• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Beneath the facade of “Singapore: World’s richest country”

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Beneath the facade of “Singapore: World’s richest country”[/h]Posted by temasektimes on August 20, 2012

It is with great alarm that I read the above tag & headline in the Straits Times recently labelling Singapore as the world’s richest nation . Upon further inspection, our widely circumspect government- controlled newspaper proudly proclaimed that “Singapore topped the charts for highest GDP per capita in 2010 at close to SGD $70,000 (USD $56,532), according to a study.In the Wealth Report 2012 published by Knight Frank and Citi Private Bank, Singapore is also expected to continue to be the global leader in 2050.GDP per capita refers to the total output of a country divided by the population.

Huh, I immediately thought to myself as I, like many other “sinkis” (those born and bred here) had been living under the roof of the “ world’s richest nation”, let alone earning an average per capita income of S$70,000 per annum! Can this really be true, that the general populace (people) of Singapore, on the average, has more per capita income than the likes of Norway, Switzerland, The U.S. , Canada, Australia etc etc.?? I shudder in disbelief, as I myself, can only manage to earn roughly S$25,000 per annum as a taxidriver these past few years, a far cry from the “national average” of the so-called $70,000 based on the abovesaid Wealth Report.

Hmmmh, maybe I am just one of the unlucky ones, since I am one of those deemed “structurally unemployed” that had to resort to driving taxi despite having an overseas degree and an ex-PMET with over 20 yrs work experience but somehow unable to obtain any clerical or administrative level job of any sort at age 50, so can only drive taxi or work as security guard in this unforgiving job landscape in this gloriously titled world’s richest nation.

I got to qualify the above statements by clarifying that I had never been choosy in my job search these many years since my retrenchment from my PMET post in 2008. I had applied for jobs from all walks of life, including entry level jobs at the IRs, clerical and admin positions of $1,500 monthly asking pay etc. Sadly, I once even got rejected for a car park valet position with MBS despite having relevant work experience as one and also a $6per hour position as a part-time theme park operator with RWS where I was looked over and preferred over by younger pinoy female candidates. Being jobless at an older age is a tormenting experience and one cannot expect any handout or assistance from our illustrious PAP govt during such difficult times because like all things here, everyone has to simply fend for themselves in this unforgiving nation.

Yet when I drive taxi, I see all around me all kinds of foreigners (fts) of all nationalities , both young and old, all flourishing with good paying jobs in this “great” nation of ours, all calling Singapore their home since they get to earn a pretty good living here. This is especially so in a country that has an immigration policy that is so welcoming to fts of any form or qualifications, inviting them to fill up the many available jobs which somehow become more and more exclusively reserved for fts rather than locals in this vibrant economy of ours. Yes, the “foreign talent” policy of this govt is so overwhelmingly skewed that it does not accord a snowball’s-chance-in-hell for locals, esp those in the older age bracket like myself, to compete for any decent jobs. So only other alternative is….Drive Taxi!

As a taxidriver, many-a-times I spent my meal breaks sitting in the many hawker centres and local kopitiams situated in the heartlands or HDB estates. Yet everywhere I observed around me, I see fellow “sinkis” like myself, the local “aunties” and “uncles” all working either as cleaners, kopitaim attendants, dishwashers or those collecting 10cents per entry at the public toilets whilst others earn their living carrying cardboard scarps or collecting cans . Still there are many others, all Singaporeans, always loitering around the kopitiams, haphazardly dressed, mostly unemployed, looking for free meals or a free glass of beer here and there from old familiar faces. Sigh, this is the state of true-blue Singaporeans in this socalled “world’s richest nation” and if I were to do a headcount, I would probably see a few dozen such Singaporeans at each kopitiam, all earning very meagre salaries at most (Yes, I asked one 70yr old “ahpek” how much he earns as a kopitiam assistant and he say $650p.m without CPF or benefits , work 12 hours a day and if absent from work, will be deducted 2 day’s salary).

Unfortunately I see this everyday even in my own neighbourhood in Bedok where the majority of Singaporeans are either working as taxidrivers or cleaners and security guards, mostly all in low income jobs. If I were to guess a ratio or rough estimate, I reckon that only 1 out of 20 Singaporeans I know of is holding a professional job i.e an executive level or managerial position. Sadly, the majority seems to be stuck in the usual “Poverty Trap” ie of being in low income jobs that will never be able to cope with high costs of living or inflation.

