• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

British ministers quit Govt in Meltdown but Brown won't quit

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090603/tpl-british-govt-in-meltdown-as-minister-5b839a9.html

British govt in 'meltdown' as ministers quit

30 mins ago
<cite class="auth"> Katherine Haddon</cite>

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown lost his fourth minister within 24 hours on Wednesday as he faced taunts that his government was in meltdown on the eve of polls which could seal his fate. Skip related content
Related photos / videos

Hazel Blears has been under pressure over her second home allowance Enlarge photo

More photos: Politics

Related content

Have your say: Gordon Brown

Amid talk that the wave of resignations may be the beginning of the end of his premiership, Brown faced a rowdy Prime Minister's Questions session at which Conservative leader David Cameron urged a snap general election.

"The government is collapsing before our eyes," said Cameron, tipped by opinion polls to be elected as premier within a year.

"Why doesn't he take the one act of authority left to him: get down to the palace, ask for a dissolution (of parliament), call that election?"
Nick Clegg -- leader of the second opposition Liberal Democrats -- said Brown's Labour Party was "in total meltdown".

The premier tried to hit back by stressing his policies on pulling Britain out of recession and dismissing the Conservatives as nothing but "talk, talk and talk", prompting Cameron to charge that he was "in denial".

The exchanges came on the eve of Thursday's European Parliament and English local council elections, which are predicted to be a bloodbath for Labour -- and barely an hour after Communities and Local Government Secretary Hazel Blears said she was quitting.

Blears said she was stepping down to return to "grassroots" politics but had been accused of "totally unacceptable behaviour" by Brown last month over her expense claims.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, left embarrassed after it emerged she claimed on expenses for two adult films watched by her husband, has confirmed she will step down at the next cabinet reshuffle, expected as early as Friday.

Children's minister Beverley Hughes also said Tuesday she was going and will reportedly be joined by Cabinet Office minister Tom Watson, a close Brown ally.

The recent row over lavish expense claims by lawmakers, which has led 15 members of parliament to say they will quit, has piled fresh pressure on Brown's already unpopular premiership amid accusations he has been slow to respond to public anger.

"Rats Desert Sinking Ship" and "Meltbrown" were among headlines Wednesday while The Guardian newspaper, traditionally sympathetic to Brown and Labour, symbolically withdrew its support for him.

"It is time to cut him loose," it said in an extended editorial.

Labour "faces its worst defeat in its history tomorrow but the prime minister does not recognise his direct responsibility for the mayhem.
"The truth is that there is no vision from him, no plan, no argument for the future and no support."

There are widespread reports that finance minister Alistair Darling, who has led Britain's response to the recession, could be demoted in a reshuffle.

Brown twice dodged questions from Cameron on Wednesday over whether Darling would still be in place in a week's time.

Some reports suggest Brown could face a leadership challenge before the next general election, which must be held within a year, possibly from Health Secretary Alan Johnson.

Others say there is little interest from anyone in taking over the helm of a party which looks likely to be forced out of office by the Conservatives within months.

British media reported that a group of rebel MPs had started circulating a letter calling on Brown to step down which they will hand to him Monday after all the election results are in.

Labour Party rules state that 72 MPs must sign a motion of no-confidence to trigger a leadership election. Labour currently has 350 MPs, a majority of 63.

An Ipsos Mori poll Tuesday said support for Labour had plunged to 18 percent, down 10 points in the last month since the expenses scandal.
The Conservatives are 22 percentage points ahead, according to the telephone poll of 1,001 adults between May 29 and 31.

Bookmakers Paddy Power cut its odds on Brown leaving Downing Street in the next few months to just 5/4.

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090603/tuk-gordon-brown-brushes-off-calls-to-qu-dba1618.html

Gordon Brown brushes off calls to quit

2 hours 1 min ago
<cite class="auth"> </cite>

Defiant Prime Minister Gordon Brown has brushed off calls to quit following the resignations of four ministers in 24 hours. Skip related content
Related photos / videos

Brown under fire Play video

Related content

Have your say: Gordon Brown

Tory leader David Cameron taunted Mr Brown in the Commons, saying his command over his Cabinet had "simply disappeared", and urge him to "get down to the Palace, ask for a dissolution, call an election".

