• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

APPLE and The Iphone

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
iPhone users raging over 'major flaw' in new update
Breaking News.

David Ingram
NBC
Saturday, 26 October 2019 5:23 am
Play Video

iPhone users are not loving the new update Credit: Getty & Twitter
Shannon Watts always replied to emails the same way: by touching the reply icon, tucked in a familiar spot near the bottom right corner of her iPhone. Then, one day a few weeks ago, the icon wasn’t there — and neither was the email. It was deleted by accident.
It’s happened dozens of times since, frustrating Watts and many other iPhone users who’ve been tripped up by a minor change rolled out last month by Apple, a company renowned for its forward-thinking design.
In the video above: Apple disputes hacking report
In the newest version of the iPhone email app, the trash icon is now where the reply icon used to be. And they’re too close together for some people.
“I end up deleting the email by accident instead of replying to it,” said Watts, the founder of Moms Demand Action, a prominent gun control organisation. “If I’m lucky, I’ll remember who I was replying to and then search for their name in trash. But it’s incredibly frustrating and time consuming.”
It wasn't the only complaint either. Others say the update is "killing" their battery.
Apple hasn’t responded to the tweets, including some asking for a fix in future software updates. Apple also did not reply to email requests for comment from NBC News.
Apple’s devoted fan base came to expect design perfection after a string of breakthrough products over the years, including the iMac in 1998 and the iPhone in 2007.
Enthusiasm has waned, though, after a series of contentious decisions including eliminating the dedicated headphone jack from new iPhones and frequent changes to the iTunes/Music app. Some critics say beauty has trumped usability.
The new update isn't being received well.
The new update isn't being received well. Credit: Apple
Jony Ive, Apple’s longtime chief design officer who was knighted by the British government in 2012, said in June he was leaving the company to become an outside contractor.
The problem comes down to muscle memory, said Gedeon Maheux, the lead designer for Iconfactory, a company that makes icons and apps.
Apple’s gone and broken that muscle memory
“When you use something for years, you get muscle memory, and Apple’s gone and broken that muscle memory,” Maheux said. “I’ve been bitten by it myself.”
Maheux said he suspects Apple was trying to make the taskbar at the bottom of the email app cleaner and more elegant.
“When you’re a busy person and you don’t have much time, it can make you want to chuck your phone out the window,” he said, though he acknowledged it was a “First World problem.”
Apple may have had more sweeping changes on its mind with its latest software upgrade, such as how Facebook and other apps use Bluetooth technology.
But Rene Ritchie, a senior analyst at Mobile Nations, a tech-focused media company, said the iPhone email delete button has always been problematic. He tells people to turn on an “ask before deleting” feature in their settings, or to swipe left in the app to show more functions.
“I think the placement and default are optimized for speed and triage, if you’re just walking around and trying to clean out your mail as quickly as possible,” Ritchie said.
“But I also think it’s nowhere nearly forgiving enough for mainstream usage,” he said.
Watch 'The Latest on Facebook Watch' here.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if you have macbook purchased in 2015 and later, don't update to catalina until apple has figured out what's wrong with it for newer macbooks. downloading catalina is fine, but during installation, the macbook will hang. you can try macos recovery but will face the same issue. hundreds of thousands of macbook had to be turned into the nearest apple store with tech support (genius bar) in order for them to reformat the hard disk and re-install mojave to get it back in operation. do your backups regularly. otherwise, you'll lose your data. i just got my macbook back from apple after 69 hours of inoperation.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
if you have macbook purchased in 2015 and later, don't update to catalina until apple has figured out what's wrong with it for newer macbooks. downloading catalina is fine, but during installation, the macbook will hang. you can try macos recovery but will face the same issue. hundreds of thousands of macbook had to be turned into the nearest apple store with tech support (genius bar) in order for them to reformat the hard disk and re-install mojave to get it back in operation. do your backups regularly. otherwise, you'll lose your data. i just got my macbook back from apple after 69 hours of inoperation.

I'm still on High Sierra on all my Macs. I typically wait more than a year before upgrading and as long as I install the security updates I feel reasonably safe.

The reason I do this is not just because of potential bugs in the new OS but because developers of applications I use often need a considerable amount of time to make their apps completely compatible with the new OS Rev. The beta testing never catches everything because there are simply too many variables to take into consideration.... anything from memory, graphic cards, firmware rev etc.

