• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cyclist Emily Bridges

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

Excluded trans cyclist Emily Bridges says she meets criteria to compete

• Bridges ‘just wants to race competitively again’
  • Rider was unable to take part in national omnium event
Emily Bridges says she has been ‘relentlessly harassed and demonised’ by the media.

Sean Ingle
@seaningle
Fri 1 Apr 2022 18.31 BST

The trans woman cyclist Emily Bridges has broken her silence to attack cycling’s governing body, the UCI, and the media after she was excluded from the women’s section of the British National Omnium Championships on Saturday.
The 21-year-old, who set a national junior men’s record over 25 miles in 2018, had been due to compete against several British Olympians, including Dame Laura Kenny, in her first race in the women’s category.

The cyclist Emily Bridges.
However on Wednesday night the UCI ruled Bridges was ineligible as she was still registered as a male cyclist. Its decision came after several riders held talks about boycotting the event in protest as they felt Bridges had an unfair advantage.

In a statement published on Friday, Bridges insisted that she had been in contact with British Cycling and the UCI for the last six months – and was therefore surprised she had been barred.
“I have provided both British Cycling and the UCI with medical evidence that I meet the eligibility criteria for transgender female cyclists, including that my testosterone limit has been far below the limit prescribed by the regulations for the last 12 months,” Bridges said. “Despite the public announcement, I still have little clarity around their finding of my ineligibility under their regulations.

“I am an athlete, and I just want to race competitively again. No one should have to choose between being who they are, and participating in the sport that they love.”
Bridges also claimed that she had been “relentlessly harassed and demonised” by the media, who she said had written stories about her to boost their web traffic.

“They attack anything that isn’t the norm and print whatever is most likely to result in the highest engagement for their articles, and bring in advertising,” she added.
“This is without care for the wellbeing of individuals or marginalised groups, and others are left to pick up the pieces due to their actions. My privacy has been totally violated over speculation around my eligibility and fairness to compete.”

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
Transgender cyclist Emily Bridges 'harassed and demonised' after being told she's ineligible to race
www.itv.com
Screen_Shot_2022-03-31_at_09.03.55.png
Transgender cyclist Emily Bridges says she has been "harassed and demonised" after British Cycling declared her ineligible to race at this weekend's British National Omnium Championships.
The 21-year-old, from Cwmbran in south Wales, had initially been allowed to compete in the women's event under British Cyling's transgender and non-binary participation policy.
However, the governing body has since been informed by the Union Cycliste Internationale that Bridges is not eligible to participate.
In a statement posted on Twitter by her mother, Bridges explains how she has been "relentlessly harassed and demonised by those who have a specific agenda to push."
The Welsh cyclist goes on to explain how "no one should have to choose between being who they are, and participating in the sport that they love."
"My testosterone level has been far below the limit."
Bridges wrote: "For the last six months, I have been in contact with British Cycling and the UCI over the eligibility criteria I would need to meet as a transgender woman in order to race in the female category.
"In that time, I have provided both British Cycling and UCI with medical evidence that I meet the eligibility criteria for transgender female cyclists, including that my testosterone level has been far below the limit prescribed by the Regulations for the last 12 months."
Bridges goes on to explain how she was informed two days before competing that she was not eligible.
"Despite the public announcement, I still have little clarity around their finding of my ineligibility under their regulations."
38303ae3-aa0b-4df4-bd39-b152781d659a
The Welsh cyclist opened up about coming out as transgender back in 2020.
Bridges - winner of the men's points race at the British Universities' championships in Glasgow in February - began hormone therapy last year.
British Cycling's regulations, updated in January this year, require riders to have had testosterone levels below five nanomoles per litre for a 12-month period prior to competition.
In her statement, she goes on to write: "I am an athlete, and I just want to race competitively again."
"I’ve had to deactivate my social media to prevent the targeted abuse I am receiving, and block websites to stop seeing them. This is despite the fact I have not yet raced in the female category.
"I have been judged despite a total lack of evidence against me, purely because I am trans."
She concluded: "I am in contact with British Cycling and UCI requesting clarity around my alleged ineligibility, and I hope that they will reconsider their decision in line with the Regulations.
"Thank you to everyone who has supported me through this, your messages have meant the world this past 10 days."