, no one will ever confess himself to have an obligation to one who only does not offend him.

Please feel free to comment.

For the original, see Book I, Chapter XVI of Machiavelli’s Discourses on Livy, available here:

http://www.constitution.org/mac/disclivy1.htm#1:04

Last edited:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello ass cheeks,

Common people submit to good leadership. It is known. Order is preferable to chaos. Liberty is chaotic. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My stalker finally arrives. What took you so long ass hole. For a Lazy Fat Cat aka Garfield (read ENEMY PARTISAN of a state recently liberated against an authoritarian LEEgime), of course the status quo is best. You are not part of the oppressed common people and are qualified to speak on their behalf.

Hello ass cheeks,

Common people submit to good leadership. It is known. Order is preferable to chaos. Liberty is chaotic. Quod erat demonstrandum.

From another thread:

You got me bro. I admit it. I am a paid PAP IB but I do it to put my 12 kids into college. Have a heart!

Do note that I am not the only one who has called you an IB. I recall a remark by Samster Fook Seng to that effect.

You dumb ass PAP IBs need to be really careful with your choice of avatars. When we crossed swords last time you had Fidel Castrated as your avatar - dictator dying and clinging on to power like the Old Fart. Now when the passage alludes to well connected but not necessarily able partisans against a recently liberated state you have Fat Cat Garfield as your avatar. No wonder the country is going to dogs. Even their IBs are incompetent. Can you please ask your IB Chief to send someone else to stalk me? I demand a better and more skilled opponent.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My stalker finally arrives. What took you so long ass hole. For a Lazy Fat Cat aka Garfield (read ENEMY PARTISAN of a state recently liberated against an authoritarian LEEgime), of course the status quo is best. You are not part of the
oppressed common people and are NOT qualified to speak on their behalf.

Typo corrected - You are not part of the oppressed common people and are NOT qualified to speak on their behalf.

From NOT your Friendly Mustachioed Rebel. Cheers. Working on a weekend really sucks.

ns is killing singapore

Alfrescian
Loyal
A PEOPLE ACCUSTOMED TO LIVING UNDER A PRINCE, IF BY SOME ACCIDENT BECOMES FREE, MAINTAINS ITS LIBERTY WITH DIFFICULTY
(Book I, Chapter XVI of MACHIAVELLI’s Discourses on Livy - this is an abridged version, edited by me)

Many examples from history will show how difficult it is for a people used to living under a Prince (LEEgime) to preserve their liberty after they had by some accident acquired it, as Rome acquired it after driving out the Tarquins. Such difficulty is reasonable, because that people is nothing else other than a brute animal, which although by nature ferocious and wild, has always been brought up in prison and servitude. Later being left by chance free in a field, and not being accustomed to obtain food or not knowing where to find shelter for refuge, becomes prey to the first one who seeks to enchain it again.

This same thing happens to a people, who being accustomed to living under governments of others, not knowing to reason either on public defense or offense, not knowing the LEEgime or being known by them, return readily under a yoke, which often times is more heavy than that which a short time before had been taken from their necks.

To the above should be added another difficulty, which is that the state which becomes free makes enemy partisans, and not friendly partisans. All those men become its enemy partisans who avail themselves of the tyrannical state, feeding on the riches of the LEEgime, and who when they are deprived of the faculty of thus availing themselves, cannot live content, and some are forced to attempt to reestablish the tyranny so as to recover their authority.

It does not, as I have said, acquire friendly partisans, for a free society bestows honours and rewards through the medium of honest and predetermined rules, and outside of which does not honour or reward anyone. When one receives those honours and rewards as appears to them he merits, he does not consider he has any obligation to repay them. With regards to freedom from expropriation and the like in a free society, no one will ever confess himself to have an obligation to one who only does not offend him.

Please feel free to comment.

For the original, see Book I, Chapter XVI of Machiavelli’s Discourses on Livy, available here:

http://www.constitution.org/mac/disclivy1.htm#1:04
very much like the ROC in it's early years,events ensued creates the one party PRC nation.