Mr Cameron accused the premier of being "in denial" in the wake of the resignation of Communities Secretary Hazel Blears and other ministerial departures.

And Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg said the Government is in "total meltdown" although Mr Brown insisted he is dealing with the problems facing the country.

Meanwhile, rumours are sweeping Westminster of rebel Labour MPs gathering signatures from backbenchers for a letter to Mr Brown, calling on him to step down.

The Guardian's website says MPs are being given an email address to which they can send their endorsement of the "Gordon must go" call, which could be handed to the PM on Monday after results are declared in the council and European polls.

At Prime Minister's Questions, Mr Cameron seized on Mr Brown's problems saying: "This morning the Communities Secretary resigned from the Cabinet. This follows yesterday's announcement that the schools minister is standing down, the minister for the Cabinet Office is leaving and the Home Secretary is resigning.

"Why doesn't the Prime Minister accept that his ability to command his Cabinet has simply disappeared?"

Mr Brown shrugged off the jibe and instead praised Ms Blears and Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, saying: "At a time like this the House should come together to acknowledge contributions that have been made in the public interest."

Ms Blears' departure came hot on the heels of the resignation of Ms Smith, who confirmed she will quit in the coming reshuffle, expected within the next few days.

She had come under pressure after it was revealed she did not pay capital gains tax when selling a property on which she had claimed the parliamentary second homes allowance. She later repaid £13,000 to HM Revenue and Customs.

In a statement, Ms Blears urged voters to back Labour in the Euro-elections and said she wanted to "return to the grassroots where I began, to political activism, to the cut and thrust of political debate".

"Today I have told the Prime Minister that I am resigning from the Government. My politics has always been rooted in the belief that ordinary people are capable of extraordinary things, given the right support and encouragement."

She continued: "The role of a progressive Government should be to pass power to the people. I've never sought high office for the sake of it, or for what I can gain, but for what I can achieve for the people I represent and serve.

"In this next phase of my political life I am redoubling my efforts to speak up for the people of Salford as their Member of Parliament. I am returning to the grassroots (where I began), to political activism, to the cut and thrust of political debate.

"Most of all I want to help the Labour Party to reconnect with the British people, to remind them that our values are their values, that their hopes and dreams are ours too.

"I am glad to be going home to the people who matter the most to me: the people of Salford. Finally, there's an important set of elections tomorrow. My message is simple: get out and vote Labour."

matamafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
The whites are in troubles one after another.

Downing Street had turned [COLOR="_______"]BROWN[/COLOR]. The WHITE house turned BLACK.

One govt is falling a part, the other's country's economy is falling apart. Then added with H1N1 Swine Flu.

HUAT AH!

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
No Minister in S'pore govt will dare to resign over differences with the leadership. That is the kind of ah gua Cabinet that we have.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Purnell, one of the leading Blairites in his top team, told Mr Brown in a regretful letter: “We both love the Labour Party. I have worked for it for 20 years and you for far longer. We know we owe it everything and it owes us nothing. I owe it to our party to say what I believe no matter how hard that may be. I now believe your continued leadership makes a Conservative victory more not less likely.

“The Party was here long before us, and we want it to be here long after we have gone. We must do the right thing by it.

“We need to show that we are prepared to fight to be a credible government and have the courage to offer an alternative future. I am therefore calling on you to stand aside to give our party a fighting chance of winning.”

I wonder who will be the first in PAP cabinet to break away and say this to the face of the Old Man or his son?

