• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Japan tube drivers seek damages after bonuses trimmed over refusal to shave off beard

Gmail

Alfrescian
Loyal

Japan tube drivers seek damages after bonuses trimmed over refusal to shave off beards

PUBLISHED : Monday, 14 March, 2016, 11:16pm
UPDATED : Monday, 14 March, 2016, 11:30pm

The Guardian

67122828-e9f6-11e5-bb15-d58a421cbfc6_1280x720.jpg

A subway driver speaks at a press conference in Osaka, western Japan, on March 9, 2016, after filing a lawsuit, along with one of his colleagues, against the Osaka municipal government, claiming their bonuses were cut for refusing to shave off their beards. Photo: Kyodo

Tube drivers in Japan are seeking damages from the Osaka government for the “mental anguish” they suffered after the city reduced their bonuses, allegedly because the men refused to shave off their beards.

Two workers on the western port city’s underground network filed a suit seeking 2.2 million yen (HK$150,000) each for psychological damage and bonus reductions they claim they received after falling foul of grooming requirements the authorities introduced in 2012.

“Growing a beard is an individual freedom, just like choosing clothes or hairstyles,” the suit says, according to the Kyodo News. “The city’s grooming standards violate this freedom, which is guaranteed by the constitution.”

Both men had worn beards for more than a decade when the city introduced new standards of appearance for employees that banned beards and required women to wear makeup at work.

The code – devised by the then mayor, the right-wing populist Toru Hashimoto – also included a crackdown on tattoos. Hashimoto, a former lawyer, ordered a survey of tattoo ownership among more than 30,000 Osaka city employees after complaints that a welfare officer had intimidated children by showing off his inkwork.

Tattoos are traditionally associated in Japan with membership of a crime syndicate, but they are gaining popularity among younger people as a fashion statement rather than as an indicator of gang membership.

Six workers who refused to take part in the survey – citing their right to privacy – were reprimanded, while Hashimoto suggested that city employees with tattoos should either have them removed or find work in the private sector.

The tube drivers, both in their 50s, claim they received poor marks on their performance evaluations because they refused to shave off their beards, and had their bonuses reduced as a result.

“I have never neglected to groom my beard and never received complaints from passengers about it,” one of the drivers told reporters, according to Kyodo. “I can’t accept being told that I am dishevelled just because I have a beard.”

Hashimoto’s successor as mayor, Hirofumi Yoshimura, reportedly denied the grooming guidelines were excessive, and said they were meant to make passengers’ underground journeys “as pleasant as possible”.