• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Covid Restrictions Weed Out Loser Hawkers! Chee Cheong Fun Hawker Sells 800 Portions A Day! Bizness Huat Until Cannot Cope! No Delivery App Needed!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE - It is not uncommon for restaurant chefs to start their own business. But those who trade their chef whites for a hawker's apron have been few and far between.

Chefs known to have made the switch include former Les Amis sous chef Xavier Neo, who now runs the Hokkien Man Hokkien Mee stall in Toa Payoh.

In the last few months, however, more restaurant chefs have set up hawker stalls - prodded by the pandemic pummelling the food-and-beverage industry.

Among them is former Shang Palace dim sum chef Kerene Cheng, who has been selling Hong Kong-style cheong fun at an industrial park canteen in Ang Mo Kio since April. Customers reportedly queued for up to two hours for her food before the current dine-in ban.

Since then, at least four other former restaurant chefs have also started hawker stalls.

1627796376917.png

Chef Wei HK Cheong Fun

Where: 01-633, Block 209 New Upper Changi Road

Open: 7am to 9pm daily

Chee cheong fun, or steamed rice rolls, have been Thoo Chang Wei's favourite food since childhood. And it had always been his ambition to make a living selling it.

That was why he left school at the age of 18 to work at Min Kok restaurant in his home town of Seremban in Malaysia.

Starting as a kitchen helper, he mastered the dish so well that he was soon running the cheong fun station by himself.

He came to Singapore in 2010 to join Peach Garden as a dim sum chef and worked at the chain's outlets in OCBC Centre, Hotel Miramar and Thomson Plaza.

The 36-year-old permanent resident's dream to be his own boss came true when he opened a stall at a coffee shop in Bedok Town Centre earlier this month.

He sells Hong Kong-style cheong fun that is prepared on the spot, with fillings like char siew ($4), mushrooms ($4) and prawns ($5).

It was the pandemic that pushed him to start his own business.

"Last year, the restaurant was open only half the week, so I had time to think about what I wanted to do next," he recalls, adding that he started looking for a location at the beginning of this year.

Thoo, who is married with two children aged five and three, does the cooking himself. He has not yet taken a day off, even though he has two full-time and four part-time workers.

His hours are also longer - "by about 50 per cent" - than at his last job. But his income has also jumped by the same percentage - thanks to a steady "queue from 7am to 8pm", he chirps.

In fact, his business has improved after the dine-in ban as more people learnt about his stall.

He now sells about 800 portions of cheong fun for takeaway a day, compared with 700 two weeks ago. He does not offer delivery as he can barely cope.

1627796385243.png

Where: 01-71, Beo Crescent Market & Food Centre, 38A Beo Crescent
Open: 10am to 8pm daily

When the revenue of Taiwanese chain Din Tai Fung took a dive during the circuit breaker last year, Wang Jingjun, who was working as a chef there, decided to call it a day.

He went to work for a friend who owns a Northern Chinese eatery. In May this year, he started his own stall selling fried rice in Beo Crescent.

On the menu are dishes like pork chop fried rice and shrimp fried rice ($6.50), as well as an abalone fried rice ($10). Wang also offers spicy versions of the dishes.

Armed with a chef's diploma from China, the Shandong native came here in 2003 at the age of 26 to work at Soup Restaurant, where he remained for seven years.

But Wang, 44, who is now a Singapore citizen and married with three children aged 18, nine and seven, says it is not in his nature to be a salaried worker.

"I like the freedom of doing what I want and it gives me a sense of achievement," he says.

After Soup Restaurant, he started a stall selling claypot rice, but gave it up two years later because of health problems.

After he recovered, he worked in restaurants under the TungLok and Paradise groups. He was also with Shang Palace and The Line at Shangri-La hotel before joining Din Tai Fung for about a year.

He says his stall's offerings are not rip-offs of Din Tai Fung's, where fried rice is one of the popular dishes. Instead, his menu is culled from his own experiences.

"Fried rice is a very common dish," he points out. "The spicy flavours, for example, came from what I learnt at Shang Palace."

His business has not been affected by the no-dining-in rule, he adds.

"Fried rice works well for takeaway. Even when dining in was allowed, I had many takeaway orders."

While he has signed up with delivery platforms, he has not used them because commissions go up to 30 per cent.

"I would then have to pass the costs to my customers, which I don't want to," he says

https://www.straitstimes.com/life/f...hawker-stalls-in-spore-amid-covid-19-pandemic

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
i take umbrage at the thread title, knn hundreds of hawkers are dying and giving up,
johnny boy, dont talk cock

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Only 2 hawkers survive....the other 2,000 died.

It's survival of the fittest. It's nothing but the best for sinkies. My residents and RC volunteers tell me that during this covid period, another hawker serf, the self-styled 'King of Fried Rice', has been expanding all over Singapore.

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's survival of the fittest. It's nothing but the best for sinkies. My residents and RC volunteers tell me that during this covid period, another hawker serf, the self-styled 'King of Fried Rice', has been expanding all over Singapore.

its another francising con-job, tried the one at tampines round market, can only finish half the plate, and i am a fucking pig

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
its another francising con-job, tried the one at tampines round market, can only finish half the plate, and i am a fucking pig

It just shows that even in a pandemic, hawker trade can thrive without the blame culture on the pandemic or high commissions on food delivery apps.