• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

'Am I hindering others?': The fears and anxieties of taking the bus after becoming a wheelchair user

Voldermort

Alfrescian
Loyal
1652595706707.png

SINGAPORE: Waiting for the bus can make Mr Mikail Wong feel anxious.

The 44-year-old became a wheelchair user due to a spinal injury two years ago, and sometimes thinks he’s “a bit troublesome” to other commuters.

“When I’m going to take the bus, other commuters might look at me. I feel paiseh (embarrassed in Hokkien) ... Am I hindering others? Am I causing trouble to them? Luckily we wear masks. If no mask, even more paiseh,” he shared with CNA.

Rainy days have been the greatest challenge thus far, as Mr Wong would have to map out another route to his destination.

“Those places that we go are quite regular, but for new places ... we don’t know whether there’s shelter along the way or whether there's a slope or ramp. I might need to go a longer distance to the next slope or ramp, and get wet in the rain,” he said.

Then there was the time a bus captain accidentally dropped the wheelchair ramp while lowering it during a rainy day – splashing rainwater all over Mr Wong.

As Mr Wong recounted the incident during a public bus confidence course jointly conducted by SPD (a local charity that serves people with disabilities) and transport operator Tower Transit Singapore, he laughed it off. But his frustration was evident.

The course, which is free and open to the public, was launched last year to help people with mobility challenges regain their confidence in travelling on public buses.

With the recent push for Singapore’s public transport to be more inclusive during the Ministry of Transport’s Committee of Supply debate in March, such courses could play a more significant role.

Course participants learn how to board and alight from a bus safely. Importantly, the psychological impact of acquiring a disability and becoming a wheelchair user, especially as an adult, isn’t glossed over.

More at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sin...s-bus-ramps-disabled-public-transport-2646311

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
What a wimp! Sinkees should learn from this fierce tiongbu... "You are a bus captain, I don't owe you anything!"

1652598464281.png

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
He can add a motor to his wheelchair and take up a lane with the cyclists and pmds
No aircon, not as fast but he will get there.

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
1652604002951.png

In Perth the bus captain need not have to get off the bus to lay the connecting platform for the wheelchair to board the bus. It's fully automatic and the movable platform extends and retracts over the pavement by the press of a button.

Singapore is 1st world. I wonder why the buses are still so behind time. It's the extra effort by the bus captain - close the front door to prevent boarding, get off the bus and lay the connecting platform, get on to the bus and open the front door - that is causing unnecessary mental stress to the handicapped.