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
Brown declares elections a 'painful defeat'

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090605/tuk-brown-declares-elections-a-painful-d-dba1618.html

<script type="text/javascript"> YAHOONEWSGLOBALS.thisStoryUrl = '/itn/20090605/r_t_itn_uk/tuk-brown-declares-elections-a-painful-d-dba1618_3'; </script> Breaking News

Obama: 'We Must Redouble Efforts On Gaza'

Brown declares elections a 'painful defeat'

24 mins ago

Labour has slumped to a humiliating set of results in the local elections and faces the prospect of losing all four of its county councils to the Tories. Skip related content
Related photos / videos

Nick Clegg: A fantastic night for the Lib Dems Play video

More photos: Politics

Related content

Have your say: Local Government

The Conservatives have already seized control of Staffordshire, Lancashire and Derbyshire. The latter had been in Labour hands for the last 28 years.
Labour also lost control of Nottinghamshire County Council. The count, which is still continuing, has seen 32 of the council's 67 seats won by the Conservatives.
The Tories also seized Somerset and Devon county councils from the Lib Dems and the new Central Bedfordshire unitary authority, where Labour failed to win a single seat.
Prime Minister Gordon Brown has declared the results a "painful defeat" for Labour.
Meanwhile, Conservative leader David Cameron said: "You can see the Conservative Party strong, united and positive, winning in every part of our country."
In Bristol, Labour was forced into third place, losing a string of seats to the Liberal Democrats, who took overall control for the first time in their history. Conservatives also picked up seats from Labour in the city.
Labour has so far lost 79 councillors, with the Tories gaining 113 in the 27 county councils and seven unitary authorities which went to the polls on Thursday.
The Conservatives also increased their overall control of Lincolnshire County Council at the expense of Labour, whose share of the vote fell in virtually every seat.
There has been some comfort for Labour in Scotland, with two local council by-election victories over the SNP.
The vacancies in Glasgow and North Lanarkshire were created by Nationalist councillors standing down after becoming MSPs.
Scottish Labour leader Iain Gray declared it a "stunning" result for his party. He added: "It is also a personal humiliation for Alex Salmond as two of the seats won were vacated by his SNP MSPs standing down from their dual council roles."
The remainder of the council election results are expected between noon and 8pm, with European results due on Sunday evening.
Meanwhile, among the three mayoral seats up for selection, independent Stuart Drummond has been re-elected Mayor of Hartlepool for a third term.
It is the first time a mayor has successfully won a third spell in office since directly elected mayors were introduced.
Mr Drummond began his political career as H'Angus the Monkey, the mascot for the local football club.
Peter Davies of the English Democrats has been elected Mayor of Doncaster, with independent Michael Maye coming second.
The Labour and Conservative candidates were both eliminated from the vote after the first round.

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cameron: The govt is falling apart

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/14/20090605/tpl-cameron-the-govt-is-falling-apart-81c5b50.html

Cameron: The govt is falling apart

8 hours 8 mins ago

By politics.co.uk staff Skip related content
Related content

Have your say: David Cameron

David Cameron has piled on the pressure on the prime minister, saying the government is now “falling apart”.
His salvo comes as James Purnell, the work and pensions secretary, steps down from government, with a letter calling on Gordon Brown to step down.
“We have a government falling apart in front of our eyes. Britain deserves better than this,” he said. "With this resignation, the argument for a general election has gone from being strong and powerful to completely unanswerable."
He added: "For the sake of the country, Gordon Brown must carry out the one final act of authority left open to him, go to the Palace and call the general election we have been demanding."
The Liberal democrats said the government was now in “total meltdown”.
Danny Alexander, Nick Clegg's chief of staff, said: “Labour is finished as a government.
"The people of this country have clearly lost confidence in the Labour government and it seems now that ministers are losing confidence in their droves. We may well see more resignations."

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
the whites are in troubles one after another.

Downing street had turned [color="_______"]brown[/color]. The white house turned black.

One govt is falling a part, the other's country's economy is falling apart. Then added with h1n1 swine flu.

Huat ah!

hey clown, talk to yourself with your many nick?
Wahaha

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aw... and what is Yap's solution?

In the 1st place this is a British problem & Singaporeans have no obligation to solve.

If this was Singaporean parliamentary scandal, ultra simple, punish the corrupts to set examples for the future and ban the corrupts from taking any public office.

If you asked another stupid question, the only answer you deserve is a slap on your face. :smile::biggrin: