• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jack Neo explains why it's more profitable to do product placement ads than proper money making movie, he no talent for it.

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
jn 1

Jack Neo Says It’s “Really Difficult” To Make Money From Movies, Explains Why His Films Are Filled With Product Placements​

• Lee Wei Lin
BY LEE WEI LIN
11 FEB 2022 10:15
The 62-year-old director, who is the guest on this week’s Hear U Out, wants everyone to know that moviemaking isn't as lucrative as many assume it to be.
2-min read

jn 1

Jack Neo, 67, is one of Singapore’s most prominent filmmakers, but public opinion on his movies is often polarised, to say the least.

One thing everyone can agree on is that his films are filled with product placements, which has led some to complain that his movies are just feature-length commercials.
Among his most famous works are 1998’s Money No Enough, 2002’s I Not Stupid, along with the hugely popular Ah Boys To Men (ABTM) franchise.
Jack shared on this week’s episode of Hear U Out that contrary to popular belief, moviemaking isn’t the cash cow people assume it to be.
“Movies are the most difficult to make (…) I never expected that [Money No Enough] would do so well… but I didn’t really earn a lot from it. I earned the basic amount, but we didn’t get any bonuses.”

• 1/2

jn 2

Jack on set of his latest movie, Ah Girls Go Army
    "I’ve always had the same problem — we don’t think too much [before making a movie],” the director recounted. “At that time, I just told the people in my talent agency that we should make a movie regardless of how it does in the box office. We were so happy to see our faces on the big screen and we weren’t calculative over anything else.”
    Sharing that he found it challenging to secure funding when he first started making movies, Jack added that things only got better after he proved himself in the box office with his first few films.
    ABTM was a huge production —MINDEF supported us so guns, cannons and the like were from them,” he continued. “It was the 45th anniversary of National Service (NS) so MINDEF approached me to turn a YouTube [documentary] named Every Singaporean Son into a movie. I told them that it would be difficult to edit a movie based on the footage they had, and suggested that we produce it from scratch.”

• 2/2

jn 3

ABTM 1 & 2 were about the army, while Frogmen was about the navy
    Jack mused, “I told them that I would get the funding but they had to provide the equipment (…) I was in the army for six years so I have a pretty good understanding of how things work in there, and I believe that they also trusted me because of my experience.”
    Jack signed on with the army at the age of 17 and once served as the platoon commander of the 1st Battalion Singapore Infantry Regiment's Charlie Company at Guillemard Camp before transferring to the Music & Drama Company. He left the army in 1986 as a lieutenant.
    Even with MINDEF’s backing, making ABTM wasn’t a walk in the park as Jack had to work with a limited budget.

The first and second installments in ABTM were shot with a S$1.5mil budget each, which Jack said was “very little”, and ABTM 3: Frogmen proved more challenging as it was “even more complex” to make.
    “Honestly, it’s really difficult to make money from movies,” he said. “If you spend S$1mil on production, you need S$3mil to break even, and you only start earning from that point onwards. That’s why the chances of making money from movies is very low, and that’s why many productions are supported by the government.”
    “That’s why we also tend to have more product placements. Where else would the production budget come from if not from sponsors? They’re the ones that balance things out, or we’d never be able to make [movies].”
    Catch the rest of Jack's interview on Hear U Out on meWATCH. Click here to watch Part 1 and here to watch Part 2.

Filloz

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think he pay much rent for the use of army premises, facilities and tanks right? Even during my ICT years ago, my unit paid for us to go watch his Chinese army movies in cinema.

With so much support for his productions, he should be grateful

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
It’s been 5.5 months since I left and the malicious dogs cottonmouth aka glockman aka Jeremy Quek as per hint by jw5 (and sweetiepie etc) are allowed by Leongsam to smear and insult me slut whore mistress with no consequence. I have to inform Leongsam to delete the posts and sometimes to no avail and i am sick of it. So Leongsam did not follow his deal to get his moderators to remove posts speaking ill of me so here I am carrying out my vow to spam the forum if cottonmouth is allowed to spam in my threads without consequence - which cottonmouth obviously did and was allowed - and he has been allowed in this 5.5 months no need follow his agreement to stop insulting me and continued to smear and insult me whore just yesterday and insulted me have std one day before that and everyday with no consequence.

Another thing to highlight is I realised after I left forum that @strawberry = @kaninabuchaojibye and I already know @nightsafari = @kaninabuchaojibye i.e despicable nightsafari is the strawberry that started the thread Who is Ginfreely sugar daddy and then keep upping it on the pretext of asking about strawberry. No wonder so pretentious always pretending to like my Hokkien threads while stabbing me non stop.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Liddat then there should be women in bras and panties in his movies for product placement of lingerie.