• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HDB & housing for the masses

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This calligraphy was displayed at the HDB Hub in front of the Coffee Bean café.

PanShou.jpg

The verse therein is:

安得廣廈千萬間
大庇天下寒士俱歡顏
風雨不動安如山

The verse was part of a much longer poem composed by Tang Dynasty poet, Du Fu (杜甫) about 1300 years ago, after his house was destroyed by heavy storm.

Then, the author was “wondering who and how to build homes, that would withstand rains and storms, for the poor masses in order to bring them joys”.

This piece of calligraphic work, however, was written by renowned local artist, the late Pan Shou (潘受) in 1988.

There was no mention of why Pan Shou wrote this and how it ended up with HDB. But basing on the contents, the year that it was written, and the fact that it is housed at HDB Hub, I would speculate that he was lauding the great achievement of HDB’s Home Ownership Scheme - building cheap public housing for the masses during our early nationhood.

HDB must have been very proud of its past achievements thus displaying it prominently to the public. But in today’s context, is it still something to crow about?

In the 1970s, our parents can buy a 3-room HDB flats for just $7,000. When I bought my 5-room flat in 1988, it was $80,000 and I managed to pay off the loan in 5 years. At one time, HDB only builds 4- and 5-room flats because no one wants a 3-room flat anymore. This is progress!

Unfortunately, HDB flats today are no longer for the poor masses. HDB is pricing new 5-room BTO flats in excess of $ 400K with some even in the $600K to $700K range. Any wonder why we are seeing goons buying resale flats for close to $1 m?

Today, a family needs two salaries to service the loan in their entire working life. You were told to buy a smaller flats such as 2- or 3-room. This is no longer progress. We are moving backward.

The current government has no solution to the housing problems. All the cooling measures to rein in the runaway housing prices are not working.

The asset enhancement programme so proudly boasted by GCT is becoming a overbearing burden to our children. Sadly, the second and third generation leaders of this country are not leading us forward but the other way round.

If Pan Shou is still alive, would he request the return of the work?

Jimmy1978

Alfrescian
Loyal
'Today, a family needs two salaries to service the loan in their entire working life' - Couldn't have said it better myself bro. Went to the dbs home loan site to see how much loan we're eligible for…35 years tenure = $400k. That's shocking..This country too expensive to live in..

Airforce

'Today, a family needs two salaries to service the loan in their entire working life' - Couldn't have said it better myself bro. Went to the dbs home loan site to see how much loan we're eligible for…35 years tenure = $400k. That's shocking..This country too expensive to live in..

The sad truth is that Singaporeans are being force fed to accept this as a norm. More young men and women will stay single.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Several decades ago it was a lot more common to have families with one breadwinner and a homemaker.
The push for increased productivity and the increased difficulty to make ends meet has made it a lot more common for households to have 2 breadwinners.
The unintended consequences of this of course has been to make inflation rise faster, making housing even more expensive since with 2 breadwinners families were able to afford higher prices whereas supply has not been able to match supply. Employers also don't have to pay as much since they only have to pay for half the household income. And of course, the falling birthrates.

orbin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you cunnilaubu for starting this thread as a reminder to the people of the nation how far this PAP government had caused this country to regress while their salary and benefits progressed.

TwitSeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
that day news said more rental flats would be built

and i thought last time they encouraged people to own flats

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Talking about MBT....Makes me TULAN ...Now he enjoy life....

One old man once spoke very highly of shorty MBT. Made comparison with CST's academic credentials. End of the day, MBT failed miserably. Being a president scholar means noting in the real world.