So I cannot help but wonder, how is it that we, as a nation, can have a per capita income of $70,000 per annum? Furthermore this is something stretching way into the future, according to the wealth report, until the year 2050? That is nothing short of saying that we do indeed undisputedly live in the world’ wealthiest nation and should be proud that we have a standard of living even better than our Swiss and American counterparts!

Surely, Something must be truly wrong with this picture called Singapore since so many of us are truly left out in the cold , hardly earning an income that is even close to the “national average” or the measured benchmark of 70k p.a???

Alas, I can only come to one conclusion and it is that the extent of the income gap i.e gap between the rich and the poor, is so incredibly large here, it is beyond comprehension! This is to say that, the rich or some of the high income earners or the super-rich is so overwhelmingly so , it makes the ratio so disproportionate. Perhaps one of these millionaires earns so much that it takes several hundred ordinary “heartlanders” like those I described above to equal to the income of ONE! For sure, I can tell you that the average ft that comes here for work (esp those plying their trade in the CBD and Financial District) all earn WAY ABOVE the 70k per annum benchmark . You should see some of the luxurious condos I shuttle them to everyday, the magnificient restaurants and clubs they wine and dine and party at. Yes the average fts here all truly earns at least that amount wheres us locals or “Sinkis” are mostly languishing in the heartlander “ghettos” with our minimal $1,000 per month salary, which , by the way, is enough to own a HDB flat and get by with the high cost of living, according to a very well-known PAP govt Minister!

Truly, I really feel so sad that, as a true son of Singapore, I now live in this nation who boasts itself , without any doubt, to be the world wealthiest nation but yet somehow, I feel I only possess a “second or third world” livelihood that is unable to cope with first world inflation rate!
Whilst so many others come here from foreign lands to so proudly boast that are “almost Singaporean” just because they been living here a few years but enjoying the high life, the rest of us “true Singaporeans” that are born and raised here now feel nothing but a great sense of displacement and being “left out” in this nation’s incessant march towards that inaptly tagged title of being a part of this “world’s wealthiest nation”.!

DISPLACEDSINKI

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
There are winners and losers in any country regardless of the per capita figures.

Articles like those above are written by the losers. I advise everyone to simply ignore such articles and seek out the success stories instead.

Successful people inspire others towards similar success. Losers do nothing but breed negativity.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's all propaganda lah. As samantha leong rightly pointed out, every country has its winners and losers. It's all a matter of perspective. Take North Korea, for instance. Many regard it as a failed state. But if it were the case, how could Kim Jong-Il be able to keep $4 billion in various European banks? How could a poor country actually produce a billionaire? :rolleyes:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
There are winners and losers in any country regardless of the per capita figures.

Articles like those above are written by the losers. I advise everyone to simply ignore such articles and seek out the success stories instead.

Successful people inspire others towards similar success. Losers do nothing but breed negativity.

Boss join CHC can be considered "seek out the success stories" or not?

Last edited:

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal

but when the voices of the losers drown out the voices of the winners, it is time to sit up and take note.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
but when the voices of the losers drown out the voices of the winners, it is time to sit up and take note.

Losers always drown out the winners for the simple reason that winners don't waste their time whining and complaining. They're busy enjoying life.

If there were 9 winners to every loser, you'd still hear the loser. The winners have gone to play golf.

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Losers always drown out the winners for the simple reason that winners don't waste their time whining and complaining. They're busy enjoying life.

If there were 9 winners to every loser, you'd still hear the loser. The winners have gone to play golf.

so how do you get the golfers to speak up?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
san francisco is an example of how losers, bums and beggars have taken over the city. she was a bustling metropolitan attracting some of the best, brightest and wealthiest folks on the west coast. at its peak in the 60s, ladies were in designer dresses and men in suits. hollywood directors were fond of shooting their production there, due to the cleanliness, beauty, and classiness of the place and surroundings. fast forward to the 80s and 90s, a series of liberal leftist mayors and city supervisors thought the city was so well off that they could give away hundreds per person in cash as welfare money for the single mother, lower income, unfortunate and poor. moreover in the late 60s and 70s, the flower power generation showed up from all over the u.s. and settled in sf for good, mainly because of the critical mass, ongoing anti-war movement and love. after one decade of experimentation by giving out cash to anyone with a social security number and stink on their jacket, the city started to see more bums, losers, drunks, addicts and homeless showing up on the streets.