I used to wait just a couple of weeks and almost lost 1Gb of photos because Capture One crashed when I tried to run it and it corrupted a database that stores the editing info for each photo in every album.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm still on High Sierra on all my Macs. I typically wait more than a year before upgrading and as long as I install the security updates I feel reasonably safe.

The reason I do this is not just because of potential bugs in the new OS but because a considerable amount of time is required to make their apps compatible with the new OS Rev.

I used to wait just a couple of weeks and almost lost 1Gb of photos because Capture One crashed when I tried to run it and it corrupted a database that stores the editing info for each photo in every album.
at one time high sierra had a lot of issues too during the upgrading process. yosemite and mojave os's were ok for their entire cycles of upgrades and patches. i suspect the catalina issue may have something to do with an encryption feature. may have to turn off filevault in system preference (security and privacy) before installing. when my macbook is repaired and returned, filevault is turned off. no more auto-encryption as it's now running catalina 10.15 with the filevault option turned off (turning it on is disabled).

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
at one time high sierra had a lot of issues too during the upgrading process. yosemite and mojave os's were ok for their entire cycles of upgrades and patches. i suspect the catalina issue may have something to do with an encryption feature. may have to turn off filevault in system preference (security and privacy) before installing. when my macbook is repaired and returned, filevault is turned off. no more auto-encryption as it's now running catalina 10.15 with the filevault option turned off (turning it on is disabled).

My motto is if it is not broken don't fix it. Everything has been running smoothly for ages so I am very reluctant to rock the boat.

The push usually comes when I start seeing applications that no longer run on High Sierra so I am then forced to upgrade if don't want to end up a dinosaur.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My motto is if it is not broken don't fix it. Everything has been running smoothly for ages so I am very reluctant to rock the boat.

The push usually comes when I start seeing applications that no longer run on High Sierra so I am then forced to upgrade if don't want to end up a dinosaur.
yup, if you have 32-bit apps still running fine, don't update to catalina as it's not compatible with all 32-bit apps. not worth it, and there's no need to keep updating to the latest os. the last patch of yosemite was running exceptionally well on my macbook, and it was smoother than mojave.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apple warns old iPhones will stop working on Sunday
Lucy Dean

28 October 2019, 11:38 pm UTC
Apple has issued an urgent warning to iPhone 5 users. Images: Getty
Apple has issued an urgent warning to iPhone 5 users. Images: Getty
Apple has told users of iPhone 5 devices that they will need to update their devices by 3 November or see several major apps cease working.
The iPhone 5 devices were the last iPhones to be released under Steve Jobs’ leadership. Those devices, and other devices released in 2012 and earlier, will see issues beginning at midnight UTC on 2 November, or 10:00 Sunday 3 November AEST, Apple said in a statement.
“Starting just before 12:00 a.m. UTC on November 3, 2019, iPhone 5 will require an iOS update to maintain accurate GPS location and to continue to use functions that rely on correct date and time including App Store, iCloud, email, and web browsing,” Apple said.
spaceball.gif

“It's always a good idea to keep the operating system on your iPhone updated. If you have an iPhone 5, it's especially important to update your device's software wirelessly or using your computer before November 3 to maintain accurate GPS location and to continue to use functions that rely on correct date and time including App Store, iCloud, email, and web browsing.”
Apple said that if the iPhone does not have the 10.3.4 update by that date, users will have to back up and restore their device using a computer to update, as the software updates and iCloud Backup will not work otherwise.
Users have been reticent to update iPhones with older batteries due to concerns of performance issues.
Reddit users in 2017 began noticing that older Apple iPhones were slowing down, with many users claiming to see the slowdown due to upgrades.

In a statement to The Verge, Apple said that it slows down older phones due to flaws in the older batteries that can lead the phones to spontaneously shut down.
“Our goal is to deliver the best experience for customers, which includes overall performance and prolonging the life of their devices. Lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, have a low battery charge or as they age over time, which can result in the device unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components,” Apple said at the time.
“Last year we released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions. We’ve now extended that feature to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2, and plan to add support for other products in the future.”
Make your money work with Yahoo Finance’s daily newsletter. Sign up here and stay on top of the latest money, property and tech news.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
iPhone charging cable: Apple could be forced to change to USB-C
Apple could be forced to change its charger cables for iPhones, for the third time, in a move that would impact millions of people worldwide.

