• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do you really want a clueless, egoistic Sentosa Cove resident to be your President?

sharingan83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Do you really want a clueless, egoistic Sentosa Cove resident to be your Presiden

Both TCB and TKL are garingly clueless, campaigning on issues that aren't under the purview or power of the President, now racing to show the public who has distanced themselves further away from their PAP pasts and who's more daringly anti-PAP now. They forget, the President cannot debate in Parliament. The President makes no laws or policies. Parliament makes the laws and the Cabinet makes the policies. Questioning and debating with the Government, proposing alternative laws and policies, is the Opposition's job, not the President's.

OTC understood that and stuck to his constitutional role, the only controversy he created was the questioning of the reserves. That was rightfully constitutional too, but stonewalled by a then still very powerful and fearsome LKY, not in the eyes of OTC but in the eyes and minds of the public. There was some vocal support for OTC and displeasure against LKY then, but not politically sufficient for OTC to pursue the cause.

TT is a contemporary of OTC. He'll have more or less the same understanding as OTC. Question now is, will he be as independent as he proclaims to be? Note that the operative word here is independent, not anti-PAP and not even anti-government, that should be the stand of the President. I think he will, even though it's obvious that even without official endorsement, he's the candidate PAP sent for. Because without someone of his stature, the presidency may fall into clueless wannabes like TCB or TKL. And I think he can, as LHL is much less formidable than LKY. And I think LHL doesn't mind that too. As long as TT acts fairly and squarely within constitution, LHL would accept it law-by-law, as LHL is also a much fairer man than LKY. It's a much more attractive prospect than to have a clueless president interfering and disrupting government every other day anyway.

Therefore, I'll be voting for TT, not for PAP but for the greater good and dignity of the country.

I just don't understand why anyone who is rational would vote TT as President? Aren't the conflicts of interests obvious? If he becomes President, he essentially has to audit HIS work during his time at GIC?

See this snippet from the Singapore Institute of Directors

According to the Singapore Institute of Directors (SID), an Independent Director is one "who has no relationship with the company... that could interfere, or be reasonably perceived to interfere, with the... director's independent business judgement with a view to the best interests of the company". An example the SID gives of such a relationship which does interfere, and qualifies the director non-independent, is that he or she must not have been employed by the company for the last 3yrs (http://www.sid.org.sg/main/good_practise_doc/good_practiceSGPNo72007).