it became such a serious problem with so many homeless panhandlers on the streets by the time of willie brown that he persuaded the city council and supervisors to get rid of them or house them. apparently, the entire country's bums and losers heard about the cash program in sf and made their way from as far as alaska to the city. they swarmed the city for cash, and very soon the chest including reserves collected from prosperous years ran out. the next mayor newsom compromised with the supervisors to have the cash program converted to a food vouchure program. very quickly, the food stamps became an underground currency for the exchange of drugs, alcohol and cigarettes. many immigrant grocers and liquor store owners got into the act of accepting food vouchers and converting them to cash with either clueless or corrupt city clerks.

the whole fecking city is now a dirty smelly mess, and one of the biggest voting bloc is dominated by losers, homeless, bums and addicts. naturally, they vote in supervisors sympathetic to their ways and dependencies. and now the city is obligated by majority legislation to provide cheap housing for the homeless, food stamps for the poor (well, anybody), tax payer funded advocates and lawyers for losers' greviances, tax payer funded free healthcare, etc.

want to hear more about unintended consequences of good intentions? i shall stop here. :rolleyes:

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
on the other hand, many other states and cities should have seen a reduction in their number of homeless bums.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought Arnie was going to terminate all these looney lefties!??:eek: Did the red tape kill him?

arnie was so shackled by looney lefties in the state assembly that he vented his procreative energy by knocking up his mexican nanny. governor moonbeam jerry is now in charge, and arnie is left doing cameo appearances for all expendables movies. :p

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
on the other hand, many other states and cities should have seen a reduction in their number of homeless bums.

they are disappearing from the heartlandish red states and gravitating towards the coastal blue states. and vice versa for conservatives and religious nuts gyrating from blue to red. the two-way migration trend is more pronounced now with current economic conditions. very soon, it will be the divided states of america, with east and west liberal america vs. the american heartland.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
they are disappearing from the heartlandish red states and gravitating towards the coastal blue states. and vice versa for conservatives and religious nuts gyrating from blue to red. the two-way migration trend is more pronounced now with current economic conditions. very soon, it will be the divided states of america, with east and west liberal america vs. the american heartland.

Is the East as liberal as the West in today's world?

When I was in the US a couple of decades ago, California was the Steve Jobs anything goes T shirt and jeans culture whereas the East (Boston, NY) was IBM territory which meant long sleeve WHITE shirt, tie and suit.

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is the East as liberal as the West in today's world?

When I was in the US a couple of decades ago, California was the Steve Jobs anything goes T shirt and jeans culture whereas the East (Boston, NY) was IBM territory which meant long sleeve WHITE shirt, tie and suit.

northeast is moderately liberal with a condescending yankee attitude as though they chased the british away and whipped the south over and over again. boston is changing to collared shirt and jeans due to the new harvard and mit cultures. they're trying the emulate the coolness and success of silicon valley. nyc and new jersey cities are still suit and tie territories, with ties coming off for yuppies after work.

mid-atlantic (baltimore, dc, arlington, philly) are more liberal due to many gov and union workers, but still have a sizable military and ex mil bloc who are mostly conservatives.

women from new england down to the chesapeake bay tend to be more liberal as they work, earn good income, raise families, are more independent, and hate men trying to control their lives. they tip the balance between conservatives and liberals in favor of liberals from northeast to mid-atlantic.

south eastern from carolinas, georgia to florida are more conservative, with fl as a swing state. carolinas and georgia are part of the southern bible belt, so they tend to be more socially conservative with women who are pro-lifers and husbands sprouting family values. suits and ties in atlanta even though the summer heat and humidity are horrible. fl is more casual with short sleeves and bermudas or khakis. conservative cubans in the south with more liberal retirees (from the northeast) in the middle. the florida panhandle is redneck conservative.

on the left coast, seattle is liberally casual. spokane is not as it is redneck. portland is filled with outdoor enthusiasts and greenies, and they don't care about politics. and they are quite untouched by illegal mexicans. california is the most liberal, with the sf bay area taking the cake. steve jobs had pretty much established the new fashion for techie men and geeks in silicon valley (his legacy lives on): jeans, t-shirts, long sleeves t's.

KINGFALCON

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you walked the streets of London before?
You can see the old man, dirt in his hair and his clothes in rags.
Picking up the papers with his worn out hands.
So how can you tell me Singaporeans are not rich.
I'll show you something to make you change your mind.