• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat AMDL Police Jailed for Killing BLM at Traffic Stop

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

Two years in prison for ex-US cop who shot dead Black man at traffic stop​

2021-12-17T000000Z_1616500158_RC2HGR9W8TAL_RTRMADP_3_USA-RACE-DAUNTEWRIGHT.JPG

Kim Potter breaks down in tears as she testifies during her trial in Minnesota. PHOTO: REUTERS

PUBLISHED

FEB 19, 2022, 3:41 AM SGT

FacebookTwitter

MINNEAPOLIS (AFP) - A former US police officer who shot dead a young African-American man after mistaking her gun for her Taser was sentenced to two years in prison on Friday (Feb 18) after an emotional court hearing.
Kim Potter, 49, was convicted in December of first- and second-degree manslaughter for shooting Daunte Wright in the chest during a traffic stop in Brooklyn Centre, a Minneapolis suburb, in April 2021.
Judge Regina Chu rejected the prosecution's request that Potter be given seven years in prison and sentenced her to two years, of which the former officer will have to serve at least 16 months.

"This is one of the saddest cases I've had in my 20 years on the bench," Chu said.
"On the one hand, a young man was killed and on the other a respected 26-year veteran police officer made a tragic error by pulling her handgun instead of her Taser.
"I recognise there will be those who disagree with the sentence," the judge said.

"There is no question that Ms Potter is extremely remorseful.

"Officer Potter made a mistake that ended tragically. She never intended to hurt anyone. Her conduct cries out for a sentence significantly below the guidelines," Chu said, wiping away tears.
Chu's sentencing came after Wright's mother, Katie Wright, other members of the Wright family, and Potter herself addressed the court.
"I'll never be able to forgive you for what you've stolen from us," Katie Wright said, addressing Potter.

"She took our baby boy with a single gunshot through the heart. She shattered mine.
"He had so much life ahead of him," she added of her son, who was 20 years old when he died and the father of a baby boy.
"You took his future, what he could have been."
MINN-OFFICER-SENTENCING-5.JPG

Katie Wright, the mother of Daunte Wright, speaks to reporters outside the courthouse in Minneapolis after the sentencing of Kim Potter. PHOTO: NYTIMES
MORE ON THIS TOPIC
Minneapolis police say officer mistakenly fired gun in fatal shooting of Black man
A sobbing Potter told the Wright family she was sorry.
"I understand a mother's love and I am sorry I broke your heart," she told Daunte Wright's mother. "I am so sorry that I hurt you so badly."

'Murdered him all over again'​

The shooting of Wright, whose father is Black and whose mother is white, came during the trial of Derek Chauvin, a white Minneapolis police officer who was convicted of the murder of George Floyd, a 46-year-old African-American man.
Chauvin, who kneeled on the neck of a handcuffed Floyd for nearly 10 minutes until he passed out and died, is serving 22 years in prison for the murder.
Floyd's death was filmed by a bystander and sparked months of protests in the United States against racial injustice and police brutality. Wright's death triggered several nights of protests and unrest in Brooklyn Center before Potter's arrest calmed tensions.
Wright's parents addressed reporters after the sentencing and expressed disappointment with the outcome.
"Kim Potter murdered my son," Katie Wright said. "Today, the justice system murdered him all over again."
Arbuey Wright, Daunte Wright's father, said "I feel cheated. I feel hurt. I'm very upset."
TOPSHOTS-TOPSHOT-US-POLICE-HOMICIDE-RACISM-TRIAL-093930_0.jpg

A demonstrator holds images of Daunte Wright as he awaits the verdict against Kim Potter, in December 2021. PHOTO: AFP
Prosecutor Matthew Frank, who also prosecuted the Floyd murder case, had asked the judge to impose a sentence that was "an acknowledgment that police officers are subject to the law like everybody else."
"Remorse alone is not enough," Frank said. "We should expect defendants to have remorse."
Potter and other officers had stopped Wright's car on April 11, 2021, for a minor traffic violation.
After realising that Wright was the subject of an arrest warrant, the police officers decided to arrest him.
Wright, who was unarmed, resisted being handcuffed and restarted his car to try to flee. Potter then drew what she said she thought was her Taser.
On a body-camera recording of the scene, Potter can be heard shouting "Taser" several times, before shooting and fatally wounding Wright.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Fucking nigger should stop resisting arrest. He had arrest warrants on him. When police tell you they want to handcuff you and arrest you, and you resist them aka fight with them, then who's fault is it if you get shot by them? I don't understand why the American justice system don't recognize that when u physically resist police, they are required to use even greater force to subdue you.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fucking nigger should stop resisting arrest. He had arrest warrants on him. When police tell you they want to handcuff you and arrest you, and you resist them aka fight with them, then who's fault is it if you get shot by them? I don't understand why the American justice system don't recognize that when u physically resist police, they are required to use even greater force to subdue you.
Well said...comply with the police..n not happy launch a complain later..