Sean Keach
The SunJANUARY 15, 20208:51AM
d1cf064c7e1a8c4e3d5bc2eb5fe8065b

Apple might now switch to a new USB Type-C port for future iPhone models. Picture: iStockSource:istock
Apple could be forced to change the iPhone cable yet again under new rules.
The tech giant may have to switch to USB-C cables — and ditch the hugely popular Lightning connector in Europe.
Apple would only be compelled to use this common charger in EU countries — but would likely do the same in the USA and globally anyway.
The EU is set to vote on the matter “at a future session”, but hasn’t confirmed a date, The Sun reports.
The switch would render current iPhone cables useless, and force fans to buy a new lead if they upgrade their handset.
The new iPhone cable would be Apple’s third in 13 years.
Apple could be forced to ditch the Lightning port. Picture: iStock

Apple could be forced to ditch the Lightning port. Picture: iStockSource:istock
Apple’s first iPhones used the massive 30-pin dock connector, before the firm abruptly switched to lightning connectors in 2012.
The move made everybody’s old charging cables useless, and the same could happen again.
The EU has previously called for common chargers on phones, but now wants to enforce the ruling.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

News you can trust. Watch Ticky Fullerton 11am Sundays, Sky News. For more
“To reduce electronic waste and make consumers’ life easier, MEPs want binding measures for chargers to fit all mobile phones and other portable devices,” the EU explained.
“A common charger should fit all mobile phones, tablets, e-book readers and other portable devices, MEPs will insist.
“According to estimates, old chargers generate more than 51,000 tonnes of electronic waste per year.”
The Type C cables are used my most phones. Picture: iStock

The Type C cables are used my most phones. Picture: iStockSource:istock
If forced to create a USB-C iPhone, Apple would likely do so globally — to avoid creating different designs for non-EU countries.
Brexit is unlikely to prevent the change in the UK for the same reasons.
The most likely candidate for a new charger is USB-C.
It’s an increasingly popular type of charging and data transfer port that was launched in the middle of 2014.
The male end of the cable is a little thicker and much wider than Apple’s Lightning cables, but they largely perform the same job.
However, while Lightning ports are exclusively used on Apple devices, USB-C ports are now very common.
Most flagship Android phones now feature USB-C ports, including the Samsung Galaxy S10, Google Pixel 4, and OnePlus 7 Pro.
Apple has also adopted USB-C ports on several products, including new MacBooks and the iPad Pro.
Last year’s iPhone 11 cable also has a USB-C tip on one end, but still joins to the handset using a Lightning connector.
It’s also worth mentioning that Apple is rumoured to be adding USB-C connectors on the upcoming iPhone 12 anyway.
But Apple has previously spoken out against proposals to force common chargers across the industry.
“Regulations that would drive conformity across the type of connector built into all smartphones freeze innovation rather than encourage it,” Apple’s Claire Darmon told the EU in 2019.
“Such proposals are bad for the environment and unnecessarily disruptive for customers.
In other news, Samsung is expected to reveal the world’s first 5G tablet in a matter of weeks.
The iPhone 12 could be the thinnest ever thanks to new screen technology.
And the new phone could also see through mist and fog thanks to rumoured ‘Spectral Edge’ camera integration.
This story was originally published in The Sun and is reprinted with permission.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apple phone is way over priced.
Just too overpriced !!!

Apple is releasing cheaper iPhones, and many people buy refurbished, second hand or older generation iPhones.

Even Bangla workers and Pinoy maids are using iPhones.

You can always choose Android phones with their myriad of software-related annoyances, bloatware and terrible resale value. Especially those Chinese brand phones.

To this day, Google has come up with nothing in-house that can rival Facetime or iMessage.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apple is releasing cheaper iPhones, and many people buy refurbished, second hand or older generation iPhones.

Even Bangla workers and Pinoy maids are using iPhones.

You can always choose Android phones with their myriad of software-related annoyances, bloatware and terrible resale value. Especially those Chinese brand phones.

To this day, Google has come up with nothing in-house that can rival Facetime or iMessage.
If faggot phones changes to usb C. It will even b more popular.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why chink supporters are having whenever Apple got bad news?
Even if Apple Inc close shop tomorrow what these people get? They short Apple stock?
They want Apple tiongs rivals to rule the world? Shiok sendiri?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why chink supporters are having whenever Apple got bad news?
Even if Apple Inc close shop tomorrow what these people get? They short Apple stock?
They want Apple tiongs rivals to rule the world? Shiok sendiri?

