• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

'Cheryl's riddle': Minister of Education Heng Swee Keat mandates that rote learning i

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
'Cheryl's riddle': Minister of Education Heng Swee Keat mandates that rote learning is outdated strategy for success in Primary School
lightasacloud said:
Thread Source (A1): Pri 5 question... can you solve this?
I'm still scratching my head over this....
trick-question.jpg

This logic was shared by a MediaCorp Channel 8 presenter Kenneth (江坚文) on Facebook on Saturday 11 Apr.
In his Facebook post he said “This question causes a debate with my wife …. and its a P5 question. #trickquestion”
It is not known whether this is really a Primary 5 question or if it came from Singapore, but more importantly, can you solve the question?
11155125_385751114937109_7956840234831081160_o.jpg

Answer-2.jpg

Answer-3.jpg

As seen on http://mothership.sg/2015/04/heres-...-viral-on-facebook-that-will-melt-your-brain/
Answer is July 16th.
Reason:
1) Ignore "I DN when Cheryl's BD is"(A) and "@1st I DN when C's birthday is.."(B)": these are rhetoric that basically state the obvious.
2) Assume that A & B are honest, responsible people and everything that they say is true:
So for A to be so sure that B does not know, The correct month CANNOT be May/June since 19/5 and 18/6 are UNIQUE dates. So without mentioning the month, A implied to B that only July & August are valid possibilities (months WITHOUT any unique date possibilities).
The fact that B then was suddenly sure about the birth date revealed to A that between July & August, the date was a unique one (to July & Aug that is): i.e. 14th of July and August were NOT valid options.
A was then fortuitously able to solve the riddle because having been originally told by Cheryl her birthday month, July 16th was the obvious result since 14th July was eliminated as a/m.

Perhaps this question was inspired by the manner in which the late Ms Kwa Geok Choo possibly tested her husband, the late Mr Lee Kwan Yew, 1st PM of Singapore: his suitability as partner only validated by his ability to solve such riddles posed.

In any case, I guess this question gives me reassurance that Education Minister is putting some effort to make students think rather than memorising for exams and allows other pathways to success besides the traditionally held idea that route learning is the only path to a good job.

PS: I admit that I also would have failed this question, answer description here inspired by perusing: http://forums.sgclub.com/singapore/when_cheryls_birthday_529441.html#post5078322