• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chiobu Say need 40k monthly to stay in SG

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE really is a dreadful place to live, isn’t it? Unless you can find $40,000 down the back of the sofa, every month, you’ll be reduced to the horrors of living in one of the most successful public housing projects in the world, travelling on one of the best public transport systems in the world and eating at some of the most affordable eateries in the world.

Honestly, it’s in these moments that I feel like I’m working for the Singapore government – I’m really not, I’m still getting flak for the SimplyGo columns – or at the very least, I must conform to working class stereotype and play Oliver Twist yet again in a bid to be heard among the Marie Antoinettes currently going viral on social media.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
The latest one is known as "Thatasianmama", who posted on TikTok that it takes up to $40K a month to raise a family "comfortably" in Singapore. She has a point. Give me $40k a month and I’ll have my family carried comfortably to the coffee shop on a golden chariot of Ikea pillows, just because I could. But her post went viral. As expected. Well done. Game recognises game, as middle-aged columnists say in an attempt to get down with the kids.

Of course the post went viral. Traditional media can often feel like a trawling exercise through social media, falling for the click-bait and reeling in one narcissistic post after another. On a macro level, this is happening everywhere, as traditional media outlets seek eyeballs without cataracts. But on a micro level, this routine says a bit about Singapore, too. We love to amplify these individual posts, making them bigger, but in the process, making us seem smaller.

Just because a random Australian tourist finds Singapore boring, for instance, it doesn’t mean his recent social media post deserves national coverage and another angst-ridden meltdown. He’s one Aussie backpacker. Have you seen those guys in Bali? Unless Singapore covets bearded men in flip flops and Bintang singlets shouting “Aussie, Aussie, Aussie” at a Kuta Beach sports bar, let it go.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

Battle lines between haves and have-nots​

The same could be said for ‘Thatasianmama’ and her belief that a family of three need up to $40,000 a month to clothe, feed, educate and entertain their kids in Singapore. Apparently, that figure was based on a lifestyle that doesn’t include looking at price tags, which will at least make the family a huge hit with SimplyGo advocates.

But the $40k figure also factors in a parenting choice to “say yes to the child's request for extra hobbies”, which is most laudable, but what are these extra hobbies? Yacht racing? South African diamond mining?

When I was a kid, I had to choose between a karate lesson or playing in goal for the local football team. Both cost £2 a week. My mother couldn’t afford both. In the end, we opted for the latter, which gave me a sports media career of sorts, but I lacked the self-defence skills to protect myself when I was mugged twice, so I applaud any parent who can say yes to a child’s extra hobby requests.

But I’ve done it already, haven’t I? I’ve played the Oliver Twist card early, reminding readers again of my poor upbringing and drawing those battle lines between the haves and the have-nots, which is perhaps what "Thatasianmama" wanted in the first place, to stoke the fires of inequality and get us all turning on each other in some Marxist hellscape.

It’s already happening, to a degree. On Facebook, Singaporeans are mostly irritated at the elitist, entitled undertones. On LinkedIn, international commenters are bravely raising their heads above the parapet to suggest that maybe, you know, the $40k figure is possibly not far off the mark when, you know, international schools, condos in desirable postcodes, cars and domestic helpers are factored in, you know, the bare necessities of human existence.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
72053bb0-c582-11ee-bf7b-a3977df1d735

Boss John, this wan Kym?

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
This type of fuck face is too old to be a sugar baby, but not old enough to claim for benefits. How the hell is she going to get $40k per month?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's true, 40k can live very comfortable , can match papigs life style tot almost
If she can bring back 40k a month in salary, she I think is good.

I only give 1.5k per month to my beau to stay in 2nd tier city in china. She wants 40k , can she spread he legs non stop for 30 nights ?

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
If she can bring back 40k a month in salary, she I think is good.

I only give 1.5k per month to my beau to stay in 2nd tier city in china. She wants 40k , can she spread he legs non stop for 30 nights ?
One night ish 1.5k...