Anti-USA sentiments, and Apple is an iconic company representative of the tech industry.

Same goes for Starbucks, McDonalds, Nike, NBA etc.

美帝国亡我之心不死! :biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anti-USA sentiments, and Apple is an iconic company representative of the tech industry.

Same goes for Starbucks, McDonalds, Nike, NBA etc.

美帝国亡我之心不死! :biggrin:

So instead of trying to beat my opponent I hope and pray that he falls so i win by default?
Typical loser chink mentality

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Retrenchment is rife in Tiong-Cock now and pork prices are sky-rocketing like nobody business. Having pork to eat largi more important than owning an overpriced mediocre phone.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apple takes smartphone sales crown from Samsung
published : 1 Feb 2020 at 02:45

writer: AFP

The iPhone 11 helped Apple regain the crown as leader of the global smartphone market in the fourth quarter, according to analysts.
The iPhone 11 helped Apple regain the crown as leader of the global smartphone market in the fourth quarter, according to analysts.
SAN FRANCISCO: Apple was the top smartphone seller in the final quarter of last year, seizing the crown from Samsung, according to market trackers.

Apple shipped an estimated 73.8 million iPhones during the fourth quarter, driven by the popularity of its newest models in the United States and Europe and lower-priced handsets in other parts of the world, International Data Corporation reported this week.

Apple, which has been below Samsung for some time, "is recovering, due to cheaper iPhone 11 pricing and healthier demand in Asia and North America," said Neil Mawston of Strategy Analytics, whose separate survey also showed Apple on top in the past quarter.

South Korean consumer electronics giant Samsung delivered some 69.4 million handsets as it slipped to the number two position, according to IDC.

Chinese smartphone powerhouse Huawei remained a strong player in its home market, but saw sales of premium models take a hit in Western Europe in the wake of US sanctions, according to IDC analyst Melissa Chau.

"Things will continue to look challenging for Huawei given that the trade war is still not yet resolved, while new uncertainty raised around the Wuhan coronavirus could potentially have adverse effects on not just Huawei, but all players reliant on the China smartphone supply chain," Chau said.

Huawei shipped 56.2 million smartphones during the quarter, a decline of about seven percent from the same period a year earlier, IDC reported.

IHS Markit senior analyst Anna Ahrens said Huawei faces headwinds because of US sanctions which have prevented it from getting key components and software.

"In markets like Western Europe, the lack of Google services will make Huawei phones a hard sell for consumers, especially considering that the company's Mate series is positioned squarely in the premium price segment," Ahrens said.

Samsung remained the top smartphone seller overall last year, and the broader market is expected to get a boost as 5G telecom networks get established and new smartphones synched to them are launched.

For the full year, overall smartphone sales were down around one percent despite an improving trend in the fourth quarter, according to IDC and Strategy Analytics surveys.

IDC reported shipments of 368 million handsets in 2019 compared with 373 million a year earlier, marking a third consecutive yearly decline.

White House candidates, and a nation, brace for Iowa vote
DES MOINES (UNITED STATES) - Months into the Democratic nomination marathon, after seven debates, countless rallies, bitter candidate clashes and an impeachment effort to remove the US president, Iowa on Monday holds the first-in-the-nation vote to see who challenges Donald Trump in November.

3 Feb 2020
White House candidates, and a nation, brace for Iowa vote
Coming home
All Thais to be repatriated from Wuhan will be quarantined at naval facilities in Chon Buri as the government is preparing for the evacuation on Tuesday.

3 Feb 2020
Coming home
Bangkok ‘most at risk’ for virus spread
China tried to come to grips with the expanding coronavirus outbreak, with the death toll climbing as residents returned from the Lunar New Year holidays.

3 Feb 2020
Bangkok ‘most at risk’ for virus spread

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Iphone is single model
Samsung many models
And yet Apple can be number 1
Iphone trumps Samsung hands down

Even Bangla workers and Pinoy maids are using iPhones, even if they're older models e.g. iPhone 8.

Android phones depreciate very quickly and there is very little resale value.

Google Assistant is better, but Google has yet to come up with something that rivals Facetime and iMessage.