• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Life on the run

rolleyez

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Life on the run

August 1, 2013 - 1:04am

By: Rennie Whang

01b7525a.jpg

TNP PHOTO ILLUSTRATION: Ariffin Jamar

On the run from the law, Mr Tony Ong (not his real name), 53, couldn’t stop worrying about his wife and two daughters, aged 4 and 6.

He had threatened a 20-year-old student with a knife and hit him over the head with a beer bottle in November.

Afraid the victim had died, Mr Ong went home after the incident, took his passport and fled to Malaysia, returning only one and a half months later.

Fugitive life is now back in the spotlight, after a man wanted for a 2001 murder in Toa Payoh was earlier this month arrested in Malaysia and brought back to Singapore.

While in Malaysia, Mr Ong said he stayed with his wife’s relatives in Johor and Kuala Lumpur and also rented places on his own.

He spent his days walking about whichever neighbourhoods he happened to stay in, going close by for meals, or staying indoors and worrying.

He was jailed three months in April, and was released from prison last month.

He said of his time spent on the run: “It was very hard to sleep. I would get at most three or four hours a night. Other than thinking about my family, I wondered what would happen if I came back home, what life in jail and after jail would be like."

Read the full report in The New Paper on Thursday (August 1).