• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good for nothing general implement "bermudas policy" for sissy NS men

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
General steps into his new role
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong says half of the PAP's 24 new candidates can be 'more than backbenchers'. In a six-part series starting today, Li Xueying puts the spotlight on one potential face on the frontbench: Brigadier-General (NS) Tan Chuan-Jin
Brigadier-General (NS) Tan Chuan-Jin chose the floating platform in Marina Bay as the location for his photo session, explaining that the stage holds many fond memories of the time he organised the National Day Parade in 2009. -- ST PHOTO: STEPHANIE YEOW
ST_IMAGES_XYTAN21.jpg

BETWEEN 2001 and 2002, Brigadier-General (NS) Tan Chuan-Jin made more than 600 young men very happy.

The then-Commanding Officer of the Third Guards battalion broke from the norm and allowed his NSmen to book in and out of camp on weekends wearing bermudas and sandals.

Until he came along, they had to don trousers and shoes, to uphold the military's image.

The move was a small gesture of trust, but it won him the affection and loyalty of his soldiers, one of them tells The Straits Times.

Asked about it, BG Tan says simply: 'Singapore's so hot. So long as they maintain a reasonable standard of neatness, I didn't want them to waste time on their precious weekends by going to a nearby shopping centre's toilet just to change into something more comfortable.'

The decision was based on his belief that given the freedom, his men would live up to the trust by dressing neatly.

They did.

No monopoly on wisdom

THE 'bermudas policy' emerges from a certain bent in the 42-year-old's philosophy - one that marries pragmatism with the progressive, embraces consultation, and is rooted in a deep desire to 'rally' all Singaporeans to the cause of Singapore, 'whether they vote for the PAP or the Workers' Party'.

He defies the stereotypes of an unbending, rules-bound military man. His erect bearing notwithstanding, he eschews starched rigidity in rules and mindsets, and a top-down leadership style.

Brows furrowed, he worries about a certain level of 'negativity' and 'angst' in some segments of public discourse in Singapore; he is concerned about how some feel disenfranchised.

He is loath to ascribe the rising decibel level solely to the emergence of the Internet and wonders aloud: 'Was it a voice that was already there but not quite heard because the medium wasn't available?

'I think it's a combination of both.'

While noting that the country's survival continues to be the biggest challenge for the fourth-generation leadership, he believes that more can be done to redress such a climate.

One way he suggests is for Singapore's leaders to engage the citizens more.

'Do we sufficiently give regard to voices out there?' he muses. 'Whether people feel a sense of trust, whether they feel their views are respected, I think that is important.

'It doesn't mean we agree to everything but it's how we regard these views, even if it may be a conflicting perspective or it comes from, say, the opposition or an active blogger. If they make sense, how do we deal with it, even if we disagree?

'That's something I'd like to see how I can do, to engage better.'

He plans to put it into motion at the Kampong Ubi-Kembangan ward in Marine Parade GRC where he is slated to be fielded.

Critics who feel not enough is done to help the needy can expect a call from him. He says: 'I'd be quite keen to engage them and say, look, I have in this particular precinct this group of people, and if you're keen, why don't you come take a look, and tell me where you think are the gaps, and play a role.'

The approach can be adopted as well for policymaking on the national level, he suggests. Civil servants could work with voluntary welfare organisations and other agencies that are clued in to people's concerns.

But at some point, a line has to be drawn, says the general, making it plain that Singapore cannot be ruled by referendum.

Sceptics may worry that more consultation means less efficient governance.

Not necessarily so, he responds.

'Sometimes, less is more, or even slow is fast. Efficiency doesn't always mean effectiveness.'

Recalling the Singapore humanitarian effort he led in Meulaboh in Aceh after it was struck by the 2004 tsunami, he says: 'You can go there, say, okay, let's dish out all the aid, rapidly, very efficiently, but you might have, in the quest for efficiency, damaged the confidence-building partnership with your neighbours.'

On the other hand, 'if you take a bit longer, allow more views to come onboard, it may not have been as efficient, but it might be a lot more effective because there's so much more buy-in'.

He believes the approach will improve 'the overall tone of governance'.

For this reason, he is reluctant to dismiss opposing views - whether held by civil activists, the opposition or ordinary Singaporeans - as 'fringe' views.

With a laugh, he notes: 'Philosopher greats who shaped thinking are the minority'.

Then, to underline his commitment to collective effort, he says: 'I don't think we (the PAP) have a monopoly on wisdom'.

Like Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam, BG Tan believes 'a strong opposition with diverse voices is important', in keeping the PAP on its toes.

Drill down to his fundamental principles, and one word pops up regularly: respect - even for those who think differently from oneself.

Looking ahead, juggling Singaporeans' higher expectations even as the Government contends with trade-offs between different needs, would be its biggest internal challenge, he reckons.

Meanwhile, on the external front, Singapore needs to ensure it maintains its competitive edge amid the rise of the China juggernaut.

