• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How to improve spoken english?

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway i have been reading very intensively all the while seem like 10 years ago, but it just seen that my english just cant improve. Maybe there is something wrong with my reading techniques.

Anyway i realised that whenever i read any book or magazine,
1) I can roughly understand what the book is about but not in very detailed.
2) If lets say i have already finished page 50, and if i happened to go back to page 50 again after a day, i will not even realised it that i have actually gone through that the day before.
3) I cant seems to be able to really rmb the storyline after 1 week.
4) My reading speed is superb, i just skim through the books or any website and i will be able to understand it temporary. I don't know whether is this a skill or maybe is just laziness that make my english so sucky.

Reading and understanding english is one thing while improving spoken english is quite another. Just by reading is not good enough, to improve your oral english proficiency I believe you need practice, lots of pratice. And to do that is to speak, communicate in english with friends, foes or acquaintances, whoever speaks english that comes along. Just get the fluency going and with time, you should be there. Nonetheless, stay away from other tongues unless you think you have the feat to do multilingual.

Cheers.:biggrin:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
3 tips
2) Good regular English conversation and try talking at a slower pace
3) Talk with confidence even though you may stutter here and there.
After 1 month, your spoken English will improve tremendously.
Add 4th: Get a gf who's fluent in english. After 1 month, you know whether long hair dictionary works for you or not.:p:biggrin:

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal

I had the same problem way back until I met this English gentleman who suggested that I slow down my speech. It was then that I realised the typical Singaporeon tend to fire off in machine gun-like sentences. I am not going to venture into the reasons why this is so. But anyway, slowing down works for me just fine.

rapid-fire unclear speech with poor enunciation - thats the way uneducated speak, and most sinkees are not properly educated despite MOE's claim 2b the best edu system in the world !

compare BBC reporters accent to cockney football hooligans, that girl in little britain 'yeah but no but yeah but no but' ... british ah lian ...

not only english, sinkees mandarin also sounds like shit ... heard this schoolboy said 'ni bu yao jiang wo jiang' (ie. pls don't say that its I who said that) ... what the hell ? PRCs will laugh u out of town !

pathetic sinkees - your govt never educate u properly yet u support this govt 100% :confused: ... ok, 66.6% ...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's not how fast you speak. Listen to the oratories of Margaret Thatcher or Ronald Reagan at their primes. It's "bullet by bullet" as slow as a single-shot musket. But every "bullet" on course and on target.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
pathetic sinkees - your govt never educate u properly yet u support this govt 100% :confused: ... ok, 66.6% ...

Why this emotional outburst in your last statement? myjohnson was just sharing. You had good points earlier but went into self destruct mode at the end.

When you say "your govt", are you implying to us that you are a non-Singaporean?

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why this emotional outburst in your last statement? myjohnson was just sharing. You had good points earlier but went into self destruct mode at the end.

When you say "your govt", are you implying to us that you are a non-Singaporean?

Bro Sc
I don't think she meant anything disrespectful as construed. She was just voicing her frustration of the fact that most of us had been shortchanged with regard to our education in the English language as well as our Chinese mother tongue and not knowing it. Whereas the Class 1 elite and their progeny had theirs polished in foreign countries where English is the native tongue, what other outcome could there be but what an American woman described our spoken English sounds like? "Charming." Charming , I suppose as in a child's attempt to articulate itself to an adult.

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Sc
I don't think she meant anything disrespectful as construed. She was just voicing her frustration of the fact that most of us had been shortchanged with regard to our education in the English language as well as our Chinese mother tongue and not knowing it. Whereas the Class 1 elite and their progeny had theirs polished in foreign countries where English is the native tongue, what other outcome could there be but what an American woman described our spoken English sounds like? "Charming." Charming , I suppose as in a child's attempt to articulate itself to an adult.

Westerners are rather panderous and have a false sense of superiority. Tell the American woman that her good speech and ability to deceive banks into giving them higher credit than what they deserve had only serve to worsen the financial crisis.