• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bukit Merah's Chicken Problem...

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal

Roosters In Bukit Merah Crow Before Dawn, Residents Get Woken Up By Them Daily​

LATEST NEWS
Apparently, some people in the area have been feeding the chickens.
By Valerie Yuam - 14 May 2023, 10:52 am

Residents In Bukit Merah Complain About Roosters Crowing Before Dawn​

Roosters and chickens are not uncommon sights in Singapore. However, at an estate in Bukit Merah, roosters have very much made their presence known.
In recent months, these fowls have been crowing before dawn and waking residents up before they are supposed to.
Unable to put up with the disturbance from these “free alarm clocks”, the affected residents have lodged a complaint to the town council.

Roosters and chickens increased in numbers, disturbs Bukit Merah residents​

Per Shin Min Daily News, the crowing has been happening in the vicinity of Block 139 Jalan Bukit Merah.
Every morning, the roosters would crow and wake residents up before they intend to.

Residents noted that there were only a few wild chickens in the area at first. But recently, their population seems to have increased to over 10.
A resident, Mr Zhao (all names transliterated from Chinese), 48, told Shin Min Daily News that one particular rooster would crow from 3am to 6am. As he recently went for surgery, he is unable to have the rest he needs thanks to this rooster.

“In the last two or three months, there have been many chickens here. I don’t know where they came from,” he said.
“There is one rooster that flies on top of a tree and crows in the evenings and early mornings, I’m about to have a breakdown. I’ve told the town council, but nothing has been done yet.”
roosters-bukit-merah-1.png

Source: Shin Min Daily News
Mr Zhao also noted that his children have to wake up at 6am for school. The constant crowing in the early hours also affected their energy levels in the day.

In the video that Mr Zhao provided to Shin Min, the roosters could be heard crowing at around 4am and 7pm.
When Shin Min visited the residential block, they also observed roosters, hens, and chicks in the area.

Roosters crow almost everyday, reportedly being fed by people​

Another resident, Madam Su, 83, explained that the chickens will crow every day, except for when it rains.

“I’ve been living here for 20 years, but only recently have there been so many chickens. They keep crowing everyday,” said the retiree.
A resident living on the fourth storey of the block, Kedi revealed that there are people feeding the chickens.

roosters-bukit-merah-2.png

Source: Shin Min Daily News
“I’ve seen some women feeding grains to the chickens downstairs. Perhaps that is why there are so many of them.”
However, another resident, Mr Lin, feels unbothered by the chickens.
“I hear them in the day and at night, but I don’t think it’s an issue. I can tolerate it.”

Town council & NParks taking action​

Responding to Shin Min Daily News’s queries, the Tanjong Pagar Town Council confirmed that they have received complaints about the chickens.
A spokesperson for the town council said that they are working closely with NParks to manage the chicken population.
They also said that they began taking action on 9 May.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Town council & NParks taking action​

Responding to Shin Min Daily News’s queries, the Tanjong Pagar Town Council confirmed that they have received complaints about the chickens.
A spokesperson for the town council said that they are working closely with NParks to manage the chicken population.
They also said that they began taking action on 9 May.

16238611795_525313d6df_b.jpg

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
John Tan, where is bro Chan? Why are his minions not doing their job serving the people at Bukit Merah?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How did people living in kampongs in the past gag their roosters? :thumbsdown:
didn’t need to as roosters in the past were not subjected to urban sprawl like today as noises, lights, vehicles, radios and tvs (ah pek and ah mah guilty of these as they turn on radios and tvs way before 6.9am in the morning) affect roosters’ circadian rhythms. the first sinkie conditioned kiasu rooster starts to crow way early like at 3.69am and neighboring roosters buay song will crow too not to be left behind. it’s also their way of defending male dominance, territories and their roosterhood.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You all never kept fucking chickens as pets before. The roosters don't only crow at dawn. They crow throughout the fucking day!!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You all never kept fucking chickens as pets before. The roosters don't only crow at dawn. They crow throughout the fucking day!!

Consistent and persistent crowing only happens at dawn. Other times of the day, it's less frequent.

They are nature's alarm clock. Similarly, if Sinkieland were a proper big country with a vast countryside, when you hear the wolves howl which means it's evening time.