Singapore cannot rest on its laurels, he says. 'It can be scary if Singaporeans think, don't worry, we have a multiracial state of affairs, economic progress is a given, fantastic, let's move on.'

No rivalry - just coffee, Coronas and conversation

WITH an election still to be fought, it is premature to talk about BG Tan's future role, but there is little doubt that expectations are high.

Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong had identified him as a potential member of the fourth-generation leadership.

Any pressure?

No, he says, having overcome his 'big struggle' for a year when the PAP approached him in 2008 to join politics.

'I'm quite zen about it,' he says.

'If I'm not suitable, I can be dropped. And if I realise I don't have the acumen for it, I should not continue.'

He, however, harbours one worry: that he does not 'lose myself' in the process. Here is where he is counting on his wife, a homemaker, to keep him true to himself. They have two children, aged 13 and nine.

With talk of the next Prime Minister emerging from the new group, an inevitable topic is whether there is any unspoken rivalry among the high-fliers for the top post.

With a wry grimace, he says: 'I don't pursue it and I don't want to get caught up in competing.'

Instead, he speaks of building 'friendship and trust' among the new candidates, for it will be teamwork that keeps them going in the long journey ahead.

He and a few from the Class of 2011 have already taken the first steps.

Over coffee and Corona beer, they would discuss their thoughts on policies and politics, share tips from such experiences as the party's media introduction of its new faces and the use of social media as a tool to reach out to people.

Between these moments of camaraderie and block visits, Meet-the-People sessions and constituency events, there is little time for his hobbies: photography and movies (the action flick Sucker Punch may have to wait).

He is, however, getting accustomed to his new public life - and public scrutiny.

For the photo session for this interview, he chooses the floating platform in Marina Bay. The stage holds many fond memories of the time in 2009 when he organised the National Day Parade.

Smile, urged The Straits Times Deputy Picture Editor Stephanie Yeow. Put your foot there. Bend.

Awkward at first, he slowly segues more comfortably into the poses.

A larger stage awaits.

[email protected]

Name: Tan Chuan-Jin

Educational background

Master's in public management from the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy

Master's in defence studies from King's College London

BSc (Economics) from London School of Economics

Trained in Britain's Royal Military Academy Sandhurst

Career highlights

Commander of Army Training and Doctrine Command in Singapore Armed Forces (SAF)

Led the SAF's relief effort in Meulaboh, Aceh, after the Boxing Day tsunami in 2004

Organised Singapore's National Day Parade in 2009

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. i don't know what to say leh!
2. honest, that's all, bermudas and sandals.
3. nothing on real warfare or what.
4. excellent example of some toy paper soldier.

williamsF1

Alfrescian
Loyal
talking cock, my time during NS, my unit also book-in book-out in bermudas & slippers la... he's not the 1st to give the prvilege la. they make it big hoo-haa, only bcos he's scholar, not farmer.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If he had lobbied for a change in the no 3 uniform to light shirt and bermudas, then I might find it in my heart to praise him. For this, I think he's just copping out. Just look at Chan Chun Sing and you will see the result of the lack of proper regimentation and discipline since the early 1980s.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The bottomline remains: if you want to be regarded as a real general, go fight a real war! "Bermudas policy"????!!!! What a laugh!:rolleyes:

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
He makes a good speech. But time has all taught us, its actions that matter. Because what you do screams so loud that I can't hear what the fuck you are saying??? So don't go spouting honeyed crap to us while drawing your scholar pay for doing essentially jackshit in your entire career. You know that your future is essentially a slamdunk as long as you do as you are told. Don't give us crap about thinking about it for a year. While you are drawing your high pay, make sure you ask yourself in the mirror every morning whether you are doing your kids proud!

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gosh, boasting on his achievement in doing the 'extraordinary' by allowing NSMEN to book in and out wearing Bermudas and sandals. This is nothing worth mentioning as it is neither a bread and butter issue concerning the lives of the people. I must really salute to people like him who without sense of shame, brought to media's attention an insignificant thing to glorify his competencies and leadership guts. Obviously a very forceful struggle and attempt to make out something he lacks. I pray hard he does not come to my GRC.

jw5

Loyal
Gosh, boasting on his achievement in doing the 'extraordinary' by allowing NSMEN to book in and out wearing Bermudas and sandals. This is nothing worth mentioning as it is neither a bread and butter issue concerning the lives of the people. I must really salute to people like him who without sense of shame, brought to media's attention an insignificant thing to glorify his competencies and leadership guts. Obviously a very forceful struggle and attempt to make out something he lacks. I pray hard he does not come to my GRC.

He will be in marine parade grc with wooden and tin tin. :wink:

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
He will be in marine parade grc with wooden and tin tin. :wink:

heng ah....! Tin Tin and this guy in Marine Parade GRC riding on GCT's influence and support hoping to take the MP seat effortlessly. If Marine Parade residents are in right frame of mind, they should know what to do.