• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Foreigners and Employers - a true example

MGY_P65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

I've been reading the news about the importance of foreigners and how they create good jobs for local citizens. I'm sceptical as I work in a large branch of a multinational in Singapore and Singaporeans are the minority. Appended below is an email on the distribution of employees in the Singapore office. As you can read, I'm the only local senior manager in the office and we have many employees on employment passes which is very easily obtained.

Since we know that employers want the fastest and most flexible labour market which Singapore provides, we need policy and legislation that gives priority to the Singapore citizen. It is vital that we do this or more locals will be displaced with so many people wanting to relocate to Singapore from neighbouring countries. I've many employees from India and Philippines who would make a decision to relocate in a day to Singapore. Thus, this proves that Singapore is attractive to these people and validates why corporations won't just close and move elsewhere.
In my opinion, the number of Singaporeans as a ration to total employees in any most companies is probably at one-third as per the company I work for.

Have fun reading and analyzing. For the purpose of confidentiality and anoynimity, I've blackened out the names of individuals and email addresses in the document below.

=====================================================

Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:02 AM
To:
Cc:
Subject: RE: Hiring

All,
I’d like to highlight 1 potential challenge we might face in employing foreigners in Sgp & hope you can
factor this into consideration in your staffing decisions.

Tho’ there isn’t any published quota, it is v. obvious that certain criteria & guideline is used by our
immigration dept. in approving EP for an org. At the moment, we have 34 hires in Sgp. Breakdown is as
follows :

Citizens (14)

PRs (8)

EPs (12)

Potential Hires/Secondees on EPs (2 + 6)
Applications under processing -
To Apply -

With several sr mgt openings (eg. Director of Sales, Director of BD, CM for Sgp & Msia – not sure
nationality of candidate filling role), this will possibly add a strain on our existing quota. The fact that
xxx is not paying much corp tax will compound the risks we may face.

Rgds,

Last edited: